Any Burners Here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
I am wondering how many people who are vandwelling are in the Burning Man culture, especially those who have attended regional Burning Man events or have been residents of Black Rock City? We have rigs to be radically self reliant for at least a week, some for more than a month. Any Burners Here?

I've never attended, but I'm also interested in responses to this. Are "dwelling" vehicles suited for Burning Man?

I've always wanted to go, but I never have. (though it IS on my bucket list)

Seems like whenever I hear about it...it's already gone by for that year. :(

I'll get there sometime.

Re: Burning Man... I think the tickets are something like $800 !!! That's a little, no, make that A LOT more than I can afford to camp out in the Nevada desert, in the hottest part of summer, for a week, with no water, a s*it load of dust, naked people, to see some art.

Living in the Bay Area, I met a lot of people who were Burners (and a few here in Austin). Because Bob doesn't like us saying negative things about people, this is a very short post.

GrantRobertson said:
Living in the Bay Area, I met a lot of people who were Burners (and a few here in Austin). Because Bob doesn't like us saying negative things about people, this is a very short post.

Mark Twain said " That's just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they know nothing about it."

Marie said:
Re: Burning Man... I think the tickets are something like $800 !!! That's a little, no, make that A LOT more than I can afford to camp out in the Nevada desert, in the hottest part of summer, for a week, with no water, a s*it load of dust, naked people, to see some art.

I've worked at the "`Burn" for the last 17 years as a Ranger.
Tickets are just under $400 now a days.

It's not the "Hottest part of Summer", it's in late Aug/early Sept. Maybe mid 90's in the day time, but not always. Sometimes much colder.

Yes, it's very dusty (clay powder) and you will never get it out of your rig, there will always be some trace hiding somewhere.

And the Art is amazing! Things that would be very hard (or impossible) to create in most settings.

Dear Low Tech, thanks for the updated info! I still can't afford $400, but at least it's in the "possible" range! It sounds interesting, and I've heard before that the art IS incredible!!! I've camped in the area before, and August is HOT! (Maybe I'm just a sissy!) thanks again for the info. (I'm pretty old fashioned! I'd be shocked by the nudity! I'd look, but I'd still be shocked!!!)

I went from 2001-2008, the last time I was out there for 3 weeks helping build a big art project. I may go back again if I find a good group working on something cool.

It's not something you can really describe fully to an outsider. It's a bit like when parents try to explain how amazing it is to have children. If you've never had one it sounds like an expensive, dirty, nasty pain in the butt and you just want them to stop talking about it.

If you want to go, just go. For a full week of anything it's not that expensive and you probably already have most of the gear you need.

Reducto said:
It's a bit like when parents try to explain how amazing it is to have children. If you've never had one it sounds like an expensive, dirty, nasty pain in the butt and you just want them to stop talking about it.

Hmm, my parents really never tried to explain that. I feel slightly insecure now.

Some of the pictures look amazing, but before reading the responses here I was thinking to myself, "wow, that just looks soooo dusty and dirty!" I think that would really bug me :)

Reducto said:
I went from 2001-2008, the last time I was out there for 3 weeks helping build a big art project. I may go back again if I find a good group working on something cool.

It's not something you can really describe fully to an outsider.
It's a bit like when parents try to explain how amazing it is to have children. If you've never had one it sounds like an expensive, dirty, nasty pain in the butt and you just want them to stop talking about it.

If you want to go, just go. For a full week of anything it's not that expensive and you probably already have most of the gear you need.

I totally get that, I feel the same way about the Michigan Womyns Music Festival, lots of people had plenty to say about it but had never been.  

And definitely go if you want to go, a lot of people put off going to MichFest and now it's gone.

I'm not a vandweller, but I have gone to Burning Man. How about you? :)

I went in 08, 09, 10, 11, and 13. It was absolutely incredible, and dare I say life altering. The event has doubled in both price and population since I first went, so I doubt I'll go back. However, I do plan on attending regionals once I hit the road again. Besides being fun, it also allowed me to test the livability of my last minivan camper in extreme dry heat. It did surprisingly well! The playa dust didn't bother me, but for those interested in going be warned it can wreck havoc under the hood. Here's a collection of my favorite photographs taken at the event: http://megansemple.zenfolio.com/p136226673

There used to be a camp run by and devoted to nomads out there: http://www.technomadia.com/campnomadia/ Sadly, it doesn't appear to be running anymore. Awesome couple who ran it though.

I was at the first one that was free but that does not a burner make. A friend used to bury cable and work in the coffee shop

Adrian, where was the first free one?

S. Loon, technomadia are taking a break, they ran their site for 9 years and the haters/commenters just burnt them out.

Correct L T Baker Beach (a great place to take all your clothes off) I had a small Viet nam era diesel generator that was caged and dropped out of helocopters I used to illuminate the hillside boy that was a while ago.

Queen said:
lots of people had plenty to say about it but had never been.  

And definitely go if you want to go, a lot of people put off going to MichFest and now it's gone.
I feel like Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert will be gone in the next few years. Every year could be it's last, looking at all the court cases and controversy surrounding BRC. Don't risk missing out, GO to BRC next year if one has the means.
Sentient Loon said:
... but for those interested in going be warned it can wreck havoc under the hood. ...http://megansemple.zenfolio.com/p136226673
The playa dust binding to lubed components under the hood and on the drivetrain in my experience. The worst mechanical thing to happen to the van from playa dust for me is squeaky brakes.
From a quick study and some discussion with my friends, a vehicle could probably be used for Burning Man, but it requires self containment, so think it through.
A vehicle is a semi-necessity if one wants an easy time by not being on other peoples schedules and not be limited in what one can bring. It takes an econobox trunkload to live decently on the playa, which includes the food, supplies, tent structure, gear and a costume. There is the event-sponsored Burner Express bus, which skips the ingress line but has a max 4 suitcases per-person; not to mention being on the Burner Express schedule. What do you mean by "requires self containment"?

The van is being built out to be fully self-sufficient for at least a week, in all departments. Water, food, fuel, comforts, clean clothes, greywater, entertainment, linens, etc.

I have heard many rumors that Burning Man was/is an excuse to use Drugs (no judgement if so). Can you confirm or deny these rumors?

Don't really think anyone that uses needs an "excuse". I feel the Burn is more about celebrating freedom. It was started as a place that you had the right to do as you choose, until it affected others in a bad way. Over the years some freedoms have been restricted, mostly do to Fed & Sheriff involvement.
It is still a place of amazing community and art.

I wouldn't say it's an excuse to do drugs, it's more that the demographics skew towards people who are already doing a lot of drugs all year. It's a safe place with lots of sensory input and people do take advantage of it.

There are a ton of cops out there, some in riot gear for some reason, some undercover, and everything in between passing out tickets and making arrests so it's mostly done out of sight.

I went for several years doing nothing at all and still enjoyed myself so it's not a requirement. I was offered things but I never had to say no more than once.