Another work-in-progress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramer

Reaction score
Hello All,

Three years ago I decided that I was finished with the brick and mortar model of living. To prepare for a nomadic lifestyle, I got rid of mostly everything - including the house - started exploring the options for living and traveling, and tested my ability to live small and simple by getting a job driving a big truck.

I've been living (and working / driving) in the truck for two years now and I'm still finding (and then disposing of) stuff in the truck that I don't need. 

Early last year I settled upon the combination of a heavy-duty pick-up truck and a small 5th wheel trailer. Last fall I found an F350 Super-Duty with the 7.3L PowerStroke diesel in good condition (and the right price!) and this finished the needed maintenance and repairs this spring.

I will be taking delivery of a 25' 5th wheel at the end of November and will use the next year to shake out any bugs and make my modifications and upgrades in anticipation of setting out to begin my journey by over wintering in AZ at the end of next year.

Thanks for having me, and I'm starting my count-down: 52 weeks to launch!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! You'll have a busy 52 weeks getting everything ready to go. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Congratulations on your vehicle purchases and start of your 52 week countdown. My son is also living and working in a truck right now. My daughter moved into a skoolie and I'll soon be buying a van to live in. Travel-living seems to be the best choice. I'm planning to give up my s/b apartment early next year.

25' is sure a tiny 5er! What make? I have the 27 ft Arctic Fox, and after living in a van for over 3 years it feels alternately like a palace or a millstone!

You definitely got the right tow vehicle.

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
25' is sure a tiny 5er!  What make?  I have the 27 ft Arctic Fox, and after living in a van for over 3 years it feels alternately like a palace or a millstone!

You definitely got the right tow vehicle.

The Dire Wolfess

It's a Palomino Puma 255RKS. 28' overall, but not many options for a smaller 5er.

You can never have too much tow vehicle, and the 7.3 PS is rock solid (not to mention, free of emissions control stuff).

Kramer

Looks real nice! You'll be comfy in that.

And yeah, the whole diesel thing nowadays is messed up. DEF is a pain, and it's not cheap either. I have a '15 Chevy 2500HD, tows like crazy, burns a whole lot of fuel and washes it down with plenty of DEF. But it gets the job done.

The Dire Wolfess

Welcome to the forum , and Congratulations. Hopefully you can debug it enough to make it to RTR in January instead of waiting till next year. If so I hope to cya there. Although January is next year lol not sure if you meant 2019 or 2020 RTR

Latest posts