AGM / Gel batteries...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJean

Reaction score
In having a genset installed under Mulligan this week I learned alot from 3 or 4 different installers.

ONE very important thing I DID NOT KNOW and nowhere have I read it on the forums I go to....   about AGM batteries and also about gel batteries.  These are sealed batteries (even tho all have lead acid) and have more tolerance for not being rather level with the vehicle etc.

HOWEVER...  everyone I have read talks about being able to mount these batteries on their sides.  WHILE this is TRUE.... what I learned from the battery experts at PENN in Ft Lauderdale is IF YOU MOUNT these types of batteries on theirs sides YOU LOSE 16% of the capability!!!

So the generator needs 360 amps for cranking it up/starting.... the AGM I bought, while smaller than the regular acid battery and has that rating (actually metered at 414 amps)... if it's put on its side then it drops below what I need to start the generator (and this battery's ONLY job is to start the generator :rolleyes: )

Just thought I'd pass this along.

You talking East Penn/Deka? Someone in their engineering or tech support?

Or on the retail side, American Battery?

In thousands of threads, hundreds of docs I also have never come across any such idea.

DrJean said:
IF YOU MOUNT these types of batteries on theirs sides YOU LOSE 16% of the capability!!!

But if you flip them over to the other side you GAIN 32% of capability. And if you stand them on end (positive terminal at the top, of course) you DOUBLE their power!   :D

I used the "Contact Us" feature of Lifeline's website to ask them about this.  If I receive an answer, I will post it here.

I've never heard of this, and could only see it occurring IF the batteries were starved of electrolyte absorbed in the glass matting before being sealed.

Like if a flooded battery's caps would not leak if mounted on its side, a portion of the plates would not be exposed to the electrolyte and no chemical reaction would occur in that exposed portion, reducing capacity.

AGMS are packed tight and the glass matting should be filled to the brim before the caps are installed and thus mounting position should make no difference to capacity.

I made a powerpack from a lifeline GPL-31XT mounted on its side, and if anything the battery indicated it had more than 125AH capacity by the voltage many hours ofter removing the measured loads which brough it to that 50% level.

I'd be interested in Lifeline's response. Perhaps some of the less expensive AGMS might be underfilled and better to keep them terminals up.