Any ideas how to get a vehicle to live in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awner81

Reaction score
I am on SSI/SSD and get about $750.00 a month, after bills I have about $200.00USD left. sometimes around $150.00 left. I bought a car last year but got scammed. I am having very many difficulties trying to save again and am unable to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Where are you living now? What are your disabilites? The more you let us know the better people in this group will be able to answer your questions. Some cities have nonprofits that accept donated cars and give them to low income people I believe. Insurance and registration would be what you need to save for first.

East TX, disabilities, PTSD, severe social anxiety, severe chronic depression, ocd, adhd, avoidant personality disorder, suicidal tendencies, regular anxiety, Addictive personality.

Do you own property? Are you renting? Living with friends or family? On the streets? Besides money what type of resources do you have? Take a hard look at things you can do physically, mentally as well as how those affect your income if you did them.

renting from my aunt, who refuses to let me go without paying rent. i think she is doing it because she knows once i get a car i am gone and she won't get anymore money from me.  she is all the family i have, don't even have friends. and there are no other resources i tried for years to get other resources.

Sometimes you have to make or develop your resourses. The internet has made it much easier to do so. Start by searching out any nonprofit or community organizations that may have programs that might help you. While doing this look for ones you might volenteer to help. Little things have a way of growing into big things sometimes. I put an add up at a local bullition board in a store for any odd job once, willing to work for any thing. Got some really bad jobs but once word got around I got some really good jobs. Good enough to raise a family while putting myself through college. The internet allows you to work at home on a piece by piece basis. Sell something on Craigslist, Ebay or learn how to market skills learned off the internet. I mean if you can not be around people or have long periods where you can not function, so what, use the few good minutes to do something that makes you better. Lots of ways out there and lots of help if you will just search when you can.

I agree strongly with the volunteering thing. It can do a lot to help a person's soul if they spend some time and effort helping others, possibly others much less fortunate.

I had a long period of unemployment, and eventually I found our local version of Meals on Wheels, called Food and Friends. We drove a free lunch out to shut-ins, the disabled, incapacitated seniors, and some people who simply liked a daily food delivery and would pay for it. When doing that, you're probably quite often the only person that person might see or talk to all day. They tend to be very grateful and glad to see you. It's nice for you, and nice for them.

We didn't get paid, just reimbursed for mileage.

You can meet more people, who can possibly help you in the future, if you get out and volunteer than if you stay home. It's worth going to some trouble for. And even if you don't or can't help yourself, you'd be helping others.

Dingfelder said:
I agree strongly with the volunteering thing.  It can do a lot to help a person's soul if they spend some time and effort helping others, possibly others much less fortunate.

I had a long period of unemployment, and eventually I found our local version of Meals on Wheels, called Food and Friends.  We drove a free lunch out to shut-ins, the disabled, incapacitated seniors, and some people who simply liked a daily food delivery and would pay for it.  When doing that, you're probably quite often the only person that person might see or talk to all day.  They tend to be very grateful and glad to see you.  It's nice for you, and nice for them.

We didn't get paid, just reimbursed for mileage.  

You can meet more people, who can possibly help you in the future, if you get out and volunteer than if you stay home.  It's worth going to some trouble for. And even if you don't or can't help yourself, you'd be helping others.

See, here is the thing, I live in a small hobunk town that has nothing but a walmart, a few pharmacies, over 20 fast food restaurants, 10 dine in restaurants, about 15 churches. I am not religious and I been to all the churches and ended up walking out because I don't believe in the stuff they were preaching or how they were preaching. We have no uber, no lyft no local taxi, no bus. It is 25 miles one way to the nearest town. Remember, I have no car, My aunt only allows me to use her car once a month to get to the dr/store. I can barely walk 2 miles because of my back and knees. I have arthritis in my lower back and rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. I was on meloxicam but it started messing with my kidney levels now I am on otc meds and they do not help at all. Some days I can barely get out of bed or off the couch. 

You had a car and was able to do the meals on wheels, I have no vehicle. and I don't know where else to go to volunteer. We don't have much around for volunteering. and as for websites, I don't know what ones I could actually make money on.

I take duloxetine (brand name Cymbalta- it's not just an anti-depressant!) for my joint pain. Non-hepatic and non-nephrotoxic. Won't eat a hole in your stomach, either. Best pain killer I've ever taken. While that doesn't answer your question directly, that may help indirectly.

awner81, I'm rated 100 percent disabled, I say that because only you understand your disabilities completely. That's the way it is for me, and suspect as much you may try to explain what you have going on, no one can completely understand.

So this is just an idea, because I don't pretend to know what will work for you. For example I have mild post traumatic stress, and it's hard for me just to be in a Walmart. But, have you considered going without a car? I know many on this form, if not most will disagree with me when I say I don't think on $700 a month you can afford a car. Yes, people have presented budgets on $500 a month. But the first time you break down your paying a shop $120 per hour plus parts for repairs, and this is after insurance, gas, and maintenance. Emergency fund if you have one will evaporate. Then it becomes a race to save up for the next emergency on (let's face it) a very well used car.

When I became disabled I gave my small SUV away. Could you ride the train, or bus? In my case I would try to get a passport and passport card (as a backup) because it does require an address on the ID, and this is a valid government picture ID. Valid for ten years. But if all you have is  DL at your aunts address that would work too for a while. With a backpack and a change of cloths you could travel the rails via Amtrak. When you get enough of that you could backpack Europe. It wouldn't take much money to add a compact sleeping bag, a bevy and a hammock. I have all this that fits inside a normal backpack, book bag type size. I have a very good walker that can help me carry the backpack and gives me a place to rest (sit) for $89,,, with wheels. My cloths are synthetic fabric and can be washed out in any bathroom sink and be dry in a hour. One thing you won't see how to do much is waiting... yes waiting. sometimes when you arrive at a terminal (bus, train, or air) it may be the middle of the night, or just during the day and you may need to rest before you move on. Place your ticket stub in your front pocket, sticking out enough to see, grab a chair and take a nap. Security will see the ticket stub and most likely leave you alone. If they do ask what your doing, you honestly tell them what you came in on and then tell them your waiting for your ride.

Which brings me to having a smart phone. You won't find the kind of stuff you need if you want to try this at Walmart. You'll need a smart phone to locate someplace like an Academy Sporting Goods on your fist trip (or order on line). Also the smart phone with Google satellite and street view, you can find places to sleep. I once spent a month off the 101 in San Jose, CA. I had dinner, wash a dish, brushed my teeth, sponge bath, and wash my hair each day on  liter of water. But I can tell you after a month, your ants house would look pretty good.

My setup includes a USB solar charger and USB battery backup so I would have power where ever I was. All fits in my book bag style backpack, so I don't appear to be a typical homeless person.

If I was in better shape I would considered permanently hiking/camping the Pacific Crest Trail, but I'm too disabled for that.

Only you know if this; or parts would work for you. But if what you really want is a car, it of course won't work. Be honest with yourself and do a budget.

Finally I get it in East Texas. It was there that Christians, through their actions and words, that convinced me that God was a myth and does not exists.

awner81 said:
It is 25 miles one way to the nearest town.

You had a car and was able to do the meals on wheels, I have no vehicle. and I don't know where else to go to volunteer. We don't have much around for volunteering. and as for websites, I don't know what ones I could actually make money on.
Will your aunt be willing to drop you off and pick you up once a week?

I live in a small town too, doesn't sound all that much bigger than yours.  We have opportunities for people with all sorts of problems at a local nursery, from watering plants and clean-up to working the cash register and answering customer questions.  All volunteer stuff, done to support a charity for the same sort of people that get the jobs in the nursery.  

We also have a publicly-run volunteer library, since the County and State withdrew support some years ago.

Additionally, we have thrift stores galore helped out by volunteers of various ages and abilities, as well as animal shelters and activities in elementary schools.  There is the annual fair, farmers markets, and several organizations have fund-raisers throughout the year.

If you can get to town at all, perhaps with the help of a friend or a car-pooling fellow volunteer, there may be quite a few volunteer opportunities even in a small town.  You can ask at one charity about the others, or phone the town officials to ask.  Every county has a variety of senior citizen services which tend to know each other and can point volunteers in the right direction.

It may be quite some trouble, but if you can do anything at all -- it doesn't have to be heavy work -- you can probably find some opportunity to get out of the house and volunteer.  It's great for others and refills your karma bank.  It's worth the trouble if you can swing it, even if only to get yourself out of the house once in a while for sanity purposes, even if you wind up not loving it.

ptsd did you serve? if so I have gotten all kinds of help on many things from va and vet organizations

For the time being a moped may serve you well. Strap a milk crate to it and away you go. Where I live they do not need to be registered or insured, but insurance is cheap if you want piece of mind. Here you don't even need a motorcycle drivers license, just a regular license.

You might be able to make some side money collecting cans, bottles or running errands for others.
You can start acquiring things like stoves, sleeping bags, and other things cheap at yard sales. If you really need a car try an auction. Most counties have them once a year. Like others have said, vehicles are a drain on the pocket, so don't rush into getting something. Living in a car may not even suit you. If you have your needs met now, just take your time.

may try local church i new a lady that got a free used car. to do full time living in it and on SSI u better check what they will do. my experience they will cut ya off if ya not follow there rules. SSI thought i had equity in house i gave back to bank when i lost everything and they cut off my money. if not for my sister paying rent till i got court papers showing i did not have equity i would of been in car with no money. now im 62 i get retirement money an little SSI i have much more freedom.

Latest posts