Another way to stay cool

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ex-husband and I lived in a tiny third floor walk up with no AC. We used to take our spare sheets and wet them/ wring out then hang them with a fan aimed at them - one in each room we wanted cooled down. It worked well enough for us to be comfortable.<br><br>Wearing damp socks with a fan aimed at them will also lower your body temperature. We use this method with animals who are suffering heat exhaustion. We soak their paws with alcohol. (Please do not douse your socks in alcohol and walk near any fire source - use water on your socks!)<br><br>

She - you can make your own chill packs that are also multifunctional. I found this online:<br><br><b class="whb">Make a Cold pack</b>. Place some GREEN dish soap in a sealable bag style container. Only fill approximately 1/4 of the bag space with soap,(the green tends to work much better) and place it in the freezer. The soap doesn't harden but holds the cold temperature longer than ice and/or the blue ice containers. Once you are ready to use, place in a pillow case or fold in a towel. This allows several options for placement. Because the pack is not solid, it allows for versatility and comfort. This can also be used as an "Ice Pack" for muscle aches and pains. This is a much cheaper option to the store bought "Soft Packs" and works in the same way.<br><br>Hehe I'd seal it in two bags if you're gonna sleep with it - that would be one hell of a mess to wake up to but you'd be pre-soaped for your shower.<br><br>

<font class="Apple-style-span" size="2">This I will be doing. I did not find this&nbsp;</font><div><a href="http://www.sunfrost.com/sleep_genie.html" target="_blank">http://www.sunfrost.com/sleep_genie.html</a><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="2">site....</font>.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); "><font class="Apple-style-span" size="2"><a href="https://vanlivingforum.com/profile/1778636" style="color: rgb(59, 89, 152); text-decoration: underline; " target="_blank">sputnik</a>&nbsp;did.He PM me about it . And was very happy he did. I was worried about sleeping in ahumid are with no windows open. I emailed them and called today. Each system is made to order. It would cost about 350 bucks but just buying a generator would be more than that. I'd like to hear what other people think about this. Cherry your ideas are wonderful. I also did the sheet thing when we had a black out. Me and and the dog stayed outside huddled under wet sheets. The only way to stay cool. I just want something a little more stable for at night.</font></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); ">&nbsp;</span></div></div>

That is some great news She. &nbsp;Surprised, I thought they were going to be out-of-sight expensive. &nbsp;Let us know when you find out more. &nbsp;That's doable with some batteries as long as you got a way to recharge.<div>If you do go that route, may I suggest looking into the LiFePo4 batteries that the electric car folks are using? &nbsp;They will run circles around even the best lead-acid batteries and will last longer. &nbsp;Getting to be just about the same price when you compare them performance-wise (and much cheaper if you compare their lifetimes) and going to drop more in price soon, can't say when. &nbsp;The price dropped almost in half in the last couple of months, so next drop may be awhile.</div><div><br></div><div>Mike</div>