Amazing Free Youtube Resource For Learning DC Electrical Systems(or anything else)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenTundra

Reaction score
Jim Pytel's YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/bigbadtech/featured AKA "The Big Bad Tech Channel" is an amazing resource for learning A-Z electrical theory and systems!  

I'm currently going back to school for an Industrial Maintenance Technology degree.  I had missed part of a day and needed to catch up on the selection process for transformers in 3 phase industrial motor and control applications.  That's when I stumbled upon this YouTube gem, so I thought I'd pass it along to the membership here.  

This channel, as I understand it, is designed to give somebody brand new to electrical theory and systems, who has some relatively basic math background, a trade school level understanding of electricity.  DISCLAIMER:  This isn't a "lean to install a solar system in 15 minutes" type video.  It is a comprehensive video series designed to progress in a VERY particular sequence in order to build a holistic understanding of electrical theory and systems.  You could jump in at any particular section as a tutorial for a particular system or skill you need information about, just so you understand that it wasn't designed as a huge library of stand alone videos.  I've paid hundreds of dollars for textbooks that are designed to teach this same material, and I honestly believe that Pytel channel is a better, faster, easier way to learn the same information. 

And it's free.  

The part of the series that is most relevant to nomads with solar systems is simply the beginning of the series.  Basic Electronics 1 DC circuit analysis
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdnqjKaksr8qQ9w3XY5zFXQ2H-zXQFMlI

If you don't understand some of the basic math concepts, the Kahn Academy is a gigantic free resource to catch you up.  And trust me, the match isn't as hard as it might seem.  If I can do it, anymonkey can do it! 
https://www.khanacademy.org/

Additionally, there are playlists covering renewable energy systems and battery systems.  
Renewable  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdnqjKaksr8rSVc0t1rwEbsrUdAMl99xH
Batteries 

The Basic Electronics 1 DC circuit analysis playlist is about 54 videos.  They are long and will almost certainly require much pausing and reviewing for somebody brand new to the subject matter.  On the other hand, if you take full advantage of this amazing free resource, created by a talented college instructor to replace textbook based learning, then you will have built a fundamental understanding of your solar electrical systems and your vehicle's DC electrical system.

If you find that you enjoy the DC series, the sky is the limit.  Good luck!

Does anybody else have links to free educational resources about electricity?  It'd be pretty cool to compile a somewhat comprehensive list for those who would like to learn.

Excellent, thanks!

Maine Sail has a lot of HowTo bits and pieces and one of the sailing forums he frequents has a DC Electric 101 giant list o' links thread.

Some older stuff gets inaccurate or at least over-generalizing, e.g. assuming FLA banks.

I'd love to help build and maintain a centralized Wiki to summarize the basics, link to more in-depth resources like these videos, and refer back to a forum for questions and debates.

And of course traditional dead-tree books can be valuable for those who still do that. . .

John61CT said:
And of course traditional dead-tree books can be valuable for those who still do that. . .

Completely off topic (But when has THAT ever stopped us? ;) )  I recently read some Science Fiction where ONLY printed books were trusted.  The government in question was simply changing electronic data files to what ever it wanted them to be, whenever they wanted to.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Completely off topic (But when has THAT ever stopped us? ;) )  I recently read some Science Fiction where ONLY printed books were trusted.  The government in question was simply changing electronic data files to what ever it wanted them to be, whenever they wanted to.

Was it "1984"?

Latest posts