Air compressors on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
What are the chances of finding places (out there on the road) that carry air compressors capable of 3000 to 4500 psi output? I'm trying to make a decision on buying a scuba tank or hand pump for an air rifle.<div><br></div><div>Plenty of auto shops carry them on hand but I don't know what the average PSI output of one at a shop would be.</div><div><br></div>

Hey Steve,
3-4500 psi would BE huge, massive and dangerous! Think space shuttle launch!! The two numbers on an air compressor are :
-psi- typically 100 for a tiny, 12v cheapie to 135/150 for an average homeowner one or small jobsite , up to 200 or so for a large shop or construction site. Even the big trailer mounted diesel ones that run jackhammers are about 200 psi.
BUT
tthe other number is SCFM (square cubic feet per minute) this is the VOLUME of air available to do work. My small jobsite ac is about 4 scfm, or about enough to run a framing nail gun or a couple of finish nailers. Air sanders and Chisles and impact guns in a body shop run around 5/6 scfm. Industrial jackhammers are around 9/10 scfm.
As a comparison, I have a SMALL pressure washer and it's 2700 psi, enough to puncture skin or etch concrete. Do divers really strap 4000 psi on thier back?!?

Divers typically carry tanks rated to 3000 psi. Air gunners/paint ballers carry 3000 and 4500 psi tanks. The tanks typically carried by divers and air gunners are 80 cf size. The 4500 psi tanks are made of carbon fiber, and the reason for the higher psi is because you get more refills on your PCP air rifle. Unfortunately these tanks are considerably more costly than scuba's which is why I don't plan on buying one.<div><br></div><div>Scuba tanks get bounced around in the boat a little when going out to dive locations. Air gun hunters bounce around tanks during car rides to the hunt. I don't see how it'll be dangerous since they're exposed regularly to both types of abuses. Also the one thing that is corrosive to tanks is the one thing I wouldn't be exposing it to. Salt water. This is why Scuba tanks have to be checked and certified on a regular basis. I'm still going to get mine checked, but it makes salt water corrosion less of a worry for me.</div><div><br></div><div>So basically what you're saying is that I may have a hard time finding a shop with a powerful enough compressor to refill my tank in a small town?</div>

Most dive shops require a "C" card to refill tanks.<br>

All of the auto shop compressor's I worked on were 250 PSI max --<br><br>The few screw type I P / M-ed had pop off valves set at 300 PSI.<br>

After thought ---<br><br>When all the fire dept. / emergency services around the country have their scuba equipment serviced -- where do they go ? <br>

lampliter said:
Most dive shops require a "C" card to refill tanks.
<div><br></div><div>Some, but not all. I've checked with the local dive shops here (along with some that I used to frequent in CA) and learned that they ask you to sign a waiver (release of liability) that the tank/air is not being used for dives.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div>

Ok , Steve, I just wanted to be sure, but it sounds like you would know. I had no idea that went up that high ( shrug) I learn something here every time I log in. Even the newest air tools I have seen, a company called Maxaire, that offers tools that run at 260-300 psi, requires you to jack your compressor way up or buy one or theirs.

Les H said:
Ok , Steve, I just wanted to be sure, but it sounds like you would know. I had no idea that went up that high ( shrug) I learn something here every time I log in. Even the newest air tools I have seen, a company called Maxaire, that offers tools that run at 260-300 psi, requires you to jack your compressor way up or buy one or theirs.
<div><br></div><div>To be fair my involvement with scuba equipment was rusty. I had to review the tank specs since it'd been over10 years since this info was fresh in my mind.</div><div><br></div>