Adding Windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
So I'm telling my family that I really want to do this, because I mostly want it as a back up. Yes I can rely on them for support and everything, but if for example there is a fire at my apartment, I'll have nothing. But with this, I'll  have a home I can fall back to. I'll have a bed, a place to cook, somewhere to shower, money, transportation, and everything I need. So I'm stuck on doing this. But the big reason they are against it is "Because it looks like a pedo van". Although the moment I brought up adding windows to the side of it, the idea of it didn't seem so bad. So because this is going to end up becoming a big place I put my money into anyway, let's add windows! Now I'm doing my own research on how to install them, that isn't the problem. The problem I'm having is, where do I find those black tinted windows that everyone uses? Do you have any places you go for and please I hope it's affordable. Please post any sources you have and any tips you've found when installing them that you would suggest for others. Thank you.

I purchased all of my windows and doors for my Peterbilt Motorhome conversion project from these two places in White Pigeon, MI. They both have thousands of new surplus RV windows in stock:

Johnson Supply
Bontrager's Surplus

Google them to go to their websites.

https://www.trucknvans.com/c-118-van-windows.aspx

Make sure to use actual closed cell foam weather stripping between actual window flange and Van body. Do not rely on only Caulk to seal them.

Also paint the bare metal edges after you cut out the panels.

Depending on the Van you have, and the quality of your cutting, there are people who will buy the metal that you cut out, as there are Van enthusiasts who Despise windows on their Vans, and spend much effort removing the windows and welding in metal panels. Then huge efforts to blend them in properly.

Those people can be found in forum below, and they are a generally friendly bunch, but they do not really get excited about camper vans despite the crossover applications, or the fully nomadic lifestyle you find on this forum. They are car geeks/enthusiasts, but with Vans. Many would be horrified to find you want to cut windows into the former Van style body. They don't really shiv a git about the newer van body styles. In general.

Members there often send the campervanner nomads to this forum, and rightly so IMO.

http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/activetopics/7/1

Actually, that link SW gave you is the perfect place to ask where to get van windows, either new or used.

I was going to suggest that if you couldn't find a source I could go to some of my old vanner friends and ask them for you but SW gave you a public link instead.

What's a pedo van?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
What's a pedo van?

Pedo is short for pedophile.

Here's a definition of a pedophile van from urbandictionary.com:

A large, older van, typically brown or white in color, and often with tinted front windows and no windows in the back. Not all pedophile vans are used for the purpose of luring young children to kidnap with promises of candy or toys, but if somebody were to decide they wanted to do this, a pedophile van would be the perfect vehicle.

Oh yuk, sorry I asked [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk