Adding some roof storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
Thinking about a roof rack over the cab but am not finding anything that mounts directly to the gutter.
The cargo baskets mostly need to be mounted to existing roof rails. I don't have factory rails.
06 GMC Savana Cutaway Van.jpg

I suppose I could buy a pair of the ladder racks that are gutter mounted, and build a basket rack to fit.
06 GMC weather-guard gutter rack.jpg

Or buy a cargo basket and bolt it on. (this pic is a Jeep surco carrier)
surco cargo_basket to roof rack.jpg

What I eventually want is to be able to carry a telescoping ladder, shovel, hatchet and spare stuff that is not frequently used. Total weight should be around 300 lbs.
Best rendition 1.jpg

Is a gutter mount better than a bolt on/bolt through? I want it to be independent of the box.

Attachments

• 06 GMC Savana Cutaway Van.jpg
    06 GMC Savana Cutaway Van.jpg
    125 KB
  • 06 GMC weather-guard gutter rack.jpg
    06 GMC weather-guard gutter rack.jpg
    9.2 KB
  • surco cargo_basket to roof rack.jpg
    surco cargo_basket to roof rack.jpg
    82.5 KB
  • Best rendition 1.jpg
    Best rendition 1.jpg
    24.9 KB
properly done plusnuts more secure than gutter mount

I like Rhino's track system, let's you use their or Yakima's foot mounts, but maybe overkill for you.

You could just cheaply jury-rig some mounts using plusnuts for a cage that fits, but do the rust/waterproofing well.

On my old rig I had a Confer brand rack on the front of my crew cab, as the Four Wheel popup only hung over the back part. It mounted to the gutters, but the mounts didn't bolt to the rack in the places I needed so I ran Unistrut between the mounts and bolted the rack to that. Worked great. Alas, Confer is no longer in business. But I repurposed the rack to the top of a Jeep trailer I used to have and I think I still have the gutter mounts which should work on your van. Then you could still run Unistrut between them and mount a hitch hauler type basket to that? Any chance you or anybody you might run into anytime soon will be going to the Colorado GTG this weekend? I could bring them along. Otherwise send me a PM and I can ship them to you sometime next week. You'd be helping me in a small way to reduce my own clutter. I have a hard time throwing away stuff that may "someday" be useful.

John61CT, I don't know why I haven't seen plusnuts before, always used rivnuts and less than thrilled with them. So good info there and thank you. Yakima foot mount and Rhino track are nice and pricey. And I agree, overkill at this point in my build.

masterplumber, I thank you for your kind offer of the gutter mounts. I picked up a set at a local bone yard so I should be good once I get them cleaned up and painted. It's possible I may need something heavier, don't know yet. I'll be scrounging craigslist for a used hitch carrier next week. I'll know more once I get an idea of the weight.

Oh, and although I'd enjoy Colorado, I'm cooling off in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains this summer. (Only 4500' elevation :cool: ).