And so it begins.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do see a book in your future. Just think! All these (mis) adventures are going to make you a best selling author! I see a movie deal, too!

As long as you learn from your mistakes and try to avoid repeating them, I think you'll do fine. When I was out on my trial run trip, testing out my hatchback setup, I left a towel out to dry on a line while I went for a hike. When I got back and checked to see how dry the thing was, I found that a squirrel had shredded a good portion of my brand new, really soft and absorbent towel. It never even occurred to me that my towel might be endangered by the local wildlife. I'll remember next time though.

I'm sure you'll learn from your experience with the pee container and either remember it next time or find a way to secure it, and then apply the lesson to other areas.

sephson said:
I'm sure you'll learn from your experience with the pee container and either remember it next time or find a way to secure it, and then apply the lesson to other areas.

I wish. This is where I'm totally envious of people who have their entire brains and memories at their disposal to utilize as they like. Me, I'll find bits of it here and there that may or may not be retrievable again in 5 minutes' time and it's always interesting to see what I can manage to stitch together from that. I'm neurologically disabled to the point where I cannot live well even in a house without a caregiver assisting me. Yet I'm attempting it out of a car because I've got no other choice.

Unfortunately, it's entirely possible I might forget the pee container another dozen times in a row. Then remember once, and forget another dozen. I'll apply a ridiculous number of strategies to remembering it, of course. Reiterating the story in a humorous fashion helps bookmark it in my mind, for example. ;) But the "lessons learned" capacity you all take for granted is for me a hard scramble that involves a stupid number of falls. I naturally slave away at it to the very best of my tippy top ability but you gotta understand that's going to look like and inchworm's crawl compared to the progress of someone with a functioning brain.

What can I say, life ain't fair. I still get to live it, though! Mwahahahaha.

Okay, now I really am going nutters. Bitty is now reaching for her emergency stash of chocolate. :rolleyes:

Here's a thought then. Get yourself a permanent marker and write in big letters on the side of the container, "Tie this sucker down when drying.". Rather than trying to remember, give yourself written cues and instructions. I don't know whether or not this will help you or if it's one of the strategies you've already tried, but it may well be worth a shot.

You're right. Life isn't fair. You seem to be finding ways to adapt to the issues life throws your way though. That is something you can be proud of!

Bitty,

Your writing seem to be from learning, and not lack of ability. Your prose is one of someone with formal or well self taught education. This ability/skill most likely came from hard work either way on your part, and is a positive sign to your ability to work to overcome what faces you in the future. I appreciate the positive prospective you share considering the adversity in each of your writings. Looking forward to more posts.

Brent

Oberneldon said:
Bitty,

Your writing seem to be from learning, and not lack of ability. Your prose is one of someone with formal or well self taught education. This ability/skill most likely came from hard work either way on your part, and is a positive sign to your ability to work to overcome what faces you in the future. I appreciate the positive prospective you share considering the adversity in each of your writings. Looking forward to more posts.

Brent

+100

Bitty, your writing style makes me certain that you CAN make it!

BTW, when you're ready for baselayers, check out the microfleece thermals from T-Maxx. I slept outdoors with a set of them and a microfleece hoodie, a pair of T-Maxx 'Heat' socks (they actually have a heat rating!!) and covers that were only rated to 50F in 28F weather. I wouldn't choose to do it again trust me, but I survived the night and actually slept. I can't recommend them enough - I got mine at Mark's Work Warehouse.

Well that was interesting.

Here's to my first night stealth camping. Sorta. I think.

It wasn't exactly planned, but not entirely unplanned either. Circumstances brought push to shove and midnight found me cruising down the highway enjoying the sight of more deer than cars, plus a particularly majestic coyote who paused to steal my breath as I passed by.

Missed the last ferry of the night by like 30 seconds. Really.

The booth teller noted my predicament and said it was probably safer to park on the ferrydock than elsewhere, even though usually wasn't permitted. I had a 4 hour wait ahead of me through the dead of night and hadn't yet had any sleep.

Only just after the initial shock had worn off, I dared to climb out of my driver's seat when a car pulled up beside me. "What are you doing?" Apparently he didn't get the memo. I explained.

"Well yeah but you can't park here."
"The other guy said I could."

He went off to consult, then both cars drove away...the second bloke in a flurry of spinning tires with obvious attitude. So I had won my spot for the next few hours, unwelcome though I may be.

Car fully exposed, I knew attempting window privacy would only attract more attention. I was rattled, every sense on high alert at the unfamiliar sound sand sights. What's that car driving up begin me and just sitting there, engine idling? Oh no, they're getting out... snap out of it, dummy, it's just the janitor collecting trash. The huge scary dude who stomped right by my car to hit the vending machines and trudged back, aggression oozing from some unknown source within.

I clenched my stun gun and nervously cracked jokes with my friend over the phone as his eyes met mine for a moment in passing.

It wasn't until an hour before showtime before my body's need to rest began to overcome my over-agitated nerves, and I dared to climb out of the driver's seat once more and lay down. Sleep was out of the question, but a state of rest washed over me with such welcome relief I didn't care.

The traffic rushing past me alerted me before the alarm I'd set, and I scrambled to pull myself to the back of the line in time to make the first ferry out. Success! Short-lived, though. I was falling asleep and the shop I had to hit wouldn't open for a few hours yet.

There wasn't really time to think. I pulled into a grocery store parking lot, and suddenly I saw it - a safe place to park. Never been there before. Never done this before. But I knew it. I couldn't get there fast enough.

My stealth setup is woefully obvious from certain angles, but less so from others. I used this to my advantage. I set up quickly, knowing this was the only time I'm actually noticeable. I left Reflectix off all the windows I could just do the 5% on, as it'd be light soon and this way I could be more aware of my surroundings.

I'd always imagined I'd be too afraid to sleep. Instead, the sound of semis unloading their backsides while inching up to my face resulted in ridiculously weird dreams of collisions and trash compactors. While frequently startled, my system simply could not and would not remain alert the moment it realized that I was fundamentally okay for the moment.

Waking up to an impressive stack of empty wooden pallets dumped directly next to my car was slightly disturbing. I also found it hilarious. Like Oooh. I'm so hardcore.

No one bothered me. No one even noticed me. I took my time getting ready to face the world again, and when all clean and organized I pulled down my tinting and Reflectix and brought the car around to patronize the store.

I kept expecting someone to recognize me as the person who had just slept behind the store, and kept telling myself that was silly. I shopped as normal. I paid as normal. Everything was normal. Hey, I spent the night stealthing out of my car and whadayaknow I'm just a normal person and life works. Cool.

I don't know how to write about the water spill on my laptop, which is why I'm typing this from a library computer, the medical crisis that had me running to a treed park to grab some privacy, or the car's oil running critically low, apparently from a new leak. Today has all been a blur of handling each thing as it comes, one after the other.

It's dark out now, the library is closing soon and it's time for me to go find out what the evening holds in store for me. What a strange life this is.

I love your writing style. Nice rhythm, varied sentence structure, and it portrays the adventure you live.

Me, I'm a retired lawyer, so I tend to make long run-on sentences, lacking in figures of speech.

Keep posting, I love it.

I'm stuck. Car quit on me again.

Here I was patting myself on the back for knowing how to check the oil, having oil on hand when needed and asking around to ensure I had the problem all taken care of. I added what oil I had and pulled into a gas/repair station to grab some more, graciously turning down the mechanic's offer to "help me put it in". "Oh, no thanks, I've got it." Yeah, a petite little woman who knows a thing or two about cars. Go me!

Then I left the oil cap off. Twice.

I tell ya, some days it doesn't matter what I know or how hard I try, the devil's in the details and thus my inevitable downfall.

Later that night the car lights grew dimmer and dimmer while driving until, upon reaching safety, it died completely and refused to start. Again.

So, I'm now parked at a relative's house and privileged to repeated putdowns on my idiocy, car hooked up on trickle charge but I'm warned against taking it anywhere. My laptop is still too temperamental from the water damage to type on, my phone's shattered screen is holding on by a thread, and as for my little home nearly a week of non-stop moisture with no chance to dry out has created a fantastical odor that would make great pranks on people you don't like.

My survival instinct is grateful I'm living inside a garage with access to electricity and bathrooms and internet instead of on the streets. My will to live, on the other hand, swears up and down I'm getting out of here again if it's the last thing I do. For now I keep the peace between the two by focusing on the tasks at hand to improve my setup, plotting escape possibilities and finding happiness wherever it's hiding.

Sometimes the accomplishment is simply falling asleep at the end of the day knowing you've done your best.

So sorry you are experiencing so much adversity all at once but I'm glad you are under cover and have some amenities. Wish I could give you solutions but I can only hope that they will come your way very soon.

Thank you for reminding me to find happiness wherever it's hiding. What a great phrase -- now I'm looking all over and I see it in all kind of little places and people and things.

Bitty,

As we all know, what can go wrong will. We all have our problems, but I believe it is all related to probability. I have left the oil cap off when changing my oil, only to loose it driving down the road and having to buy one. I change the oil on two vehicles all the time, for so many years, but forgot it that time. I have forgotten to put the drain plug in during an oil change to only have the new oil running on out the plug. It's called life and we all doing the best we can. It makes us human and if we never tried where would we be. If we were perfect, I guess life wouldn't be as exciting/interesting.

Back to probability. It should all equal out in the end, so learn from what happens that we are not happy with and embrace what goes right.

I take it you didn't get the alternator checked. Sounds like your alternator has failed.

Or the other theory I've heard is it's slipping due to all the oil spillage from driving around with the oil cap off.

And no, I didn't have it checked. Had it been anywhere within the realms of being an option, I would have.

Someone told me the battery was good to go again for short distances, so I took the car out for a 20 minute drive. Hit the freeway and got a seriously rough ride happening, my arms were going numb. No idea what's wrong but felt like the whole thing was coming to pieces. I'm now more or less resigned to this car not working out. Still living out of it parked in a garage until another solution is found.

Loan for a van came through today. Time to do some shopping. :D

Oberneldon said:
Bitty,

As we all know, what can go wrong will. We all have our problems, but I believe it is all related to probability. I have left the oil cap off when changing my oil, only to loose it driving down the road and having to buy one. ... It's called life and we all doing the best we can. It makes us human and if we never tried where would we be. If we were perfect, I guess life wouldn't be as exciting/interesting.

Back to probability. It should all equal out in the end, so learn from what happens that we are not happy with and embrace what goes right.

I'm glad your life works out that way. Mine doesn't. With neurological conditions the odds are unusually heavy towards the "going wrong" side and never equal out in the end. Twice that day I forgot the oil cap and was driving around without it. The first time I checked it and noticed I was like "Phew, so glad the cap is still around, I can't believe I did that!" ...and then I did it again before closing the hood. And drove off.

Everyone occasionally experiences these things. I personally am disabled by them, which means it happens to such an extreme level that it significantly interferes with major life activities on a regular basis.

The good news is I just figured out why I've been getting ill lately with what I thought was food poisoning. Turns out what was in my saltshaker wasn't salt - I'd accidentally refilled it with Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and have been unwittingly giving myself magnesium overdose.

I'm hosting an internal debate on whether this tops slamming the car door on my own arm several weeks ago, which wasn't even attempting an escape at the time, poor thing. It's mostly healed now. Here's to resilience!

Girl, I bet no one stands near you in a thunderstorm! :D

I'm so happy for you that you will be getting your own vehicle soon! While finding a good one can be a bit stressful, it can also be very enjoyable knowing that it will be yours to fix-up how you want!

Happy hunting! Keep us posted!

Hi Bitty, I want to wish you good luck with your van hunt!

You know there is a truck load of experience here to help you! ...Not from me, I'm a newbie, too, but from what I've learned, focus on mechanical and structural health and availability of parts -- and don't worry about the interior at this point or even about gas mileage if you're not planning to drive a zillion miles. You may have additional criteria - for me it was to be able to stand up straight.

Provide for your basic needs, but absolutely start a vehicle maintenance fund and keep it going so you can keep going.

Latest posts