Advice on 1997 GMC Conversion Van $4500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcor

Reaction score
Looked at this van today. 97,000 miles. 5.3l engine . Interior is like brand new including the carpeting. I plan on converting it into a camper van,. Owned by the same family since new. They have all the paperwork for all repairs. My concerns are this there already been transmission and rear end rebuilt. Brakes and rotors already done. No trailer hitch so it wasn't a tow vehicle. According to the paperwork. The oil was changed regularly with synthetic oil. The oil dipstick looked very clean. The transmission fluid was perfect pink very clean. Brake fluid very new looking.

Motor and tranny seem good. The brakes do have a problem of pedal sinking when stopped. The air was working good but cut out a couple times going up a steep hill. Tires have good tread but some dry rot I found on 1 tire between the tread and tire. I couldn't check the DOT date because it was on the inside. The wasn't used very much for a few years.

The interior leather seats and bench might bring some extra money for my conversion.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5998.JPG
    IMG_5998.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6002.JPG
    IMG_6002.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 17
It is an Explorer brand Conversion. Very nicely done.

Tomcor said:
Looked at this van today. 97,000 miles. 5.3l engine . Interior is like brand new including the carpeting. I plan on converting it into a camper van,. Owned by the same family since new.
<-------->
Thoughts?
The sinking brake pedal is worrisome, could be air in the lines, which would mean it wasn't bled properly, or, a brake wheel cylinder is bad.
The air cutting out going up a hill also bothers me. I would certainly ask about the trans and diff. The trans being rebuilt could be normal, but the differential should not have been worn out already? The tow hitch could have been removed. Do they have a large boat in the yard?
For the most part this sounds good, but there are some details that make me suspicious. Have you seen receipts for rebuilt engine, trans, and diff from a reputable shop? I mean, could have been their friend, uncle, etc. that did rebuilds for them, then wrote the receipts.

No engine rebuild. Engine seems fine. Slight leak front of oil pan, no drips on driveway. Tranny no leaks at all. The receicets were from repair shops in Redwood City ca. $1900 for tranny work. And $800 for rear end work.
No boat in sight. Very reputable older gentleman seller. Maybe the shops charged them for not needed. No rust, a Utah ca vehicle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also in the receipts there quite a bit of work done on the brakes, for rotors seals drums ,master cylinder. The brake fluid looked spotless. I will check the receipts better tomorrow morning, if it is still there. I am camping close to the location tonight.

It just seems like a lot of work done for being only 97k miles. There is not one spot on the carpet including under the drivers floormat. Body also in great condition. Rims have a few scratches. And tires look pretty much new. Although I know that even new looking can be 10 years old or more.

If the van is that solid, it sounds like it's time to make a offer then. $4500 sounds reasonable, but you might start at $4000.

is it a 1500 or 2500, if its the 1500 pass, from your description it sounds like the drivetrain has been working hard. i wonder what happened to take out the tranny and diff? the air is weird

Check the brake and gas pedal for wear. Also any sign that the drivers' seat may have been switched out.

All that work on a 97 with such low mileage makes me suspicious that the odometer wasn't working, either accidentally or on purpose, for quite some time and that the mileage shown isn't 'quite' accurate.

The brake job, not so much but the transmission definitely shouldn't have had to be done that early. My 2002 had brand new brake lines when I bought it. It had been sitting for a number of years and when the PO went to move it to the daughters place to sell it, the brake pedal went right to the floor...lines all rusted.

On the other hand, my last truck needed $5000 in repairs in the first 60,000 miles. Including a whole new clutch system even though I found out after I bought it that it had a weak design so I was very careful with it. Some vehicles are just that way. I think mine must have been made on a Friday afternoon when everyone wanted to leave for the weekend or something. This van looks clean, and could be a good deal. Or it could keep nickle and diming you to death. Are you willing to take a chance on it?

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]but there are some details that make me suspicious[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That's a tough one but, take it to a mechanic and get it inspected. The good is that all that work has been done and you have receipts. Maybe call the trans shop and see if they remember the job...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The bad is that there's almost no reason for all that work to have been necessitated with that "original" mileage. As a previous poster stated, there could be some odometer fraud, odometer replacement issues... Carfax or Autocheck![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Vehicle looks about perfect from your pictures. I'd spend the $100 at a shop and find out what they think about the brakes and air conditioning... give it a shot.[/font]

Went back to talk to seller. He refused me having a mechanic inspection. I will keep looking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]He refused me having a mechanic inspection[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Well, that about says it all!  As long as you were going to pay for it and it wasn't going to take the van out of service for a day, what did he have to lose (except pulling a fast one over on you?)...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Good idea to keep looking.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]By the way, PineyCruisin found a nice V6 GM conversion van. I've been looking up the reviews of that motor (4.8 V6) and find that most reviewers (vans and 1500 pickups) find it to do ok.  So maybe consider a V6.  I cannot comment much on the Ford and Dodge V6's, the Dodge is a 3.9 which might be a tad small.  The Ford is a 4.2.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Here's a forum post about it:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/do...vy-4-3l-v6-which-is-best.259276/page-5[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"The 3.9 is a 318 v8 with two cylinders chopped off. It is a long lasting engine with decent torque but the chevy 4.3 should be noticeably more powerful and last just as long. If it were me I'd take the dakota with 3.9 or a full size chevy with 4.3. A full size dodge with the 3.9 is likely to get poor fuel economy empty simply because of the weight and wind resistance of the truck."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]end of quote[/font]

"The ford 4.2 is a great engine for what it is. The main problem with them is the factory intake gasket will crack at the corner and the allow water to slowly enter the cylinder. Its a pain to fix, but if you do it when you first notice your loosing water your fine. I've had 2 of these trucks, water leaked into my number 4 cylinder and when we went to start it one day, boom bent connecting rod. That truck had just over 100K on it. My current truck has over 165K and this past summer it finally started loosing water, replaced the gasket and its good to go again. The 4.2 has a little more power then the 4.3 too. Either way you'll be getting a good truck."

Tomcor said:
Went back to talk to seller. He refused me having a mechanic inspection. I will keep looking.

Apparently he was hiding something. :(  Too many little "tells" for the age and mileage. Something was seriously wrong.

caretaker said:
is it a 1500 or 2500, if its the 1500 pass, from your description it sounds like the drivetrain has been working hard. i wonder what happened to take out the tranny and diff? the air is weird

More then likely a broken U-joint.
That would explain both going at the same time.

This world isn said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]He refused me having a mechanic inspection[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Well, that about says it all!  As long as you were going to pay for it and it wasn't going to take the van out of service for a day, what did he have to lose (except pulling a fast one over on you?)...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Good idea to keep looking.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]By the way, PineyCruisin found a nice V6 GM conversion van. I've been looking up the reviews of that motor (4.8 V6) and find that most reviewers (vans and 1500 pickups) find it to do ok.  So maybe consider a V6.  I cannot comment much on the Ford and Dodge V6's, the Dodge is a 3.9 which might be a tad small.  The Ford is a 4.2.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Here's a forum post about it:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/do...vy-4-3l-v6-which-is-best.259276/page-5[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"The 3.9 is a 318 v8 with two cylinders chopped off. It is a long lasting engine with decent torque but the chevy 4.3 should be noticeably more powerful and last just as long. If it were me I'd take the dakota with 3.9 or a full size chevy with 4.3. A full size dodge with the 3.9 is likely to get poor fuel economy empty simply because of the weight and wind resistance of the truck."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]end of quote[/font]

"The ford 4.2 is a great engine for what it is. The main problem with them is the factory intake gasket will crack at the corner and the allow water to slowly enter the cylinder. Its a pain to fix, but if you do it when you first notice your loosing water your fine. I've had 2 of these trucks, water leaked into my number 4 cylinder and when we went to start it one day, boom bent connecting rod. That truck had just over 100K on it. My current truck has over 165K and this past summer it finally started loosing water, replaced the gasket and its good to go again. The 4.2 has a little more power then the 4.3 too. Either way you'll be getting a good truck."

The 4.8  Is a V8 not a V-6.

Alcatraz said:
The 4.8  Is a V8 not a V-6.

yep, I stand corrected. The 4.3 is the "2 cylinders chopped off the 350".  The 4.8 is a very good little V8...

Latest posts