An interesting bicycle camper rig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyl4rk

Reaction score
Below is a link to a video showing a small camper trailer with solar, pulled by an electric bike.  The camper has a bunk, fridge, cookstove and heater and is large enough to sit in.

I think this would be a good boondocking rig.

Thanks for posting this, he's built a nice, spacious travel cabin for his e-bike adventures.

The Tropicool 12v coolbox he uses takes up little space and works well, and I particularly like his cookstove heat exchanger unit with outside flue piping.

The floor mounted fan is neat too, though I was surprised that he had not insulated the Coroplast walls or ceiling!

Coroplast is easy to seal at the open ends of the tubes to create a dead air space insulation. That is pretty effective although of course not a huge amount of R value given the thickness of the walls.

maki2 said:
Coroplast is easy to seal at the open ends of the tubes to create a dead air space insulation. That is pretty effective although of course not a huge amount of R value given the thickness of the walls.
Whilst this is true, the main benefit of adding insulation inside a Coroplast camper is to combat the major issue of condensation that will form.

Paul Elkins, the originator of the Coroplast Bicycle Camper specifically mentioned his issues with condensation building up inside.

I thought that I’d seen most of the good bike trailer vids on YouTube, but this is great! I really do like his heater, and the fan is important although it takes up valuable floor space. He could instead have put a computer fan in the wall- they only use 1-2 watts of power. Thanks for posting this!  It’s inspiration for whatever bike trailer I come up with, although I think I want a boat camper (yeah, that’ll be heavy, certainly more than coroplast.)

AeroNautiCal said:
... and I particularly like his cookstove heat exchanger unit with outside flue piping.
I think this impressed me the most, too.  It would be good to see a video on how this works and how it doesn’t kill him w/ CO.

Travelmonkey said:
I think this impressed me the most, too.  It would be good to see a video on how this works and how it doesn’t kill him.
How could it kill him? He has a huge fan in the floor and I doubt that coroplast construction is airtight. Bob Wells posted a video about using a burner as heat in a van. I used a burner in a trailer I had, but I almost killed myself because I had taped plastic sheeting over the windows to keep out the dust from bad NV winter winds. I thought that cracking the ceiling vent would be enough ventilation. Nope, but I was lucky I felt so sick that I got out in the open.
Hah, got safely outta rural NV, too. Never want to own property in that state again. I feel more welcome along coastlines.