Americans are importing tiny Japanese pickup trucks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most states these mini trucks are not street legal, but as a vehicle for off road use (which means golf course maintenance, campground hosts, campus security, etc) they are a viable option.

In some states, including Oklahoma, they can be made street legal for low speed use only, under 25 mph.

There used to be a few dealers around here, back when the idea was new, but the department(s) of motor vehicles caught up with the owners trying to bypass the laws, and shut them down.

Most of the used, imported ones have a speedometer in km/h and odometer in kilometers, and nearly all are right hand drive, and manual transmission...meaning you will be learning to shift with your left hand...

There is a company in Oklahoma selling them NEW with normal (for the US) left hand drive:

https://tigertruck.com/

I worked at a sign in school days and we had this Diahatsu Hijet mini van.

Diahatsu Hijet

A couple of the workers, one a carpenter who built sign forms, and a house painter who painted them so they could be lettered, drove the little Van to erect the finished signs on the sites where they were to be displayed. They called the little rig the "Micky Mouse". The carpenter, a tall slender guy, drove it but had to open the door to push the clutch in each time he shifted gears.

The shop was near several Golf courses and they permitted it on the courses....but not on the greens. It didn't go on the highways but was adequate for what it was used for. Today I see these being used around the local University campuses & sports stadiums.

Last edited:
In most states these mini trucks are not street legal...
Even where they are street legal, getting insurance can be a real challenge. Specialty vehicle insurers are trying to meet the demand for various types of minis; underwriters are balking. (I like 'em.)

I like them also, but the fact that they don't meet ALL of the USA federal regulations (safety, emissions, etc) means that it becomes a state-by-state issue as to whether they are allowed on the secondary roads in each state.

These things are tooo cool! I see them around from time to time, but I never knew where to get one (Thanks TxtoSturgis).

I'd love to have one of the vans -- don't know what I'd do with it exactly, but LOVE to have one anyway.

Johnny