Another Newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDance57

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the Van and RV dweller community. I wanted to say Hi. I have seen Bob's and others videos on Youtube and you guys seem to have  a great sense of adventure. I am very impressed! I like the ideal of living simply, and being surrounded by beauty and nature. 

I am a long time camper and wish to try the life. but have not done much in the last 10 years. My wife and I plan to buy a Class C and do some camping and fishing. My youngest boy should be in college in three years and we hope to begin full timing then. But until then, I want to camp and fish and the wife wants to do dog shows. We both love nature. We live in Eureka CA, behind the Redwood Curtain. So we will have lots of nearby camping. Also, we hope to do some small music festivals.

My goal is to buy a used smallish RV this summer to learn by doing, then camp, fish, and make the next RTR this January and soak up information like a sponge! 

I will probably ask some dumb questions so bear with me.

Thanks
SunDance

Welcome SunDance to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard Sundance!
Ask us anything you need to know and get that plan on the road.....

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

When I read your post I thought back to 2007 and thought about how far the internet had come then from the later 90's.  (windows 95/98 era)  Also the availability of WIFI and Broadband internet connections too.  It's come such a long way and that includes enabling this way of life. 

And this not to mention "mobility" with Cell Phones that would tether or act as hot spots.

Those going on the road today have tremendous advantages over what existed only a few years ago.

There are some lovely free Compass app's you can install on your phone.

top-5-free-android-apps-5-1024x726.jpg

not to mention the GPS and even those showing you your elevation above sea level.  And free. 

There are links showing networks of Laundromats around the country,  Gym's where you can for a small fee
use any of them around the country.   You can go in as a member and use the showers/bathrooms to clean up and change clothing,  then kick back in the Lounge area and use your lap top while recharging your Cell.
Even spend the night on their parking lot before moving on the next morning.

If your RV only affords a bed and kitchenette the rest of the comforts of home can be found on the road quite easily. 

I'd invite you to view my websites below.  The first is about fixing up a Van to travel in and maybe a used cargo trailer.   May not be for you however.

The second is a Portal of links to information that could be useful while sitting at home planning a journey or while out on the road to find what you need while under way. 

By the way, since you like to fish there are app's that turn your Cell into a fish locator.

Youtube video

All the best !

I was looking through new posts and noticed your forum name was SunDance , not Sundance.......totally different.
Not Butch Cassidy's buddy but something to do in the SUN ! (Like a Moondance but warmer ...RATS , Now , I have Van Morrison stuck in my head..)
Anyway, I know about Redwoods but never heard of the Redwood Curtain. It sounds more mysterious that way. Do you have any pictures you can post ? We love pics.
And if you know any cool places there for vandwellers to hang out maybe you could share some with us..

Latest posts