Active Shooter Training

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting stuff in that article.  Today at a tire store I was Reading the Dec, 2015 American Rifleman.. There was an interesting article on new training for Security Response Officers in schools to help identify weak points in buildings to severely limit anyone being able to gain access that shouldn't be there.  I believe this was in TN.  It also stated that many schools/systems have different procedures and TN is trying to get some unification in training and procedures. 

There was another article  I found very interesting, if I remember correctly it seemed to say that it could come to pass that here in the USA as happened in Australia people with registered/licensed firearms would be the at the top of the list for weapons confiscation if it comes to Americans no longer being able keep and bear arms.  Even shotguns and hunting rifles used to provide food and protection would not be exempt.  Could cause some folk to think twice about CCP. 

I'm not a very political person, you could say I'm an Ostrich about political matters.  If anyone here has read the "Out Of The Ashes" series by William Johnstone I think the character Ben Raines and the "Rebels" may have a handle on how to deal with certain situations re: weapons confiscation & repetitive & unrepentant  offenders who never seem to pay for the harm they cause others. Especially those targeting weaker victims/groups.

Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it   :D   Jewellann

one school security expert complained that “most middle-school kids can’t decide between chicken nuggets and pizza for lunch; to think that we’re gonna put that liability and responsibility in the hands of a seventh-grader is insane.”

This man would be surprised what a 7th grader can handle when they have to
I recall at least one shop class that I would put money against the shooter surviving the encounter
Anyway, the 'hide and pray' option has failed the moment the shooter enters the room

I must inquire at the local library about 'out of the ashes', I have heard many recomend it

Out of the Ashes *is* a good series. It has some flaws, but it is a good read (for a man, I suspect). I have all of them (something more than 30 books) in ebook.

Yes, the hide-n-pray method adopted by most schools in this country does not work. Many schools do not even have locking doors. Some have doors that only open into the hallway (fire regs?) so they can not even be barricaded/blocked. It is useless to sit still when someone is shooting. It is increasingly difficult to hit your target the MORE IT MOVES, so logic would say to MOVE. For years my son (now graduated) has been instructed by his school to hide, but I instructed him to ignore that advice and get out the first window he could find and haul a$$.

Still, the chance that any of us will be any where NEAR an active shooter situation is lower than being struck by lightening. There are so many zeros after the decimal before an actual number shows up that it is not worth considering any more than in passing. Be prepared, but to dwell on that situation too much might be considered insane behavior.

ArtW said:
one school security expert complained that “most middle-school kids can’t decide between chicken nuggets and pizza for lunch; to think that we’re gonna put that liability and responsibility in the hands of a seventh-grader is insane.”

This man would be surprised what a 7th grader can handle when they have to
I recall at least one shop class that I would put money against the shooter surviving the encounter
Anyway, the 'hide and pray' option has failed the moment the shooter enters the room

I must inquire at the local library about 'out of the ashes', I have heard many recomend it
 Thanks for reminding me about the library, maybe they have some I haven't read.  I buy every used copy I find and I need to organize them.    Jewellann

Van-Tramp said:
Out of the Ashes *is* a good series. It has some flaws, but it is a good read (for a man, I suspect). I have all of them (something more than 30 books) in ebook.

Hey...I started reading  "Out of the Ashes" about 15 yrs. ago, I think.  I'm a delicate {female} southern flower so what's with the {for a man} remark,  ya better watch it 'cuz I swing a mean big ol' purse.    ;)  :D

Jewellann

Van-Tramp said:
...Yes, the hide-n-pray method adopted by most schools in this country does not work....

...It is increasingly difficult to hit your target the MORE IT MOVES, so logic would say to MOVE. For years my son (now graduated) has been instructed by his school to hide, but I instructed him to ignore that advice and get out the first window he could find and haul a$$...

...Still, the chance that any of us will be any where NEAR an active shooter situation is lower than being struck by lightening. There are so many zeros after the decimal before an actual number shows up that it is not worth considering any more than in passing. Be prepared, but to dwell on that situation too much might be considered insane behavior...
This is sound thinking and good advice. 

Personally, I am nauseated by the marketing of this kind of class. People shouldn't be rendered defenseless by government edict. Without such edicts, far more good guys would be armed and such attacks would be unheard of.

The odds are indeed slim that anyone of us will ever find ourselves in such a situation. You can make them even slimmer by avoiding the places where such things happen, which is almost always venues such as schools and theaters that prohibit the carrying of personal small arms. (The first rule of gunfighting is "have a gun" and you don't want to be in violation of that rule if things ever do get sporty.)

The real value of thinking about this at all is that sound defensive principles apply in other areas of life where someone reading this might actually need to defend themselves. I strongly recommend Jeff Cooper's booklet "Principles of Personal Defense". Jeff was the master firearms trainer, but this particular book is entirely philosophical. It is about mindset, and mindset alone.

You shouldn't ever hide unless you are just concealing yourself in order to counter attack. This is particularly important if hiding will only trap you. You should either run AWAY from the attacker, or TOWARD him in counterattack. Very few goblins are mentally prepared for an instantaneous counterattack, so counterattacks are almost always successful even if you are unarmed.

In the statistics, mass shooting fatalities are lumped in with all other acts of terrorism. Those statistics show that an American is actually 55 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist. Obviously, that is a mathematically greater concern but still an extremely low likelihood.

For perspective, I remind you that roughly 75 people died TODAY in car accidents in the US. Several thousand more died TODAY of cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Tomorrow and every coming day, just as many people will gain die of these same boring things. Perhaps we should focus a little more on tobacco use, our crappy diets and getting a little exercise!

cognitive dissonance said:
The odds are indeed slim that anyone of us will ever find ourselves in such a situation. You can make them even slimmer by avoiding the places where such things happen, which is almost always venues such as schools and theaters that prohibit the carrying of personal small arms.

About 10 years ago, we had an active shooter in a mall I lived near, the Hudson Valley Mall in Kingston NY.

If we see more Islamic terrorism in the future, I would expect to see more of these acts in malls and shopping centers.  The psychological shock of hitting malls where no one would ever expect Islamic terrorism, is sure to appeal to our enemies.  I would particularly not be surprised if it happened during Christmas season

The first time I ever heard 'lock down' I was like???? WHAT? WTF? etc etc. I'm thinking (and told my kids) RUN!!!!!

Glad to see what you're all saying. :)

Sadly, my library has no 'ashes' books
Cognitive Dissonance, I am a big fan of Cooper's writings in the various magazines I read, and while I've never read that book (it's on my list now) I pretty much already have that mindset
One of the things that seems to really get inside a goblin's head iss when his target, threatened, 'walks it to him' as we used to say in my old neighborhood(s)
Run, Attack, or hide only to set up an ambush

At my CCW class the instructor gave the following scenario. You are shopping in a mall and are near an exit. You hear gunfire. What is your best response? The answer may sound cowardly, but the answer is leave if your family members are not in danger.
When the Police do arrive, they will not know that you are the good guy. To them you are a danger to be dealt with. If you go after the noise, will you be shooting another concealed carry who is trying to get the bad guy? Will other CCW holders see you and start shooting at you? Will you return their fire?

Others there had the option of getting their concealed permit, but chose to let the Police protect them instead. Abide by their wishes.
Really is impossible to say what one would do. Part of me says get the SOB, part says am I volunteering for misery. The CCW permit was issued so that you could protect yourself and family. It was not issued so that you could protect society. No good deed goes unpunished, and you do not have legal protection under law if your bullet ricochets and kills someone.

I'll give you another example, I got this one from Mas Ayoob when I took one of his classes:

You are driving down the street when you see an attractive woman who has been grabbed by an unkempt street person.  She is struggling, and Yelling HELP! RAPE!.

You stop dead in the street, hop out of your car, and draw your weapon.  The street person throws up his hands, and the woman, rather than thanking you profusely for saving her, takes off running down the street.

Turns out she was a prostitute, drug dealer, or terrorist and the street person you are holding at gunpoint is an undercover police officer or FBI Agent.

You are in a heap of trouble!

What, you thought a prostitute, drug dealer or terrorist would yell DON'T ARREST ME instead of HELP! RAPE! ?

The scariest part is that most of the Active Shooter situations are either HOAXES and/or False Flags. Starting with Sandy Hook.

ArtW: "Sadly, my library has no 'ashes' books"

Ask your librarian about InterLibrary Loans (ILL). Many/most library system participate. It's like having one big library: if your library doesn't have it, another local library may. If none of the local ones have it, they will put an order out for the nearest library that does have it to send it to your library. Then they notify you (phone or email) and tell you it's there, come and get it. I've gotten books from all over the country, plus library storage facilities.

A chL does not give you Magic blanket, Or super powers. I did not get My chl to become a cop or guardian of society
Mind your own bis and only fight(shoot) if you know all the players in the game.
It(A CHL) does not make you the peacekeeper.

Latest posts