Air Tight Garbage Container

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cy_5th

Reaction score
Inexpensive, keeps smell in of course, air tight. Just need small enough to last a few days before I empty. Will probably use a standard grocery plastic bag liner.

These past three months I have been using just the thick plastic bags that seal and are odor tight that you can buy at an outdoor box store (they use to sell better ones).

First they don't last long. Second lastly just too much unsealing sealing unraveling the liner. So replacing the garbage "container" is busy.

So need one that is hands free if that's the only new tech I request. Where it's no touch. Be it battery operated tether to the Li lol jk. Or USB anyway.

If not simple mechanical type will suffice.

Just want to know from ya'll the ones that tried and true tested.

Last edited:
Excuse dumb question ... you're talking about for regular household garbage or for poop? Since you posted this in the personal hygiene section I assume you've already seen all the poop advice?

Excuse dumb question ... you're talking about for regular household garbage or for poop? Since you posted this in the personal hygiene section I assume you've already seen all the poop advice?
I didn't know where to post, regular household garbage.

Yes I seen the poop advice.

Why I posted here is because it's starting to affect personal hygiene whenever open then bag and it won't seal. So the smell of the household garbage leaks. So I need an actual container.

Even with an air tight container when you open it the smalls will disperse so we often if say peeling an onion will dispose of it in a ziplock freezer bag which we don’t reopen and put it in a trash bag inside a 5 gallon bucket with a o-ring sealed screw on lid that is sold for food storage called a Gamma lid I believe. I think they make smaller ones now as well for the smaller buckets.

I don't care If I open it and it smell of course. I care when it's supposed to be sealed. Unseal and sealing ruins the zip.

So a container is better. I understand it's going to smell when you open it.

Not going the freezer route. My ex was a compost nut would put bag In freezer. This was apartment living.

A container. I guess dog food container will work
It will have a plastic liner. My concern is if when I do go Backcountry don't want smell attracting bears.

I will look into the gamma lid. That can fit a plastic standard grocery bag for a few days.

OK thanks @CY-5th, just wanted to make sure before I said anything dumb(er).
What about ... one of those 5-gallon buckets with a gasket lid? <<<corrected after reading bullfrog: gamma lid.
(I don't know if any smaller buckets have that same type of lid.)
.... a container with a good closure from the aisle at Walmart with all the plastic boxes? they have a big variety of sizes.
You could still use a standard grocery bag, and just place it inside the sealable container. That way the container itself stays mostly clean.
Also how about keeping your "wet" garbage separate from the rest, so you have less of the smelly stuff to worry about? for example, if you're not too environmentally pure, get a lot of baggies and seal up your meal rejects or fruit peels in those. that's small enough you could occasionally chuck it in a public trash can too. Once you get rid of the food waste, the rest of the garbage is usually not so icky to deal with.

PS I'm living in sticks and bricks but for the first time in my life I have to pay for my own garbage disposal. quite the awakening :LOL: It's a small place too so I'm having to learn to get creative. There's an empty stand-alone freezer in here, and that's where the dry garbage goes (in bags). Whenever the regular fridge-freezer fills up with food waste, that's when I'll go to the dump lol. It's turned into sort of a game, let's see how little volume of trash I can produce. Of course it's 100x more challenging in a vehicle.

PS I'm living in sticks and bricks but for the first time in my life I have to pay for my own garbage disposal. quite the awakening :LOL: It's a small place too so I'm having to learn to get creative. There's an empty stand-alone freezer in here, and that's where the dry garbage goes (in bags). Whenever the regular fridge-freezer fills up with food waste, that's when I'll go to the dump lol. It's turned into sort of a game, let's see how little volume of trash I can produce. Of course it's 100x more challenging in a vehicle.
So basically my ex was onto something when she put a bag or an empty Hagan daz ice cream pint filled with future compost in the freezer. Keeps my concern at bay, the smell.

Interesting.

As suggested for bathroom needs a used plastic laundry detergent container would work well as it is air tight, residual fragrance “covers” a lot of smells and they can be obtained at laundromat trash receptacles for free, meaning you can simply fill them and if the bag leaks dispose of them.

Through trail and error you will before very long figure out how to deal with your trash so your place does not become a stink bomb. Different people choose different ways of doing this. There is no one solution that fits everyone’s situation or dislikes.

So basically my ex was onto something when she put a bag or an empty Hagan daz ice cream pint filled with future compost in the freezer.
Well, whether you eventually take it to a garbage pail or a compost heap, putting it in the freezer means you don't have to immediately run out and put it there.
She definitely had the right idea with emptying a Hagan daz ice cream container lol.

Latest posts