AGM battery leakage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting. that page says AGM but on the Amazon page they call it both an AGM and a "sealed lead acid" SLA. I guess technically all AGM's are SLA but usually SLA just means a sealed flooded battery. at any rate I have never seen an AGM were you could hear the fluid sloshing around inside. highdesertranger

With the suggested charge voltage listed on that page, the price paid, and the fact that you have 'sloshing' sounds....I think what you have is a flooded battery.

It won't be the first time an item has been misrepresented.

Not a great maker for true deep cycling usage.

Not so much "dangerous" odds are low it will physically explode, but should definitely be replaced sooner rather than later.

It's very rare for good value purchasing to include shipping costs even in the lower 48.

The marine / fisheries industry is a huge-volume consumer of industrial-strength deep-cycling batteries, the Alaska fleet usually supplies out of the PNW cities, but I have to believe there are decent local marine suppliers that sell quality batts up there.

Are you sure you really need AGM? lots pricier and less robust than good FLA.

climbing coastie said:
I remember hearing a crack when I installed my hold down strap. But didn’t worry about it as I thought AGM’s didn’t leak even if damaged. Maybe I should have.

If you must keep it in service keep it in a plastic battery box.  If you see the crack superglue might help.  Do not rinse alkaline baking soda into the crack.

John Daniel has a youtube channel and deals with cracked batteries. He might have some suggestions. Trebor's suggestions may be all you need.

So I splurged on a new battery I found locally. It’s a Full River DC210-12. All the literature on their website refers to bulk, absorption, and float stages.

My Renogy MT-50 controller has boost, equalization, and float stages. Are these terms interchangeable? Or do they mean different things?

I’m worried I’m going to destroy this battery too, so wanting to make sure I get the controller set up correctly.

The standard terminology is Bulk Absorb then Float.

Likely their use of Boost is the Absorb setpoint

Bulk is just the stage before that is reached, controlled by the SoC and batt chemistry not the SC.

Equalization will not apply to those agm, just disable it.

John is right. Do not use equalization on AGM batteries. The MT-50 is a meter. What controller do you have?

OT but Lifeline does get equalized, only AGM exceptiin.

climbing coastie said:
My Renogy MT-50 controller has boost, equalization, and float stages. Are these terms interchangeable? Or do they mean different things?

You probably know this, but to keep others on the right track:  the MT-50 is a display/interface rather than a controller.  It connects to the controller.

One of the quirks of the Tracer/Renogy/whatever controllers is they call Absorption stage the "boost" stage. Confusing, I know.

The MT-50 shows equalization setpoints (voltage and duration) but you won't be using it. I'd set the duration to 0 and the voltage to your absoption voltage to prevent accidents.