Any Collectors?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarfersnarf

Reaction score
One of the biggest personal obstacles for me becoming full time was letting go of some of my collections. I have been collecting shit since I was a kid when my dad gave me a few of his coins to jump start the collection I have to this day. I am obsessed with VHS especially, but I also collect records, audio cassette, post cards, animal bones, and some others. Needless to say the VHS takes up a ton of room as I have over 500 tapes. I also have about the same amount of records and those are HEAVY. I started to list my more rare VHS on Instagram @snarfersnarfVHS, and yes people do buy them. I pay about 50 cents a tape at thrift stores and I have sold some for $15. My largest order was $69. I can ship media mail which is very cheap. I plan on selling my tapes down considerably and keep my essential movies. I will be hitting every thrift store I see when I finally hit the road this spring and continue to sell VHS online. I have not started to sell my records, yet. I will be starting to very soon once I let some of my friends get first dibs on what I have. I have a ton of old 70s punk and hardcore records so I will be able to stack some money for the journey ahead. I am not going to  sell my coins as they have sentimental value, but it is a good last resort if anything bad should happen. I am happy that my hobby is going to directly help me start to live the life I have dreamed about. 

Anyone out there collect anything??

I collect shiny gold colored metal. LOL.

BTW be very careful with animal bones. possession of non-game animal parts is illegal. of course this doesn't apply to domestic animals.

highdesertranger

yes - and I really don't believe in keeping a storage unit ... decision making time is coming ...

PattySprinter said:
yes - and I really don't believe in keeping a storage unit ... decision making time is coming ...

ugh, I know. I am lucky enough my pal is letting me store all my crap for the next few months. I am hoping to have enough sold down to just have my "desert island" records and movies by the time I leave. When I am home in New England I can leave stuff with my parents. I will probably rent a unit at some point. I will only do so if I am making enough money with online sales to justify it though.

My mantra: Don't collect things that collect dust.

I have a notepad on my phone and I collect quotes and sayings, sometimes song lyrics and poems.

It's still hard though. The material things I find myself attached to are family heirlooms. Silly things like my great grandmother's cast iron griddle. A set of hand forged forks that my grandmother had when she first got married. My great grandfathers hand tools. Things I won't need on the road but can't justify putting in storage.

old film camera lenses. Started selling them to lessen and fund a small van project. :D

gsfish said:
"I am obsessed with VHS especially"

I feel your pain,, I'm a "Tracky"...... 8-Tracker that is. Only the occasional one these days and try to keep it under a buck. Coolest so far is one by DEVO! Who knew! On the lookout for a four channel player since I have some four channel tapes.

Guy

Nice, I have a few 8 tracks. The only cool ones I have is a Bowie and a Bob Dylan planet waves. DEVO is a pretty cool score! Happy hunting!

sometimesido said:
old film camera lenses. Started selling them to lessen and fund a small van project. :D

That is really cool you get to do what you love and make some money doing it!

wagoneer said:
Memories, although the years are taking toll .

I am going to be focusing on my memory collection more now that I am selling off a lot of my physical collections.

highdesertranger said:
I collect shiny gold colored metal.  LOL.

BTW be very careful with animal bones.  possession of non-game animal parts is illegal.  of course this doesn't apply to domestic animals.  

highdesertranger

Thanks for the heads up!

I collect rocks that I dig out the ground. Small shiny rocks like this.

30vjfgj.jpg

Chip

With half an opportunity I collect just about anything of debatable value which can be sold, recycled or re-purposed at some future time when we, or others have a need we can resolve. I am unable to count the wheels I must abandon. A dispersed lifestyle will be a challenge. wheels

sushidog said:
I collect rocks that I dig out the ground. Small shiny rocks like this.

30vjfgj.jpg

Chip
Wow! So beautiful. How did you get into looking for them? I am interested in the hobby, but don't really know how to start. Know of any good books I should check out?

there are "Gem Trails" books available for many states. just search "Gem Trails Oregon" book, or whatever state in place of Oregon. there are also many "Rock Hounding" books, these are more area related books like "Rock Hounding out of Bishop", which is Bishop CA. many states have there own guides. Oregon has an excellent state map dedicated rock hounds. highdesertranger

My biggest challenge is going to be pictures, counting ones from previous generations, about 100 years worth. Have a lot of money invested in frames and albums, not to mention about a dozen of those shoebox size boxes full. Can't afford storage, daughter has her own collection to deal with and has pretty much run out of space herself. There's nobody else to give them to. I can part with personal stuff but feel like the pictures shouldn't just be thrown out. Any input from folks who've solved this issue? Thanks.

digitalize them. you can scan then to all kinds of different digital mediums. highdesertranger

mert6706 said:
My biggest challenge is going to be pictures, counting ones from previous generations, about 100 years worth.
Any input from folks who've solved this issue? Thanks.

I definitely have Not solved any issues for storage of my own horde but would suggest you digitize them as HDR suggested, so you can retain a copy for personal use in a small package.  If many are old, perhaps of folks wearing period clothing, you might consider long term loan or donating to a museum and try to get them to agree to keep the collection together for 30 years ???  wheels