Any Microwaves that can run off of a 900 watt inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripper

Reaction score
Are the any microwaves that will run off of a pro sine 1000 inverter (900 watt max).  It would be a lot easier for me to swap out a microwave than the inverter, and much cheaper.

I use a 700watt microwave. That's output. Input needs to be 960watts continuous and start surge is 1270 watts.
I'm not aware of anything smaller that would work for you. And keep in mind, if you do find one it's going to run a lot longer to create the same heating results as a 1000watt micro.
I just boil water with mine so not that big of a deal.

All standard microwave ovens are designed to plug into a 15 amp, 120 volt outlet. That is 1800 watts.

Itripper said:
Are the any microwaves that will run off of a pro sine 1000 inverter (900 watt max).  It would be a lot easier for me to swap out a microwave than the inverter, and much cheaper.

Check out one of the Best Compact Microwaves site. Lists a few 900w (even one 700w) microwaves.

Attachments

• Microwaves.jpg
    Microwaves.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 15
The only true low power microwave that I know of, first hand, for the US market was the Sharp Half Pint, no longer made, but often they show up on ebay.

(just search for sharp half pint)

I have an old one, it is blue, and beat all to heck from hundreds of thousands of miles in a semi...but it still works....sorta!

Back in the day, the compartments inside the sleepers, and also, inverters, were smaller so the half-pint was a good fit back then. 

They are rated at 8 or 9 amps, depending on exact model. My 1000 watt generator will not run it....but if your inverter has a high surge rating it might.

I don't own this, but found a Westinghouse WCM660W 600 Watt Counter Top Rotary Microwave Oven, 0.6 Cubic Feet, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGTO1WC/

SPECIFICATIONS
• Power Consumption: 120V~60Hz, 850W
• MWO Power: 600W
• Operation Frequency: 2450MHz
• Outside Dimensions (H x W x D): 10 5/16” x 17 13/16” x 13 5/8”
• Oven Cavity Dimensions (H x W x D): 7 13/16” x 12 3/8” x 11 9/16”
• Oven Capacity: 0.6 cubic feet
• Net Weight: Approx. 23.1 lbs.

What information that is overlooked, one may run on less than 1000 watt inverter, but will not start on less than 2000 watt inverter.

My Pro Watt 1000 inverter say it is 900 watts continuous, 1000 watts max, and 2000 watts surge capable, so it might run
"I use a 700watt microwave. That's output. Input needs to be 960watts continuous and start surge is 1270 watts"

So it might run that 700 watt microwave, I'm sure it would be pushing it.

RVTravel said:
I don't own this, but found a Westinghouse WCM660W 600 Watt Counter Top Rotary Microwave Oven, 0.6 Cubic Feet, Black

SPECIFICATIONS
•  Power Consumption: 120V~60Hz, 850W
•  MWO Power: 600W
•  Operation Frequency: 2450MHz
•  Outside Dimensions (H x W x D): 10 5/16” x 17 13/16” x 13 5/8”
•  Oven Cavity Dimensions (H x W x D): 7 13/16” x 12 3/8” x 11 9/16”
•  Oven Capacity: 0.6 cubic feet
•  Net Weight: Approx. 23.1 lbs.
Nice, in theory my inverter should be able to run this with its 900 watt continuous and 2000 watt surge.  I will order this and see.  A lot cheaper than spending big bucks on a 2000 watt inverter.

Also I see in the questions/answers for this microwave on Amazon:
"The input is around 850 to 900 watts. I don't have the oven in front of me to look at but this was the reason I bought it. I am running it off of a 1000 watt power inverter in my semi truck and needed a low wattage microwave"
"According to my meter (I'm running from an inverter, too), it's right around 900; fluctuates from 889 to 915 just a bit, but mostly hovers from 894 to 901"
" I have since checked the wattage while the Westinghouse WCM660W 600 watt microwave oven was in use using an inexpensive AC watt meter. The wattage ranged between 940 and 980 watts in several tests. There doesn't appear to be any surge on start as you would experience with a refrigerator"

Also my absolute favorite, it has KNOBS, I totally hate have to do multiple button presses to start cooking

I used a 700 watt microwave in the big truck. Basically I used it for nuking those vegetable steamers in the bag, warming up leftovers and popcorn. Had a 1500 watt inverter and it also ran the dorm fridge and TV/satellite receiver all at the same time with no struggle. I could also use the electric skillet, fridge and TV/satellite receiver all at the same time with no problems either. Basically, the fridge was on all the time but the compressor only kicked on once in a while. I could use my Mr. Coffee and a toaster with the TV going in the morning. The generator would crank up from time to time of course but never once did the inverter balk at what I was doing. I think once you get above 1500 watts you need two 12 volt input cables. 1500 was plenty for my uses. I did notice that if I left the microwave on and set the clock it would not stay correct. It does at home plugged into the wall. Go figure.... Cobra and a few other brands have something that looks like a telephone connection for a remote on/off switch so you can put the inverter as close to the batteries as possible and not have to futz around to turn it on and off. I had one but never used it since I never turned it off. The fridge was on all the time, even when I was home on hometime. Don't know of this helps any but it was my experiences using inverters and such.

Oh yeah, take the plate out of the microwave when you travel. That thing will bounce around like crazy. Dunno it would break but I wouldn't wanna take any chances. Or, stuff an old pillow inside the microwave to stop the bouncing. I did both and both options worked.. when I remembered it.

My inverter is located 24" from the battery 2 gauge cables and I do have a remote switch.  I am very happy with the ProWatt 1000, I ran it for a week straight during all daylight hours in 90+ degree heat pulling 700 watts continuously.  I am hoping it will power up the 600 watt Microwave as it would be a huge pain (space wise, running larger cables etc) to replace the inverter with a bigger one, and expensive.

I only need the microwave to reheat leftovers.  Everything else I cook fresh on an induction hotplate or stovetop. I don't have a generator.

Maybe on initial runs, don't run it at highest heat power to see how it does with your inverter?

You can get a Panasonic inverter Microwave that uses less power when you set the power level lower. Most microwaves use ful power in short burst.

jimindenver said:
You can get a Panasonic inverter Microwave that uses less power when you set the power level lower. Most microwaves use ful power in short burst.

Interesting, I would have liked that one better, it is triple the price of the 600 watt though. I get the 600 watt one tomorrow, if it doesn't work out I will try this one.

RVTravel said:

SPECIFICATIONS
•  Power Consumption: 120V~60Hz, 850W
•  MWO Power: 600W
•  Operation Frequency: 2450MHz
•  Outside Dimensions (H x W x D): 10 5/16” x 17 13/16” x 13 5/8”
•  Oven Cavity Dimensions (H x W x D): 7 13/16” x 12 3/8” x 11 9/16”
•  Oven Capacity: 0.6 cubic feet
•  Net Weight: Approx. 23.1 lbs.
Just passing this info on this microwave works great with the pro watt 1000 inverter by Xantrex. I ran it for 5 minutes straight and started it up several times boiling water, it works well and doesn't appear to have a large surge. I love that it only has 2 knobs time and power, no energy robbery no digital display or multiple button pushes  to start.

That's great! I have a similar microwave I installed in my old motorhome, I still have it. 

I like the simple operation too, the only thing you have to remember is to rotate the timer to OFF if you pull something out before the bell, because when you close the door, it will try to start cooking again, with nothing in there!

I have been looking at that model to replace the pig that pulls 1375w I have now. I produce more than 850 watt in the summer so it would not be such a drain on the batteries to run it for longer periods.

Here's a useful list of mini microwave units along with their dimensions. All of them run on less than 750W so any of these should do the job.