Another car heat question...I have an idea, is this viable/safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildHorse

Reaction score
Greetings all, new here but nice to know this is here :)

Going to leave my job to hopefully be a student nurse in Scotland (im on reserve list) so Im gunna be skint) So basically going to live in my car. I also want to check out the scottish rugged beauty while im up there and to have my car to camp in is going to make it one hell of a spiritual journey.  To be honest, I want to live in my car regardless, I guess its a way I can live off grid and have less expenditure and some freedom. 

I have an estate car and have been testing it out, getting 50-60 miles to gallon, it drives beautifully even with roof box. I chose car for this reason, driving a big van isnt for me. It is also very stealth...black with dark limo tinted rear windows, just looks like a nice respectable family car but nothing flash or remarkable about it. Perfect. I have slept in there no problem, even on a cold stormy rainy night on top of moors, I was warm, no draughts. And people have been right outside when Ive been inside and not known Im in there :) 

Ive gone really minimalist, and i love the layout ...bed one side, unit on other, roof box for clothes storage, some bags organised for easy 'take out' for gym/shower, a bag for study gear and a basket for teabags/coffee with jars for supplements, which can be covered with a big blanket. This is also where I put things in for drive mode. There will be a Colemans coolbox in one rear footwell with a small gas bottle in the other providing easy access from inside and outside the car. I have wind deflectors so I will always have the windows in front and rear jacked open for ventilation and help with condensation. Front driving area is totally clear. 

On the unit, is a small double gas stove, which at mo is there to just store it, but it also makes car look kinda cosy :) My get up looks sooo homely and its a really nice space. I have had a lovely time in it these last few days <3

However, it would be really good to use stove to boil up a brew inside the car, doing this with a heatproof shield behind the stove to protect the side of the car. The mini camper kettle would prevent the heat from scorching the roof...or at least I hope. But for a heating idea, I wondered if placing a large flat stone (which I have) on one of the rings and heating this up gently would be safe and viable? Again the stone would block the heat from reaching the roof, but the stone would still emit some heat long term. Having an open fire I know the fire heats the brick surround and they give off a low heat but a safe low heat. This is where the idea came from but I would rather be safe than have my lil dream turn into a blazing nightmare. 

I think using a keosene lamp would create too much heat near the roof and wouldnt be safe as much as I would like to use one.

This is the only "fear" I have about car living...heating car and it not being safe. I dont want my "divine inspiration" being the thing that takes me to the divine sooner....plus imagine the bad press ;)

So genius idea or just a hair brained one? :D

Worst comes to worst...I force myself to get out of my cosy sleeping bag and wool blankets and run the engine to warm up to get going with the day. 

Thank you in advance

Open flames are always a risk. Well stabilized bottom and good ventilation, plus a fire extinguisher.

Enjoy Scotland, beautiful country!

WildHorse said:
However, it would be really good to use stove to boil up a brew inside the car, doing this with a heatproof shield behind the stove to protect the side of the car. The mini camper kettle would prevent the heat from scorching the roof...or at least I hope. But for a heating idea, I wondered if placing a large flat stone (which I have) on one of the rings and heating this up gently would be safe and viable? Again the stone would block the heat from reaching the roof, but the stone would still emit some heat long term. Having an open fire I know the fire heats the brick surround and they give off a low heat but a safe low heat. This is where the idea came from but I would rather be safe than have my lil dream turn into a blazing nightmare. 

I think using a keosene lamp would create too much heat near the roof and wouldnt be safe as much as I would like to use one.

Second one first: Dont use a kerosene lamp in an small enclosed space for heat, light or anything else. If you want occasional warm cozy flame type lighting, get a UCO 3 candle lantern.

Fumes from kerosene lanterns (burning kerosene) are nasty, and in small space it will be too much of a hazard...please dont do this. Open spaces are fine, I burn them at my campsite often.

As far as the heating idea, you run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Not to mention a fire. There are much safer ways to heat a small space, or go the route of only heating before bedtime, then shut off the heater, then you can start it up in the morning. You will of course need a sleeping bag or blankets that will keep you warm even when its very cold outside.

One other option easily available in Europe are parking heaters. They get quite expensive but they work. If you have the money to spend, and you will have that car for awhile, think about a Webasto parking heater.

Good luck on your adventure!

Yeah I read about keosene lamps on another car thread but didnt feel right in my smaller space, but will look into the parking heater (never heard of them) and the UCO 3 candle lantern. 

Ive got a good four season sleeping bag and lots of blankets and layers! And a diesel engine ;)

Here is the basic idea of a parking heater, and there are variations on the theme:

[video=youtube]

The heat exchanger arrangement can be the car's own heater, or you can have a separate heater core installed if you have room.

The advantage is they are automated and SAFE.

Disadvantage: they are NOT cheap.

Diesel fuel heaters are very efficient, it might use a couple pints of fuel overnight...you will not even miss it.

Aye a good idea, but I just cant meet that price. 

There are small butane swivel head heaters which only need to be on for a few minutes, much smaller than a mr buddy. I have a flat sturdy base in car for it to be stood on a heatproof pad, and four windows cracked down an inch each, so it should be ventilated enough to use one. A lady in one of Bobs car interviews (amazing lady) she had a full on buddy heater in her car, and a smaller vent than what I have and she had that on for five minutes and car was very warm. I am just researching this but will of course go with the safest option, but read a few people using these as I would. I would insulate the cans when in storage so they dont get too cold and inefficient...I am sure the right solution will present itself. Every other "problem" has a solution on this journey...its what make it empowering. 

:)

UCO triple candle, use beeswax candles as regular candles are awful in a small space. Cheap candles will actually use a lead wick. The UCO triple candle has about 560 btu/hr., about 1/2 of a lantern and much safer.

Sterno gel is safer as ou don't have spill risk. Sterno with Power Pad {wide wick} is also safer. It is what the use to heat chaffing dishes.

Still it is a open flame.

Welcome to the CRVL forums WildHorse!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

pearll said:
UCO triple candle, use beeswax candles as regular candles are awful in a small space.

Thanks, I should have added that bit of info.

I use the parafin and citronella candles mainly for light on the outdoor table and bug control...yes, the beeswax candles are supposed to be better indoors, but at twice the price of paraffin you have to be a dedicated 'candle person'!

Even the light paraffin wax fumes would be way better than breathing the dense kerosene fumes...

Thanks!