another newbie needs i t help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keysbottles

Reaction score
Hey all,  I'm trying to get my rig set up to hit the road and am suffering form the old dog/new trick syndrome.  My lap top went south recently and I need to replace it.  I'm not up on the new (to me) electronics, tablets, hot spots etc. that I will need to access the internet on the road.  For example, do tablets use wifi of cell service?  Can you suggest what I will need in that regard.  I plan to travel west of the Mississippi, hoping to make it to RTR next year.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the reply.  What model do you have.  I'm not familiar with tablets, will they serve the same functions as a lap top?  Do you stream youtube etc.?

The question needs to be asked.  What is your intended use of said electronic device?  Hard to give recommendations or information how to without knowing the end game. Are you going to be staying in cities or out west in the boondocks?

100% boondocking out west. As for  the use, entertainment, news, email, youtube.  I live within a budget, so cost is also a factor.

First of all there is wireless technology and there is cell technology.  They are not the same thing.  In my opinion, your best position is to be able to take advantage of cellular technology and then use that to communicate with your wireless devices. That way you can not only take advantage of the evolution of the technology, but you can also take advantage of newer and cheaper deals on plans as they come out.  

You can use a cell phone to get internet service.  You can either directly use the phone to view videos, check and send email, etc.  Also you can use most cell phones as what is called a ‘hotspot’.  That means the cell phone receives the cellular signal, converts it into a wireless signal and broadcasts that wireless signal to other wireless devices nearby.  You can then get online on your iPad or laptop just as if you were in a McDonalds.  This will require that you have a cell plan which allows you to use your cell phone as a hotspot which is generally just a bit more expensive than a cell plan which provides only phone service. 

You can alternatively purchase a hotspot device such as a jet pack.  These are similar to a cell phone but you can not directly talk on the hotspot.  The data plans for hotspot devices are generally a bit less expensive than those in which a cell phone is used as a hotspot.  Some people will use both a hotspot device with one company such as Verizon and also a cell phone as a hotspot with another company such as AT&T.  While this is more expensive, it allows the user to have wider coverage.  

I have a tMobile cell phone which can be used as a hotspot and also a jetPack with Verizon.  Verizon tends to have better coverage, but it can also be a bit congested because it also tends to be more popularly used.  For instance at the RTR Verizon cell service was very poor because so many people was using it, but tMobile was just fine.  I also have switched my use to my iPad because it is less power hungry than my laptop and can be easily charged with a USB 12-volt system. Also my iPad takes a lot less space than my laptop.  Those are concerns when spending time in a 20 by 6 foot rig. I did splurge and got a keyboard which I use with my iPad.  There are other pads that you can get besides a brand new Apple iPad.  

You can get iPads which work directly off of cell signals, but I wouldn’t do that. If you do that then you are locked into a single cell system and it will be hard to take advantage of cheaper deals as they come out.

I have an IPad Mini 4, which I like because of its size and portability, and it’s all I carry on extended travel except for my IPhone.

You’re getting some good technical advice here, but I would suggest going into a Best Buy or Verizon retail store and talking with one of their people about what you need to be able to do.

With a Verizon contract, there is usually a substantial discount on the cost of an iPad.

I think that AT&T dropped the original Mobley plan and recently came out with a new one.  I understand that the new plan can detect if the device is not in the auto plug and also is not able to disable the auto turnoff.  So while it is still a good solution, it isn't quite as user friendly as the original plan/devices.

The original Mobley is still for sale. They do have a newer version that is vehicle specific too. The original Mobley is not. Read the linked post.

If you have a Verizon store near you just go there and talk to a sales person. They will show you what is available and tell you what price the plans are.

Because I need a secure connection for things such as banking and my online store on Etsy I did go with a tablet that connects via cellular service however it also works on wifi which will be the case for all of the Verizon tablets. I have a Verizon account and I did opt for their lowest priced tablet which is an Andriod OS. It works just fine, I had it for enough years that I was eligible for a free new tablet so I did that a few months ago.

I still have the old tablet from Verizon, it works on wifi only now since the new tablet is the one that is now using the cellular connection. Nice to have it for a backup and if I know I am going to be going into coffee shops with wifi and just want to do some browsing or watching some youtube in such places that is the one I take in with me.I don't keep anything stored on it that would create a privacy issue. I also use it for reading E-books I download from the library or free e-books from google play store. There are a lot of other places to get free e-books. I can use either of the tablets to make phone calls by going through Google+ talk when on wifi or on Verizon. It is good to have that as a backup in case my cell phone is out of commission.

You can go to a lot of stores and the clerks will show you the tablets and how they work. Office supply stores will do that, so will stores such as Target, Walmart, that have an electronics section. So just go get in a little hands on time but look around and don't feel pressured to buy right away.

Hi,
I live on a low budget. I am disabled. I use my SafeLink Lifeline phone service on a TracFone smartphone that includes a hotspot. I am given 1000 talk minutes, unlimited texting and 1 gig of data. This service is a member of the TracFone/Straight Talk family and uses Verizon cell towers.

2 RTRs ago Matt suggested for me to invest in a Samsung tablet with great video and graphics for other uses like typing my blog and watching movies. I wanted to keep all my electronics USB chargeable. That helps keep my power needs manageable for my budget.
I added a Bluetooth keyboard and some Jump drives to my collection.

I just ordered the PCsforPeople midi internet. You have to qualify for it bases on your income. It's very reasonable cost.

I hope this helps someone.
Keep it simple!

I only skimmed the replies, but did not see one of the obvious choices mentioned. Don't count out the Kindle Fire.
Under $100 and it will do what you want.
Connects with wifi just like the others.
Mrs G and I use them daily. Small, light, bright and clear enough to surpass what my eyes can appreciate.
Me, for audio books and remote access to business stuff.
Her, for everything on the net, from the comfort of her stuffed chair...and a ton of skype with the grand-babies.

In a van, they work awesome for Netflix/Amazon Prime/Audible...etc. (You may want to get the bigger one if this is your aim.)
Not great for taking pictures...(but that's what a Nikon is for.)
Whatever you decide to get, make sure to get a magnetic charger/USB cable for it and a carry case.
The number one reason most devices die is damage to that charging port.
The link I gave you on the magnetic units work for data transfer on the Fire, as well as charging...not all of them do.
Some have to be oriented with the little green light up...some down...and some of them will not work on data at all.
I sent you the one, after trying three different types, that worked best for us.

If you read around, you will see people saying the Fire is slower than a tablet that costs four to five times more.
They are right. It is. Compared to the iPad I recently cleared for a friend, my little $60 Fire took nearly half a second longer to open my emails or my browser. Pictures load up slower too. High definition pics take a full 1/3 of a second longer to load up.
The Internet browser...a full 1/2 a second. Netflix plays flawlessly. Hulu, the same. Prime/Amazon is built right into it, so that all works like a charm.
If you are editing movies on a tablet, the Fire is not your man though. This is where you would see slow speeds that actually matter. Otherwise, its one of the best, if not THE best, bargains out there.
(It is also nothing but a big smartphone without the phone. Droid/Linux is a good thing.)

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire...3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550672308&sr=8-3&keywords=fire

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719KZW4...b876-51cf6fb8823e&ie=UTF8&qid=1550672351&sr=2

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cool-C...0672400&sr=1-3&keywords=magnetic+charge+cable

PS When we looked into it and updated our RV Internet, it was cheaper for us to get a jetpack to feed our devices than to buy a tablet from Verizon.
A cell-fed tablet has you painted in the corner.
The Internet plans suggested with a device that provides wifi in your RV are the most versatile (using your smartphone for this function works for many also) but having all of it in one tablet??? Ehhh, that makes your online world tied to a very overpriced, proprietary unit. IMO, a bad idea.
Jetpack style devices are tiny and use very little power. If you damage your tablet, you can run to wally world and buy a netbook, be online again in ten minutes.
Best of luck to you!

bought a Chrome book at Walley World and Jet Pack from Verizon.  That will get me started.

Chrome book and a Jet pack is the way I was going to go too. I build computers for myself, to cumbersome for an RV, I juice up my laptops too. I like Mac books most, but cost to much. 

I'll be watching this thread, maybe I will learn some things I didn't know.

This thread is helping me. I'm faced with the same learning curve. I recently got a good cellphone and unlimited Verizon. I haven't tried using the hotspot that my tech-savvy daughter assures me is built into the phone. I plan to create YouTube videos and I want to have a setup that will allow that. I'll have my laptop for video editing.

You already have what you need short of a camera.  You need to practice turning on the hotspot feature and get your laptop connected to it.

I have used a chromebook for about 3 years & as signing up for Visable(owned by Verizon) now. Unlimited & can be used as a hot spot for $40 including taxes & charges, Total $40 per month. Buying thrir $100 phone also. I have 14,000+ minutes on PureTalkUSA built up I'll use as a 2nd phone when needed until I use them up . I get 160 minutes a month for $10 & nothing ever expires.