Alternative to parking lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is like AIRBNB then it's well worth it. Hope it takes off and is Successful.

Read the part of Terms of Use called "1. USER RESPONSIBILITY"

ccbreder said:
Read the part of Terms of Use called "1. USER RESPONSIBILITY"

I don't see a problem with this. Is there some specific reason you were calling attention to it?

[They're making it clear that they make NO effort whatsoever to screen or verify the people who post, so Hannibal Lector could easily place adds there to lure you to an out of the way place so he could dine on your liver. 

Yes, there is a reason why the word Paranoid is part of my user name. :)

Section 5.1 is also interesting - the perpetual, free license you are granting them . . .

Regards
John

Wow, you really ARE paranoid.... :D :p

I guess I come from the opposite end of the spectrum - thought nothing of heading out camping 2 portages and several hours of paddling with 11 guys that I've never met before! The only thing I had to do was break the ice so they wouldn't treat me like their mother.... :rolleyes:

I personally know too many folks who have been murdered. Several who have disappeared never to be heard from again. A drug kingpin who "disappeared" people. Plus one suspected murderer (his heavily insured wife "accidentally" fell down an old well on their property. no one could figure out what she was doing out in the fields). And after living in NM, I trust no one. They settle minor disagreements permanently out here (and over the stupidest things). Optimistic Paranoid has a valid point.

Statistically, we are the safest people in the history of the world. We have less to fear than any group of humans have ever had to fear.

By far the most dangerous thing any of us will ever do is get in our car and drive. And yet we have almost no fear of that.

And yet it seems to me we are the most fearful people ever.

I wonder why?
Bob

Personally, I don't consider myself fearful.  I consider myself realistically careful.

The Three Rules of Personal Safety
1:  Don't be stupid.
2:  Don't go to stupid places.
3:  Don't hang out with stupid people.

A story that starts out:  "My buddy told me about a hot new nightclub down in the bad part of town, so we decided to go down there on Saturday night and get wasted . . ."  probably isn't going to end well.

I am aware of the fact that there are a lot of people who think "The universe is a friendly place!" and "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!"

I ain't one of them. 

Maybe the fact that I've just spent the last 25 years of my life in a Juvenile Correctional Facility, keeping an eye on gang members who are known to have new members assault a complete stranger chosen at random as an initiation  has something to do with it.

Regards
John

Fear is our friend; it is truly a gift. When we let fear rule our lives, it becomes a problem. If I feel a twinge of fear when someone walks into my elevator, I get out; however, I'm not afraid of every single person that gets into an elevator with me.

And nothing good ever happens after 2:00 a.m.

Bob, I wonder if these days we just hear and see so much more of the negative
news from all corners of the globe. (Probably sensationalized). You really had to go dig for this news in the pre- internet days. For most of us it's now served up on out phones and TV. Heck there's a couple of cable channels just dedicated to crime stories.

Fearful people are controllable, passive people. The more fearful you are the more dependent you are on the government to take care of you from all the monsters that are everywhere around you.

From the moment of our birth we are inundated and steeped in fear from every corner. It's very hard to do, and few do it, but there is only one good choice:

**** societies rule over you by fear--live the life you've always dreamed of!
Bob

In regard to the original question, I think the owner of one of the mobile lifestyle blogs that I read has used Boondockers Welcome. If I recognize which one is it as I cycle through my long list of blogs, I'll let you know. You could look up his/her old posts or send an email to him/her.

Also, have you done a general Google of the company/organization to see if any reviews pop up?

wow Bob never seen that word in the forum before. I agree 100% with your post. I couldn't have said it better myself. highdesertranger

Canine said:
Fear is our friend; it is truly a gift. When we let fear rule our lives, it becomes a problem. If I feel a twinge of fear when someone walks into my elevator, I get out; however, I'm not afraid of every single person that gets into an elevator with me.

And nothing good ever happens after 2:00 a.m.

I've had some fun times after 2:00 AM....

I just read a novel called State of Fear by Michael Crichton that touches on this very subject. It discussed how a fearful public is easier to manipulate by the government, businesses, and media. I didn't agree with everything in the book but it got me thinking and researching about various subjects. That's a good thing.

I came back to this thread because I happened to be reading some funny pins on Pinterest and found one on the fear topic:

"I'm not at all crazy. I'm just not afraid."

My exwife was so fearful. This might happen, I better do this to make sure this other thing doesnt happen.

As per Bob, my stance is "F" it. If something happens you deal with it and move on. There is no sense in letting fear hold you prisoner. Now I am not saying dont be aware of what's happening around you, but being afraid is a waste of energy.

I think people who live in vans tend to be more on one side of the spectrum than the other.

jl75 said:
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Has anyone tried this site?  Think it'd be worth 25 a year?

In looking at the site, I see enough information required to make it safer than a trip to the local dive bar.  I would say about as safe as trusting random people on here.   :dodgy:

Just let someone know where you are going, and watch out for drinks and prepared foods.  Remember the Cosby factor.  The nicest person could be a  :huh: .

Man has survived by trusting his instincts.  Be careful out there.

Latest posts