Adding a new breaker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
So in reference to my other thread and plugging my main RV plug into the inverter I now have another issue. The main reason for me doing this is to have 110v power to my outlets for my entertainment system and occasionally a microwave.

The issue I have run into is that the converter needs to remain off when the RV is plugged into the inverter, which is fine...except that the converter and my outlets are hooked to the same breaker. This is obviously not going to work.

How easy would it be to add a new breaker to a standard RV panel (there is room for another one) and how do I go about doing it? Is it as simple as switching wires from one breaker to the new breaker and adding a fuse? How easy is it to add a breaker to a panel?

Like every thing. It depends. Most, but not all, breaker boxes, have room to add another breaker. You would just need the same brand. Disconnect all input power. Remove the cover from the box. See how the other breakers mount. Punch out the blank on the cover. Install the same brand breaker into the box the same as the existing breakers. I would have one separate breaker for the converter or charger. Relocate wires from a breaker to the new breaker. You do not use fuses with breakers. The breaker is a "fuse".

Weight said:
Like every thing. It depends. Most, but not all, breaker boxes, have room to add another breaker. You would just need the same brand. Disconnect all input power. Remove the cover from the box. See how the other breakers mount. Punch out the blank on the cover. Install the same brand breaker into the box the same as the existing breakers. I would have one separate breaker for the converter or charger. Relocate wires from a breaker to the new breaker. You do not use fuses with breakers. The breaker is a "fuse".

Okay, thank you. I figured it would be fairly easy to add a new breaker but it's not something I've done before. The panel has slots for two more breakers to be punched out. I'd leave the converter on the current one and add a new one for the outlets. Should I use the same amperage of breaker for the outlets to what it has now?

Breakers protect the wiring.
14 awg wire=15 amp breaker
12 awg wire=20 amp breaker

Also
Although I've seen it done many times , a breaker isn't supposed to have more than one wire attached to it. They loosen to easy.

And while you're in there tighten all the other breakers on the wires going from them and check them at least once a year.
Mobile vibrations have a way of working everything loose=bad connection that will heat up under load....

And to continue my last post 10 awg wire=30amp breaker.. that should be all you will find in a typical rv box.

Bigger wires (like for battery banks) generally use fuses, ​Class T, ANL or MRBF, breakers get expensive at big amps and many take too long to trip.

John61CT said:
Bigger wires (like for battery banks) generally use fuses, Class T, ANL or MRBF, breakers get expensive at big amps and many take too long to trip.

I have fuses in between my battery bank and the inverter (which is also grounded and fused) and between my battery bank and the 12v house system.