An introduction and a cry for help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingJon

Reaction score
Greetings

My name is Jon and I'm a biker/travel enthusiast who is looking to give the mundane life of a 9/5 job and go on a permanent adventure. Having travelled around much of Europe on my motorbike (recently got back from touring around Germany and Austria) I've finally decided decided that I don't want such adventures to end. The van life has appealed to me for a while and now seems as good a time as any to go for it.

As the title reads this is very much a cry for help and advice as I have no idea where to start.....other than buying a van.

So that would be my first question. What would people recommend? My only stipulation is that it be a long wheel base van. Perhaps a Ford Transit, Iveco or Mercedes Sprinter? Hoping someone on here has experience with any of the above and can share some knowledge on reliability and what they are like fit out and live in.

Look forward to getting more involved on here and talking to you like minded folks.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:
Welcome! You know better than anyone what you need, so make a list what you want and where you want to go. Were you able to have everything you need while traveling on the bike? How long were you gone for? Will a bike be part of the future package? Will you be working while on the road? Will you be trying to live out of the van long term? Do you need to be able to stand inside the van? How much do you plan to spend? The more we know about you and your needs the better our given advise will be!

Cheers Bullfrog.
Whilst travelling on the bike I had everything I needed for a month (which is average time away for my bike tours). But considering I was staying in hotels along the way there was much not I needed other than clothes, toiletries, my kindle and maps. From my picture you can see roughly how much luggage I take. Sadly the bike will have to remain in the UK and I'll have to come 'home' when I want to do a bike tour.
My current situation is I work full time, live in a rented cottage alone and other than general bills/life/work I have no commitments and I'm free to do as I please.
The plan is live full time in the van and travel as much as possible around Europe (taking into account the restrictions that are now in force due to Brexit). I intend to quit my current job to travel but ultimately I will have to find casual/seasonal work along the way. Whilst its just a way to boost the funds I would, for example, work in bars or ski resorts or even do a bit of busking. My French is adequate and my German and Italian are soon to match which can only go in my favour.
I have a budget of between £3/4k for buying a van and intend to do as much of the fit out myself. The fit out costs as much as it costs and whilst funds aren't unlimited I am prepared to spend what it takes to get it right. From what I've read online and seen on YouTube, I believe I can achieve what I want for around £2.5/3k.
As far as the fit out goes I would like to have a toilet (cassette or composter) and a shower perhaps in the form a small wet room. A fridge, small oven and 2 hob burner would also be favourable. The sleeping arrangements are somewhat of a debate in my mind. I've seen the majority of vans with a bed going across the width of the van however in the quest for more space during daily time in the van I wonder if something similar to a dinette on narrow boats would be better? Of course this means building and dismantling it every day.
Yes I would need to be able to stand in the van. At 6'1 the headroom would be beneficial.
A small diesel heater and propane for cooking/hot water some to be standard. Are solar panels worth the cost?

Solar panels are very much worth the cost for me. I do not need them for kitchen appliances other than running a small 12v 17 liter Engel fridge. But I do work as I travel so use the power for communications, a vinyl cutter, inkjet printer, recharging some USB lights etc. Also on occasion a diesel heater. I get by with a 150 watt panel and 160watt AGM battery.

However you are talking about working at a ski resort. That is going to increase your electrical useage as diesel heaters have glow plugs that draw electricity as well as a fan to distribute heat. You will be needing to keep your van above freezing temperatures inside if you want to have a working shower, toilet and such in it. Also unless you decide to store your fresh foods outside you will need electric for your fridge. Plus of course charging devices, lighting.

You will have wet, snowy clothing and gear as well as things such as wet towels so for snow country where you can’t hang things outside to dry likely you should have some type of heated and ventilated to the outside drying locker to keep the humidity under control in your living space. Which means more need for heat and fans. The question is how will you supply that heat? Tiny wood stoves are around but require constant tending and a renewable wood supply. Solar works, if not covered in snow, but wintertime solar hours are limited. Diesel fuel in Europe is not inexpensive which means your budget is going to be impacted providing heat with a diesel heater. But you have to work so you need something that runs safely and reliably while you are out working. Food cost more in mountain resort regions as does fuel.

Spending winters working at warm sunny resorts in Spain or other Mediterranean areas will make Van living a whole lot easier. Plus winter is the busy season for those resorts which means lots of temporary seasonal work. More solar input and less need for heat. Food cost less in areas where there are year around growing seasons. Your living cost will be lower with cheaper food and not much need for heat. Plenty of electrical power from solar and the bonus of fewer solar panels required.

All of that is why heading south in winter is what most van dwellers do except for the dedicated snow skiers who would never want to miss a full winter ski season despite inconveniences and extra expenses.

Last edited:
If you require standing room I imagine a height top van will be much more expensive, at least they are in the USA. Solar for me didn’t really become necessary until I considered adding a 12 volt compressor refrigerator. If you work around bars and restaurants then you usually have access to free ice and at least one good meal a day so cold food storage really isn’t a problem more of a convince. A house battery with a DC to DC charger or isolation relay will stayed charged with a few hours driving each day and power lights and fans. I just used Ryobi 18 volt batteries with a vehicle charger as well as a grid charger when I had access to a plug in. Bob Wells did a video on the Ryobi power station that uses those batteries you might watch if your power needs are small. A lot of the cost is the batteries which I already had as I use the lights, fans and tools as well. With the larger improved expensive power stations you may be able to plug in while at work and meet all your needs. There are lots of videos from the United Kingdom van camping groups that do seminars you might check out as well.

Solar panels are very much worth the cost for me. I do not need them for kitchen appliances other than running a small 12v 17 liter Engel fridge. But I do work as I travel so use the power for communications, a vinyl cutter, inkjet printer, recharging some USB lights etc. Also on occasion a diesel heater. I get by with a 150 watt panel and 160watt AGM battery.

However you are talking about working at a ski resort. That is going to increase your electrical useage as diesel heaters have glow plugs that draw electricity as well as a fan to distribute heat. You will be needing to keep your van above freezing temperatures inside if you want to have a working shower, toilet and such in it. Also unless you decide to store your fresh foods outside you will need electric for your fridge. Plus of course charging devices, lighting.

You will have wet, snowy clothing and gear as well as things such as wet towels so for snow country where you can’t hang things outside to dry likely you should have some type of heated and ventilated to the outside drying locker to keep the humidity under control in your living space. Which means more need for heat and fans. The question is how will you supply that heat? Tiny wood stoves are around but require constant tending and a renewable wood supply. Solar works, if not covered in snow, but wintertime solar hours are limited. Diesel fuel in Europe is not inexpensive which means your budget is going to be impacted providing heat with a diesel heater. But you have to work so you need something that runs safely and reliably while you are out working. Food cost more in mountain resort regions as does fuel.

Spending winters working at warm sunny resorts in Spain or other Mediterranean areas will make Van living a whole lot easier. Plus winter is the busy season for those resorts which means lots of temporary seasonal work. More solar input and less need for heat. Food cost less in areas where there are year around growing seasons. Your living cost will be lower with cheaper food and not much need for heat. Plenty of electrical power from solar and the bonus of fewer solar panels required.

All of that is why heading south in winter is what most van dwellers do except for the dedicated snow skiers who would never want to miss a full winter ski season despite inconveniences and extra expensive.
Thank you, that's really helpful information. I would say the solar panels are a given then, especially since Id like to spend a lot of time around the South of France. I think the biggest drain on my electricity would be a fridge. Other than charging my kindle, phone and ipod I wouldn't have any other devices

Very good points about the weather at the ski resorts. I would like to think if I did work at the resorts then I could make use of a few of the facilities on site which would ease the difficulties of van life during winter. A lot of the resorts also cater for camper van/mobile homes so I could use an external power points for the leisure batteries. My parents have a narrow boat and when they aren't cruising they do the same when moored in a marina. However they do have the benefit of a solid fuel stove and bigger diesel tank. I have no idea why the idea working in the South during the winter didn't occur to me. My immediate thought was the busy ski season during winter in, for example, Austria and the opportunity for work.

If you require standing room I imagine a height top van will be much more expensive, at least they are in the USA. Solar for me didn’t really become necessary until I considered adding a 12 volt compressor refrigerator. If you work around bars and restaurants then you usually have access to free ice and at least one good meal a day so cold food storage really isn’t a problem more of a convince. A house battery with a DC to DC charger or isolation relay will stayed charged with a few hours driving each day and power lights and fans. I just used Ryobi 18 volt batteries with a vehicle charger as well as a grid charger when I had access to a plug in. Bob Wells did a video on the Ryobi power station that uses those batteries you might watch if your power needs are small. A lot of the cost is the batteries which I already had as I use the lights, fans and tools as well. With the larger improved expensive power stations you may be able to plug in while at work and meet all your needs. There are lots of videos from the United Kingdom van camping groups that do seminars you might check out as well.
I would say the additional cost for a high top pays for itself with ease comfort when actually living in the van. Would I be right in thinking a 24v fridge is only necessary if its a fridge/freezer combo?

I've heard a bit about the Ryobi gear. My power needs would definitely be minimal. I have no real need for a computer but a laptop may be useful on odd occasions for watching films.

Most high quality units are adjustable and can be used as either or have a divider so you can sort of do both. Most just buy 2 units and use one as a freezer and the other as a refrigerator.

Hello Jon, and welcome to the Van Living Forum

Let me invite you to look thru the two websites below in my signature lines. A simple build Van would take care of you a few months from now when the spring/summer arrives there in the UK. This would give you time to locate and acquire a Van and do a simple build to be ready for touring by spring.

Let me invite you to look thru the two websites below in my signature lines. A simple build Van would take care of you a few months from now when the spring/summer arrives there in the UK. This would give you time to locate and acquire a Van and do a simple build to be ready for touring by spring.
eDJ… It would help to see those links if you opened the settings and activated the option of showing your signature line. As of right now it is not visible

I've heard a bit about the Ryobi gear. My power needs would definitely be minimal. I have no real need for a computer but a laptop may be useful on odd occasions for watching films.
I'm a little fuzzy on whether you plan to travel in your van in Europe or the US. But if you want to watch movies, make sure that whatever service you use will download movies for watching later. For instance, I can download a Netlfix movie to my iphone but not to my macbook air. When I asked Netflix why, the answer made no sense to me, but there it is!

I agree that you only really NEED solar if you have a refrigerator or plan on running power tools or kitchen appliances such as a microwave. Plenty of ways to keep your electronic servants charged up short of solar.

IME, you will wind up watching more movies than you do now.

Maki make sure your settings page allows signatures.

Preferences, Content, Show Signatures:

content-s.JPG

And also edJ you might wish to provide the links you are referring to in the body of a message, since some users, and especially tablet and phone users, might not even see our signature lines.

Last edited:
Good thought that one, tx2sturgis. I'm usually on a computer at home or a laptop when out in the field. I haven't come to rely on my Cell (a G4 LTE) or tablet for everything yet.
I've noticed in settings here there's a box to check for "Show sidebar for mobile" in Preferences.

Those two sites are older and the newer host I'm using are set to be fluid so they will conform to the viewing platforms anyone is using.

Show sidebar on mobile

Last edited:
...What would people recommend?...

..talking to you like minded folks.
My recommendation:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110.
This or something similar furnishes:
* your standing head-room
* your reliability
* your length.
And a square box is easier to 'fit out' than the multiple compound curves of a Sprinter-type van.
As usual, we suggest our Magnificent!System!®:
* get a beater,
* toss in some car-camping gear,
* go have fun
* allow the conversion to evolve organically.
Compare this Magnificent!System!© to investing months/years and thousands of (local fiat currency) in an untested concept... and risking forcing the adventure to fit the rig.
re -- 'like-minded'
I think the best people will blast holes in my plans, pointing to the flaws, and challenging me to examine my motivation and my theory.
Occasionally, those folk may be 'like-minded'.
Occasionally, those folk are my opposite-minded.

Last edited:
I think you're overcomplicating the build. Everything you needed to travel for a month fit in a pair of panniers and a tank bag! Take the same approach with you van. Just add the elements your used the hotel for (eg. bed, toilet, power), keep it simple and hit the road. You'll learn what your needs and wants are with experience. Address them as they arise. To do otherwise is just guessing, potentially wasting money and time.

You'll discover what's important to you as you travel. My initial plumbing was very simple. Over time, I grew to dislike washing my hands (or dishes) in ambient temperature water. So I eventually addressed this by installing an instantaneous hot water faucet. Ditto with my desire for an inside shower. Ditto with my diesel heater.

For some folks, solar is essential to their use case, while I think its suboptimal use of valuable roof space, even though I have fairly high power needs. Some folks dedicate a lot of space to cooking inside their rig, while I like sampling the cuisine at local eateries and heating up leftovers in the microwave in my mini kitchenette.

No one (including you) can tell you the best layout or amenities for your build more accurately than 6 months experience on the road will do.

Last edited:

That's fantastic help. Thank you very much! :)

I'm a little fuzzy on whether you plan to travel in your van in Europe or the US. But if you want to watch movies, make sure that whatever service you use will download movies for watching later. For instance, I can download a Netlfix movie to my iphone but not to my macbook air. When I asked Netflix why, the answer made no sense to me, but there it is!

I agree that you only really NEED solar if you have a refrigerator or plan on running power tools or kitchen appliances such as a microwave. Plenty of ways to keep your electronic servants charged up short of solar.

IME, you will wind up watching more movies than you do now.
Id love to travel around the US, especially the deep south because of my musical interests. But for now I'll be around Europe and at some point head up to Scandinavia.

I watch very little in the way of films and tend to read or listen to music but noted that a complete change in lifestyle might mean I watch more films. I have Netflix and Prime but don't use them often. Id buy an external hard drive to keep films on.

I'll definitely have a fridge on board. cant think of any other appliances Id need other than kettle but I will stove top kettle instead. As for any select power tools then rechargeable might be the best option.....but again I'm open to suggestions.

My recommendation:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110.
This or something similar furnishes:
* your standing head-room
* your reliability
* your length.
And a square box is easier to 'fit out' than the multiple compound curves of a Sprinter-type van.
As usual, we suggest our Magnificent!System!®:
* get a beater,
* toss in some car-camping gear,
* go have fun
* allow the conversion to evolve organically.
Compare this Magnificent!System!© to investing months/years and thousands of (local fiat currency) in an untested concept... and risking forcing the adventure to fit the rig.
re -- 'like-minded'
I think the best people will blast holes in my plans, pointing to the flaws, and challenging me to examine my motivation and my theory.
Occasionally, those folk may be 'like-minded'.
Occasionally, those folk are my opposite-minded.
A fair point well made.

Hadn't occurred to me to take that approach. I'm sure its all too easy to get tied up in a build and what you think you 'need' only to end up down down the road a month later and find the set up doesn't work for you.