Any good new AWD vans out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
Is there anything on the market right now in a high top commercial van (no interior or windows) that comes in all wheel drive (for pulling a trailer in snow sometimes)?   

Budget is ~$40,000 so probably gas.

What do people like right now?

Mercedes. That's about it.

But in 4x4 configuration, new, they are way past 40 large.

There are aftermarket 4x4 conversion upfitters for Nissan NV (and the Ford Transit I think) and of course the Chevy vans, so if you are willing to go that route, it can be done.

I'm just putting a rear locker on the ambo. If I start to spin flip on the locker & I have 2 wheels pulling just like a reg 4WD.

They are supposedly coming out with a setup for all the one tons.
Electric front drives that bolt right on the spindles.
You add a couple of batteries and for short off-road distances, (like moving a trailer) when your rears begin slipping, it hits the front wheels with traction with power. Very good for MPG too. They are trying to have the front help with take offs and store energy while stopping for added braking as well.

find the make and model of awd van you like, get a high top put onto it. When you know the make and brand you can get a quote for a high top put onto it. Then you can shop for the actual vehicle with really low miles on it.

When you do the build out on a diesel Mercedes Sprinter cargo van with high top, 4x4 and 170 inch wheel base it comes out to about $57,000, which is actually somewhat cheaper than they used to be (I remember looking at them 10 years ago and a non 4x4 was $60k).   I don't know why they would be cheaper now than years ago....

Are they still considered decent vans?

IGBT said:
When you do the build out on a diesel Mercedes Sprinter cargo van...

Are they still considered decent vans?
Would not be the first one that comes to mind for towing.
The V6 not as blessed with rock solidity as the 5 cylinder was.

IGBT, how heavy is the trailer you are needing to tow?

JD GUMBEE said:
Would not be the first one that comes to mind for towing.
The V6 not as blessed with rock solidity as the 5 cylinder was.

IGBT, how heavy is the trailer you are needing to tow?

Either a ~2000 pound loaded small snowmobile trailer or a ~3500 pound sailboat with trailer

IGBT said:
I don't know why they would be cheaper now than years ago....

I'm guessing, and thats all it is, that with more competiton in the USA with the other euro-style vans, and the fact that they build/assemble them in the USA now, avoiding some import tariffs and transportation cost, that helps push the price down a bit.

MrNoodly said:
There's a difference between AWD and 4WD. 

For the sake of simplicity in this thread, I, and presumably the OP, are lumping both drive systems into one category, since new, commercial, hightop vans are USUALLY 2WD, and rarely AWD or 4WD.

If new, commercial, hightop vans could be purchased from the dealer with a choice of either AWD or 4WD, then we could talk about the differences in the two systems.

Either way, the choices are slim to almost none.

The 2020 Transit is offering AWD along with new drive trains and optional swivel seats. All concessions to full-timers. I don't have enough posts to link to the article.

But if all he actually wants is AWD, then it can eliminate talk of things like Quigley conversions. Because there are a few people who feel 4x4 is always the answer, regardless of the question.

Yep, in that case, the choices right now, in the USA, are pretty much zilch. (again: new, commercial, hightop)

If Ford offers an AWD High-Roof Transit for 2020, as posted above, I would tend to be cautious and wait-n-see for a year or two before I took that gamble, because it would probably be an all-new drive system.

I was not even aware GM no longer offered AWD in the light units.
Pricer to rebuild than the normal L60 stuff, but they did pretty much as well in longevity.
...and the lack of steering wheel tell tale "I am a cumbersome 4X4 vehicle" feel compared to the Quigleys, made them very tame for all drivers. Certainly enough beef for the kind of towing the OP is looking for.
Those electric hybrid front drive units sure would be nice if they worked.
(All 3500 spindles though.)

tx2sturgis said:
Yep, in that case, the choices right now, in the USA, are pretty much zilch. (again: new, commercial, hightop)

If Ford offers an AWD High-Roof Transit for 2020, as posted above, I would tend to be cautious and wait-n-see for a year or two before I took that gamble, because it would probably be an all-new drive system.

A link to some news on the Ford's

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=35779&pid=440677#pid440677