Advice wanted:MPPT charge controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wabbit said:
@anm- can you configure it so it holds 14.8 for the three hours that people have recommended as a general starting point? Also, first thoughts on it? I'm looking at prob same eBay listing.

There are 4 battery types: Sealed, Gel, Flooded, and User defined. For types Sealed, Gel, and Flooded you can alter the Equalize or Boost durations.  If you want to alter Voltage parameters you must set battery type to 'User' where you can alter Voltages as well as the Equalize or Boost durations. All voltages can be set between 9-17 volts, and durations between 0-180 mins for Equalize and 10-180 mins for Boost. That is my interpretation of the user manual. The VS2024BN which I used for over a year functioned exactly the same way, that made the transition easy for me. I am using the User battery type since I'm now running a LiFePo4 battery — for what I paid for lead-acid batteries I could have bought a LiFePo4...

From the manual (pdf), it can do 0-3hrs in Absorption (which epsolar confusingly but consistently calls "boost"):

Code:
Boost Duration [User configured] 0~3 hrs

I have an older A version rather than BN and I'm impressed with it.  Seems to be the same functionality.  Bought it to test a poor man's configurable converter setup as seen on youtube.  Also lets me mock up a little electrical install here in my taped-off pretend van floorplan here in my office. :)

anm said:
There are 4 battery types: Sealed, Gel, Flooded, and User defined. For types Sealed, Gel, and Flooded you can alter the Equalize or Boost durations.  If you want to alter Voltage parameters you must set battery type to 'User' where you can alter Voltages as well as the Equalize or Boost durations. All voltages can be set between 9-17 volts, and durations between 0-180 mins for Equalize and 10-180 mins for Boost. That is my interpretation of the user manual. The VS2024BN which I used for over a year functioned exactly the same way, that made the transition easy for me. I am using the User battery type since I'm now running a LiFePo4 battery — for what I paid for lead-acid batteries I could have bought a LiFePo4...

I've seen others say user too and they ended up not actually being settable. Please do a test and make sure this one actually will hit 14.8v for at least a couple hours...We may for the first time have an MPPT worth buying

bardo said:
I've seen others say user too and they ended up not actually being settable. Please do a test and make sure this one actually will hit 14.8v for at least a couple hours...We may for the first time have an MPPT worth buying

The EPsolar VS2024BN (PWM) and the Tracer 3215BN (MPPT) are both fully settable as the manual indicates. The only time I have seen a problem with their controllers was when an eBay seller was selling a VS2024BN but what they actually delivered was a VS2024N — which has very limited adjustability. With the 3215BN MPPT controller you have to also buy the MT50 or have something similar to allow setting it...

Here is a picture of my 'completed' system:
DSC04860.JPG

With the LiFePo4 battery the charge voltage correction for temperature is not needed but I left the temperature sensor on the battery since the 3215BN also monitors the battery temperature and will disconnect it if it gets too high.  The temperature sensor was not included with the charge controller and meter that I bought, but it is readily available on eBay. I have the CC's Load terminals connected to the coil of a 200A continuous-duty relay since I use a large inverter and the CC's Load terminals can only handle 20A. I wanted the CC to be able to kill all loads if the battery voltage drops too low, this setup allows that. I don't know if the Load circuit in the CC is protected so I put a protection diode across the solenoid coil.

The only thing left to add is a battery temperature monitor that will not allow charging if the LiFePo4 battery temperature is freezing or below. I had it on my old setup, but haven't moved it over yet...

that's a medieval torture device for pre-teen girls

highdesertranger said:
what's that thingy on the right,  with the coily wire.  highdesertranger

It's an ancient mobil phone... as long as it's installed in a van...

BTW, Renogy is selling this and other EPsolar charger controllers under their own label...