ALGADONES, MEXICO

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkey

Reaction score
It's my understanding that on 17 January, 2018 there will be a seminar on Algodones, Mexico at the RTR. Can this be confirmed? Will the participants visit Algodones at that time? The company I rented a van from  to visit RTR doesn't allow their vehicles to travel outside the USA(e.g. to Mexico or Canada). Curious to know if it's possible to attach a ride with any fellow RTR attendees.

Any clarification/help would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Malcolm (Malkey)

When you go to Los Algodones, you park on the US side of the border. The Quechan tribe runs a large parking lot there. $6.00. The south end of the lot is right against the border. Look at Google Maps satellite view and see what I mean. Then you walk about a block to the border crossing. You just walk in, no customs & immigration stuff to deal with. Then you're right there where all the dental and optical offices and pharmacies are. There are hawkers and souvenir stands, bars, restaurants and all that. Everyone accepts dollars. When you leave, you get in line for the US customs & immigration. They might ask you what you're bringing back, but there's no problem unless you're trying to bring back narcotics or certain other forbidden medications.

So like something like Prozac would be okay? Is there a list of banned drugs?

Hubcab45 said:

Here is my understanding.
-If it's legal to possess in the US, it's legal to possess coming through customs.
-Although the US may require a prescription to buy something, Mexico may not. This means it's legal to buy in Mexico and still legal to possess in the US.
-I believe this is limited to a "personal use" of what would amount to 3 months of any given medication.

Having said that, I've returned from Algodones a few times with medication, and never had the customs officers actually look in any detail about what I was bringing back. They've never looked in my bag, or patted me down, or anything. Once I held up 4 bottles of pills I had bought at a pharmacy and the officer squinted at them for about 0.5 seconds without so much as leaning forward in his chair, and waved me through.

That being said, I would not suggest trying to return with anything that is illegal. No one wants to chance rubber glove time.

I went over about a couple of weeks ago. If you ask around many people will tell you all kinds of different quantities and other various things. Here is what you need to know.

If it is a controlled substance you will need a prescription from a doctor (I do not know if a Mexican doctors script would work or not).

Most pharmacies will tell you how much you can bring back (they do this for a living and this is in their best interest).

If you bring back more than what is allowed, you may have to pay a duty (tax) that I believe is 20% of the purchase price. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!

Yes, they do have some wheelchair ramps. The sidewalks and ramps can be 'rough' so take caution if you have any ambulatory issues. Remember I am in a wheelchair and I went and came back alone with no problems and found it to be a pleasant experience that I will repeat.

Keep your wallet and/or money safe! This is on both sides of the boarder and is a problem everywhere in the world where tourist congregate.

Groups, you don't have to but I would recommend it not just for safety but it can make it a better experience all around to be with friends.

Take this advice as you will, and remember I am rather intrepid and also only went two blocks in as I was on a timeline. Good luck, have fun.

Hubcab45 said:

I think you will need a script.

Hey, cool! I'm planning on going January 17th, after the seminar, or maybe the 18th because it's pretty free. If anyone else would like to caravan on down there, wouldn't mind the company! Pm me

Besides the medication, you can also buy excellent, fresh, large shrimp caught in the Gulf of California. Look for the guys on the street corners. They'll pack it in several plastic bags with plenty of ice. Also cheap, fresh asparagus.

Be aware that many of the bars in Algodones are basically brothels. So if a guy is killing time in a cantina, while waiting for the return line to the US to get smaller, it is quite likely that women will be propositioning him. Not that there's anything wrong with that, many of my galfriends are... lol j/k

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

^
What Iggy says is true. If you're a single guy wandering around they will eventually solicit you. "Hey bro, you want a girlfriend?" It's legal, I guess, but I always decline!

tonyandkaren said:
Besides the medication, you can also buy excellent, fresh, large shrimp caught in the Gulf of California. Look for the guys on the street corners. They'll pack it in several plastic bags with plenty of ice.  Also cheap, fresh asparagus.

And bargain priced tequila.