Any Microwaves that can run off of a 900 watt inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that Westinghouse microwave in my van to pop popcorn with my 1100w MSW inverter. I also used it on alternating current. Now, I only had 300ah of battery. Compared to popping the corn on AC, it took 1/3 longer to make 1/3 less popcorn on the inverter. It did drag with that inverter and I ended up turning on the engine part way through the popcorn experiment.

I wasn't planning on using the microwave in my van, I was just curious. But Hubby has 450ah of battery and a 1500 w inverter and will be using that and his 800w Keurig coffee maker in his van. I'm sticking with my French press in my trailer, I like it better.
Ted

I will get a quality (Jap preferably) 600 - 700w microwave. It only makes sense to limit equipment capacities so everything flows and works in harmony. It's like a 13.5k btu roof ac (Penguin II): barebones ac that you can run for free and not effect gas mileage when driving too (w/ alternator and li-ion.) With a small microwave, you just run the Max of the cooking range listed instead of the Middle of the range: no big deal, 15 seconds or so usually. If you can suck 20 years of free energy out of the li-ion battery with many, many free 8 hour days of ac from the battery, it's not that expensive at all. And you guys West of the Mississippi don't even need ac at all I hear (don't forget your sunscreen!)

You can have your cake and eat it too, just so long as you don't gorge yourself needlessly  :p

WalkaboutTed said:
I tried that Westinghouse microwave in my van to pop popcorn with my 1100w MSW inverter. I also used it on alternating current.  Now, I only had 300ah of battery.  Compared to popping the corn on AC, it took 1/3 longer to make 1/3 less popcorn on the inverter.  It did drag with that inverter and I ended up turning on the engine part way through the popcorn experiment.

I wasn't planning on using the microwave in my van, I was just curious.  But Hubby has 450ah of battery and a 1500 w inverter and will be using that and his 800w Keurig coffee maker in his van. I'm sticking with my French press in my trailer, I like it better.
Ted

I am very happy with the 600 watt microwave I got. Microwave popcorn is one of the very few things it does not do well I am sure. I haven't tried though because I always pop my popcorn in a pot with coconut oil,  melted butter, and Himalayan sea salt and it is SOOOO much better tasting than any microwave popcorn. Propane stoves pop popcorn very fast. My inverter is a pure sine, all of my electronics at exactly how they do when running off household power.

breeze said:
And you guys West of the Mississippi don't even need ac at all I hear (don't forget your sunscreen!)

Now what gave you that idea? When it is 105 F at a mile high in Denver, it is 85-90 F at 10,000 ft in Jefferson.

I am glad to hear the 600w microwave does well enough. It will take longer than my 900w pulling 1375w for up to 18 minutes at a time but it will nuke a lasagna without my batteries ever knowing it.