air mattress solution?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanontheroad

Reaction score
Our bed slides out. Because of how it is, putting in a hydraulic or pneumatic helper might not be possible. I can't lift it by myself. DH can do it, but he's in his late 60's and not getting any younger. Got to lighten the load up there or we'll be in the market for another rv in a couple years. Too dangerous to have a big area like that that we can just barely get into and that hangs over our heads when we do get into it. Maybe an air mattress.

"What a beautiful rig."

Sarcasm noted and whole heartedly agreed with. The platform and the heavy metal framework under it slide. The bottom does not. There is no place on the bottom or floor to anchor the hydraulics. One end would by attached to a part that is stable and one end would be attached to a part that moves almost 2 feet. This bed was designer by a crazy person.

Electrics and hoses run all over under there like a tangle of snakes. Right now, we have some lathing shelving over it so we can put things there without interfering with air circulation or whatever. We had thought of something like you say, putting in sliding doors on at least one side and having the guys at Camping World put all the snakes on the other. Not a perfect solution and surely an expensive one. But a lot cheaper than buying a new rig.

I don't know if this would help your situation but I have an Air Dream mattress that has springs and an air chamber, which is very comfortable. The special pump comes with it and it inflates in less than a minute. They are made for sofas but you could keep it inflated if you want. Here is the link where I bought mine. www.airdream.net

Hope this helps.

Sorry about the double post but I couldn't edit. I have slept on the mattress for 8 years. I have had to change the air chamber due to my dog using it for a launch pad when she was young. And I have also had to request a new one due to manufacture defect, but they were very helpful and sent a new one. I did not have to return the old one, just cut the lot number off of the old one and send it.

Did I miss something, I don't understand this thread at all. Were there pictures? If so, I don't see them now.
Bob

Referring to the crazy design of the bed and I completely agree that it is crazy. Now that you are talking about it, I don't remember exactly what parts of this bed slides. I think the base does not. Maybe we need to take a better look. We do have a shelf we made high enough over the inverter so it would still have good air circulation. The main problem is the way we have to get at it. I can't lift the top at all, which means that if my sewing machine or hiking boots are under there and DH is out fishing, I am out of luck until he gets back. So, I get more than my fair share of the easy storage. DH has a bad back and he's heading for 70. We have to figure out how to me it easier on him, too. Maybe we can put doors on the side and some sort of removable bins so the technicians don't have an impossible job when DH is finally too old to deal with that.

It is a nice rig. Thank you for the compliment. We are comfortable enough that full timing for the next 10 years, into our dotage, still sounds pretty good. It's small enough that it fits into a lot of places (not all) that have size restrictions and big enough that we can spread out and not be in each other's way.

Bob, I have to wait on those table pics. DH had it set up temporarily, then took it back apart because he wanted to make some changes. The old joke in engineering circles is than if you want a project to finally be finished, you shoot the engineer. Anyway, as soon as he puts it back together, I take and post a pic. The laminated flooring has a stripped oak look. It will wear like linoleum but look like wood (if you are into a little self-deception. As it is the only eating /sewing / small mechanical work/laptop/etc area we have, it gets a lot of use. It needs to be able to take a beating.

akrvbob said:
Did I miss something, I don't understand this thread at all. Were there pictures? If so, I don't see them now.
Bob

Glad it wasn't just me lol

akrvbob said:
Bob

Glad it wasn't just me lol. Lighten the load up where?

We sleep on a full sized air mattress from Wal-Mart's camping section (flocked one). We have a 4" memory foam topper (also from Wal-Mart) on it. On top of that is a queen sized heated mattress pad we bought from Sam's Club that fits the stacked mattress/topper very well. I do have to buy full sized fitted sheets made for deep mattresses.

It took a while for the vinyl mattress to completely stretch. We added air to the mattress for several nights ( almost every night for the first week and it tappers off as the time goes by). After a month, we stopped needing to add air. It is very close to sleeping on a waterbed (what we used to sleep on back when we had a house). The heated pad is very nice in the winter and it uses very little power. Also we both have bad backs. This bed works great for us.