Adjusting car windows at night

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyJ

Reaction score
When sleeping in the car, do you adjust windows before going to sleep and not fiddle with them later? 

My parked Rav4 will not let me adjust windows with the key in ACC position.  Would it be a terrible idea to leave the car in the "ON" position at night so I could roll windows up or down, aside from all the dash lights being on?

do not leave the car in the on position without the engine running. highdesertranger

Don’t sleep in the car with the engine running unless it is a Prius or similar hybrid, even then make sure the exhaust doesn’t enter the passenger compartment.

Jenny, leaving the key "on" will drain your battery. Think out of the box, lower the window to where you think it will accommodate you and  measure the fit for a piece of Lexan, plastic  or thin plywood and while you are at it , make an insert with bug screen in it, get creative with an adjustable insert concept; suction cups, painters tape, Velcro on the frame and Lexan  (not the window) , sandwich two pieces of "something" together over the window with a screw and wing nut, etc. Fabricate something that is "quick to adjust"  and user friendly.

Google "Rav4 vent visors or shades". They will allow you to crack the windows open an inch or so but keep out the rain. Some bugs may still get in but screen can be added.

(sorry, I can't do links on my tablet)

What slow2day said.

I have them over the driver and passenger side front windows. I never close those two windows all the way when I'm inside the van regardless of the weather. Also, when the windows are down an inch or so, passersby can't see it

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of making some sort of window plug that I could cover up if it gets too chilly at night.

I do know not to leave a gas engine running while sleeping (been driving 50+ years), and suspected that leaving the key on "ON" without starting the engine was a bad idea with all the dashlights on.  But I couldn't think of alternatives... I'm not a good "think outside the box" kinda person!  :D

Thanks again!  After way too many months of delay I've learned most of the critical stuff I need to know.  The RAV4 is finally modified with a sleeping platform box where back seats used to be and newly tinted windows, as dark as is legal.  Made reflectix panels and curtains, and bought a privacy tent and a used 3-man tent, along with a host of other critical stuff. 

Tomorrow the solar panel and solar generator (not the right term but easier to say, lol) are supposed to arrive. And this morning at 7am I ran a packing trial to see where everything will go... looks like everything will fit, even my favorite books, heh.

Next Tuesday noon my mobile home will be sold, finally freeing me to head out to CO to visit a friend I haven't seen in 30 years...... and then who knows where, somewhere over there, to camp for as long as I want or am able, though thankfully I'm pretty spry and healthy for my age.

I'm more than ready to go... I'm tired of Florida heat and mugginess. Just not ready to sit down in a rocking chair forever, just yet. :)

Sounds like you're all set JennyJ, and kudos to you for testing everything out first. Don't be surprised at how much your plans change, you'll find the best fit for everything as you travel and try moving things around.

Have you considered using a Kindle type app to replace those books? I love reading an actual book, but I moved over to e-reader apps to save room, and it opens up so many new ideas to investigate in your reading!

Hi Jerry! I only packed a few books that I love to reread yearly, the ones good for reading when I'm tired but not sleepy, but don't want to focus on new material, lol. I tried kindle years ago, but could not get used to it... something about holding a book and turning pages that enriches reading, heh. I do have a kindle-like app on my tablet, might try it again when I get desperate to read new stuff. :)

I've been practicing car-living in my house all these months while spinning my wheels, first sleeping on the cot-sized mattress, then adding a new skill every week so that when I finally go, I'm already doing everything I would be doing on the road. The only thing new will be the actual camping experience, ha!

"I've been practicing car-living in my house all these months while spinning my wheels, first sleeping on the cot-sized mattress, then adding a new skill every week so that when I finally go, I'm already doing everything I would be doing on the road."

This is a great idea. I also try to visualize each step of a procedure when I am not aboard the Wren Tin Tent....keeps me from getting board at meetings :) That way I solve lots of issues and come up with new ideas for the next outing.

JennyJ said:
When sleeping in the car, do you adjust windows before going to sleep and not fiddle with them later? 

My parked Rav4 will not let me adjust windows with the key in ACC position.  Would it be a terrible idea to leave the car in the "ON" position at night so I could roll windows up or down, aside from all the dash lights being on?
Makes you want your knobs back. I love electric windows for travelling with a dog, but would prefer a knob at least on the drivers side. I like to use the cab as a space and not having a window roller makes this inconvenient. So I open the door instead.
-crofter

Just installed rain/wind deflectors on my RAV4. This allows me to leave the windows down a few inches without having to make any adjustments during the night if it rains. I have fans to help with the cross breeze. I figure I will only need a strip of screen to cover each window at the top and can hold that in place with painters tape.

crofter said:
Makes you want your knobs back. I love electric windows for travelling with a dog, but would prefer a knob at least on the drivers side. I like to use the cab as a space and not having a window roller makes this inconvenient. So I open the door instead.
-crofter
Not to give you the wrong idea. I do not sleep with the door open, I have a roof vent that provides enough ventilation, as well as an exhaust vent near the bed in the side wall. These vents are open all the time, and I run a fan when sleeping usually.
-,crofter

Oops did post wrong.  I purchased stretchy black baby window shades for car door.  Keeps bugs out, keeps sun out .  The covering slides over the open door to bottom of the window.  You can open the window , I did about an inch .  No one can tell if the windows are open or not.  Air flows thru but bugs and sun do not.

On amazon look for universal car window shades breathable.  Not the flat ones these slide over the door then you shut the door.

Yes. You’ll run down your battery. Maybe not the first night but after a few nights and then you’ll be stuck. Some cars even with the key in the ignition turns on certain electrical items.

This is what I am getting for my SUV. It utilizes the car door and you can leave your window open as far or little as you like. Its like a tent window. There's a screen and a zip close privacy panel. It could provide quite a bit of shade in the warmer temps and probably isnt any colder than glass (brrrr) in the colder temps. You'd be able to adjust it instead of the windows themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoProduc...KS8GKXH?pageNumber=2&reviewerType=all_reviews

Do your research...one I checked out had the screen on the interior side, but no way to open it...the only zipper was outside on the "tent door" ....so you had to roll up the window or go outside to close the "tent."

Hi GypsyJan. According to my research, with this particular model, you can zip or unzip everything and never have to leave the vehicle. I\'m simply offering an alternative to leaving the ignition on all night to be able to adjust windows, which was the original posters dilema

Well, an update!  I've been on the road for five weeks now, going around to various national forest campgrounds in AZ and NM, and instead of fiddling with windows, I've been opening the door to breathe the crisp, clean mountain air.

Oddly enough, I'm nowhere near as cold in the mountains than I was in much warmer Florida temps.  However, I do shut the door around 3-4 am when the temps take a nosedive into the 20's, heh.