Algodones, Mx Dental work

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaadowGorl

Reaction score
My other half is in need of three root canals with crowns. He is fortunate to have some dental coverage up here in the states, but it does not cover much. He's getting one done as it is getting infections often, but the other two can wait a little bit longer. 

Looking for recommendations for providers, estimates of cost, questions to ask, how dental work in Mexico usually works, anything else you can think of that might be of use. We are looking to both be down in the Quartzite area in January and are considering Algodones as an option for getting the two root canals done then.

TYIA!

I had a root canal here in the states but my dentist was of foreign origin and in his home country they didn't use novacaine for pain so had the whole procedure done without numbing. Now because of that experience I just have it pulled if needed. Good luck with finding out the information you seek.

I took my father across at Algodones back around 1999. He had a couple teeth pulled and got dentures a few months later. It cost around one fifth what they would charge here. Back then you could just walk across with a driver's license. We parked in a big parking lot for that purpose on the American side. It was only a few blocks. Had a bland Mexican meal at a local restaurant there too on one visit. He had Novocain.

Most of the root canals in Los Algodones are performed by an expert team of contractors that come in, sets up, performs the procedure, and are out the door in less than 30 minutes. They used the proper amount of pain killer, was numb during the procedure, with no after effects.

My first root canal was performed in NYC around 1978, and it was a horror show, performed by an oral surgeon, with no assistant, in a second floor office on Fifth Avenue on a Friday. A friend would later tease me by saying the line from "Marathon Man" "Is it safe?... Is it safe?" The temporary filling was impacted over the weekend.

None of that happened with my recent root canal.

It was safe.

I went with Parra Dental.

The level of care has been very good, however their rates are not bargain basement. They are across the street from the border crossing about two blocks down. I hesitate to recommend them if the budget is tight.

Someone recently posted on CRVL about using Bob Wells' dental provider with more reasonable rates. Search for the post.

I'm heading back down in October for finishing touches on an implant and some hanging out in Imperial County.

Hopefully, I will be able to say "I won't be back".

Had a root canscansl done in Algodones last dprimng and a crown rerplaced. Bad results, the crown was poor work, bad fit. The root canal a total disaster. The dentist did not put filler all the way uo the canal he made and that left it prone to ijnfection. It did get infected, with antibiotic resistant bacteria. Had to get that tooth extracted several momths later by a dentist in Flagstaff. She showed me the Xrays that were proof that the crown and root canal were both very bad work. I don't recall the dental office name but the office is on the right through a passagewaty into a building courtyard just after you go through the entry gate.

No guarantees you will get great results at a dentist, not in the US and not in Mexico either but stay away from that place. I went there on a recommendation but there is of course often more than one dentist at a clinic. I will still seek dental care in Mexico again for basic cleanings in fall and spring, but never again at that location.

By the way you can still walk across and back with just a current driver license if you are a US citizen. . My friend who was with me did that. I haven an enhanced license. No passport was needed for either of us. But take along your birth certificate as proof if you feel in doubt.

I have had a lot of work done at J P Dental. I know many people that also have had work done. Out of about 9 different procedures, only one is giving me a problem. It is small enough to wait for the next trip down. Then it will probably be free. Juan will personally meet you at the border, and walk you to his new modern office. My nephew also had most of his teeth repaired or replaced for about $2300.  It was $750 for a single extraction in the us as he needed a surgeon. As already stated, several dental offices share professionals that only do specific procedures. That keeps the cost down as they do not need to charge you for having a surgeon on the premises waiting. 

Eye glasses are also available as is ONE bottle of much less expensive booze. Pure vanilla was $5 a liter 

Prescriptions (non narcotics) can also be filled for up to 6 month supply for much less. Shop around for your meds. Bring a list and ask for prices. I like the Phoenix Pharmacy.

My best advice is to do your homework- you can find information about the dentists’ education/training/experience and ratings and referrals online. My brother went to “Sani Dental” in Algodones. I went to “Dr. Mexico” in Tijuana, and we are both happy with the work we had done. My dentist in US (best dentist I’ve ever had) approved of their work. I got implants and crowns which were not cheap, but about a third the cost of what American dentists charge, even with insurance. But as is true anywhere, charlatans and crooks would be delighted to part you from your money, so again, I urge you do your homework before you let anyone mess around with your teeth.

Update: forget Dr. Mexico! One of the dental implants I got there came out, taking the attached bridge with it! They will replace the implant (the part that screws into your jaw) for no additional charge, but claim that I will need a 3D scan and bone regeneration surgery at my expense as well as a new abutment (part that attaches the crown to the implant) and the new final bridge, also on my dime. Ka-ching!

Please be very careful of getting MRSA from dental work, I've had 2 friends get it after dental work, one died. I had a very bad case of MRSA they couldn't cure, I was in the hospital twice for over a week each, home on an IV for 6 weeks in between. A combo of hyperbaric oxegen treatments 2 hrs daily for 6 weeks, taking the most powerful antibiotic for longer than anyone had & canine mrsa treatment finally stopped it but destroyed my immune system & probably led to having ALS. According to info below you have better than a 1 in 18 chance of MRSA every dentist visit. Please be careful, also when getting blood drawn where I got it getting my "free physical"
Results MRSA was observed on the surfaces of dental operatory including the air-water syringe and reclining chair. Nosocomial infection or colonisation of MRSA occurred in eight out of 140 consecutive patients who had no evidence of MRSA at admission.