After almost a year of saving..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandaOnTheRoad

Reaction score
It looks like my unconventional dream is coming true.
This is an old red cross disaster relief vehicle. So hard to find a cheap, high-top van with low miles!

My lease ends in September and I move in full-time then. Until then... let the renovations begin!

Anybody have advice on an easy method to outfit this with electricity and closet/storage space?

Any suggestions appreciated!!

4f6a7293c250de8690e6af25dd46e064.jpg

Good for you Randa! :)

There's lots of detailed conversion logs on this site, as well as some nice youtube stuff. Check out Beth's Van Conversion:

For storage, maybe find a design you like and then ask specifically for ideas on how to change it to exactly what you're looking for.

For electric, you need to decide how much power and what you plan to power, solar or genset or alternator, and budget.

Looks like an exciting project!

Congrats on finding your rig! I like it! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Post pics for us as you go :)

Nice find with such low mileage! Have fun with your project!

Great find! Electricity can be as simple as a plug in inverter or as wild as an on board generator! All depends on how much you want to spend. Welcome too btw, cant wait to see what you figure our for storage space, been my biggest brain buster as well!

Just a word on the "closet\storage." If you will be working on your travels, renovate your wardrobe, while you are renovating the van. Shelves and bins are a lot more efficient than hanging space. The first time we were out, I did a little Kelly Girl work in places we wanted to stay a while. Several knit tops, a couple knit skirts, and a pair of black polyester slacks, all of which are washable and foldable, can take you through a whole season of temp office work or shop clerking. Get one of Joy Mangano's little hand steamers from HSN. Stow it all in a bin out of the way in the times when you are not working.

BTW, if you want a little more upscale look to your work wardrobe and you can afford to spend on it as an investment, stop by the QVC outlets in Myrtle Beach or in PA ànd check out the Susan Graver line. Her stuff is wrinkle and stain resistant, classic design, and virtually immortal thru hundreds of wearings. I had a black swing skirt of hers that I wore about twice a week before I retired for nearly 3 years until I got too chubby to wear it, just changed out tops and scarves. It still looked new when it went to the thrift shop.

Sorry to bore you, guys, but the RV'ing women out there who need to work probably have different skills and physical abilities than you do and need to prepare accordingly.

cyndi said:
Randa! Welcome to the CRVL forums!
My two favorite conversions are Cheri's
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/cheris...on-how-to/

And von brown's (this one also has overhead storage in the rear, now)
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/home-f...anization/

I believe Bob and Enigmatic nomadics did video of both of these

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.
hi.....clicked on both of the above van builds i got what i call "it ain't here page, now what" entered cheri's van conversion & got the blog.......ditto on von brown link= 3x's = could never find it...just fyi    happy trails   TJB

I installed plastic drawers from Walmart, but next time I will get some regular cabinets, but the cost is more. We have IKEA up here, where you can (purchase) set up your whole kitchen with their drawers and cabinets. And they are lightweight. The only thing you will have to add in are what I call baby-stoppers: They are convenient little tabs that you fix onto the inside of your drawers/cupboards to keep them from flying out when you are driving. When I chose the colors for my van, I first started with the curtain fabric. It is easier to match the paint/flooring to the fabric than it is the other way around. Enjoy, you must be in love all over again!! I would be!!

gcal said:
BTW, if you want a little more upscale look to your work wardrobe and you can afford to spend on it as an investment, stop by the QVC outlets in Myrtle Beach or in PA ànd check out the Susan Graver line. Her stuff is wrinkle and stain resistant, classic design, and virtually immortal thru hundreds of wearings. I had a black swing skirt of hers that I wore about twice a week before I retired for nearly 3 years until I got too chubby to wear it, just changed out tops and scarves. It still looked new when it went to the thrift shop.

Sorry to bore you, guys, but the RV'ing women out there who need to work probably have different skills and physical abilities than you do and need to prepare accordingly.
That's actually extremely helpful! You read my mind!

I'm overwhelmed with all the helpfulness on this forum. A community that really seems to stick together although far apart! Very heartwarming. Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to the drawing board and will update as I go :)