an easy to use, inexpensive crimping tool

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good manual crimping tool for larger gauge wires, up to 6awg, and I finally found one! I saw it listed on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170579939750 it was cheap and it looked similar to one I had used in the Army, so I decided to take a chance.

I've used it on some 6 gauge battery-to-fuse-block wires, and I was surprised at how little force was needed to set a perfect crimp.

This is the tool:
DSC01993b.jpg

I think the numbers are metric, there's a slightly different set on the obverse, this side is possibly for insulated terminals, the other uninsulated:
DSC01994b.jpg

And this is a crimp, it is both mechanically and electrically sound:
DSC01996b.jpg

This is a ratcheting crimper and once you start a crimp you must complete it, but this is an updated model and has a knob on the side so you can end it early.

I think this tool is intended for uninsulated terminals, though possibly both since that would explain the different set of numbers on the two sides. I was also able to get good crimps using 16awg wire and insulated terminals.

I think it's a real bargain for $22.99 with free shipping.

The question is how often do you need to use specialized tools like this? I would have neither the room nor the money to fill up my toolbox with a large number of specialized tools like this, so would either use a Vice Grips, use a different connector or otherwise improvise...

proper Crimping is much different than crushing a connector with vice grips. Simply crushing a battery terminal with vice grips is a recipe for a fire.

If these were cables passing 100+ alternator/ inverter amps, I would not trust the shown crimp in the photo above either.

Crimping can be taken to ridiculous levels of precision.

We don't really need to meet ABYC standards, but we should not place blind trust in lesser crimps either.

Note in the end of this article, he finds the HF hydraulic crimper to be a joke on most every level too.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

Nice. Thanks for posting. It's hard to find a good crimper for wires that thick.

PastTense said:
The question is how often do you need to use specialized tools like this? I would have neither the room nor the money to fill up my toolbox with a large number of specialized tools like this, so would either use a Vice Grips, use a different connector or otherwise improvise...
Yes but when you need it, you need it, nothing else will do...

PastTense said:
And as SternWake pointed out, using vice grips on a terminal is a recipe for disaster, the connection will be neither mechanically nor electrically sound. 6awg wire is going to be carrying fairly high current, and any crimp that isn't solid is going to be the highest resistance in the circuit, the weak link if you will, all the rest of the circuit, including the load(s) will act as conductors. The weak link will heat up very quickly and get very hot.

That tool is fine for running a new wire, or quick repair, on a circuit that will not carry larger amp loads. That site from Maine Marine is excellent and he does a lot of testing before he posts a instruction.

I should also add that the crimped lugs should be covered with heat shrink tubing to minimize exposed metal. I use 10mm heat shrink from Harbor Freight ($1.47 for a 5M roll) and their $12.99 heat gun to shrink it.

I know-I know, I could spend more...

SternWake said:
If these were cables passing 100+ alternator/ inverter amps, I would not trust the shown crimp in the photo above either.
I think the crimp will be fine as long as used withing sensible limits, in my opinion passing 100 amps through 6awg wire doesn't sound like a good idea...

I shoulda reread the post about the 'upto' 6awg wire.

While I've previously reported no problems with HF heatshrink on this forum, I've recently discovered that many sections have lost their grip and can be slid off the section of wiring they cover. Some other sections which will not slide off the connection, will spin. Kind of bummed. I used a lot of it over the years.

Amazing how much HF freight stuff comes back to bite later.

SternWake said:
I shoulda reread the post about the 'upto' 6awg wire.

While I've previously reported no problems with HF heatshrink on this forum, I've recently discovered that many sections have lost their grip and can be slid off the section of wiring they cover. Some other sections which will not slide off the connection, will spin. Kind of bummed. I used a lot of it over the years.

They now sell a 'marine' grade that has an adhesive internal layer...

SternWake said:
Harbor Freight is a funny place, a lot of what they sell is crap, but that's not going to stop me from going there to buy stuff...

Willy said:
This is what I use. Klein Linesman's pliers ..Willy.
No one can dispute the quality of Klein tools, but will these crimp 6awg? I can't find it specified anywhere...

The Harbor Freight crimper is a joke but I can get a decent crimp on up to 4 AWG if I take my time and keep rotating the connector 90 degrees as I progressively apply more pressure.
A SEEKER

I have found good and bad tools there. But I generally get my tools at Tractor Supply these days. Better quality and it's a lot closer - on my side of town. HF is across town. Used to be convenient to where I worked. Retirement changed that. ;-)

LeeRevell said:
I have found good and bad tools there. But I generally get my tools at Tractor Supply these days. Better quality and it's a lot closer - on my side of town. HF is across town. Used to be convenient to where I worked. Retirement changed that. ;-)
I go to HF, but only because they're cheap (and close by). I also go to Tractor Supply but they're another 7-8 miles further away. As far as I'm concerned Sears (another 6-7 miles) has the best tools at a reasonable price, they have produced very high quality tools for decades. HF's tools all look good but many of them don't perform. HF's suppliers take more trouble giving them a nice black finish rather than hardening the steel or making them accurate. But HF does have some good tools too, you just have to be a bit more critical (or desperate) when shopping...

LeeRevell said:
Sears' Craftsman Tools aren't what they once were. They too have gone to China.
Some maybe, but I don't think they all have...

But maybe you're right, I read that they started going to China for them and tried to keep the fact hidden. I checked some of my Craftsman tools and the say nothing on the about where they were made (they are fairly new)...

Latest posts