Accessing Chase Behind Refrigerator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBeFree

Reaction score
Attached is an image from above my refrigerator in my Coleman CTS192. There is a wood strip from which I removed four screws. My hope was I could remove that strip and the panel behind to get to wires dropped down from the roof refrigerator vent and access DC/AC wiring from the power distribution panel below.

After removing the screws the wood strip was still firmly attached and would not budge. Any suggestions on how to remove that wood strip and the panel behind without damaging the wood?

I want to install AC & DC outlets in this area for a roof mount camera system.

Attachments

• OverFridge.jpg
    OverFridge.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 17
The fridge vent is a chimney, does it get hot? Much glue is often used during manufacture. I would figure on wrecking the panel and replacing it when finished. Are you sure that is the only access you will need. These jobs tend to mushroom on us. How about an electricians snake?

in my experience these and many other campers are not meant to be easily upgradable you will need to break some eggs it's which eggs are easier to mend or the path of least damage.
looks to me like you may be cutting some wood I run into this dilemma and stop and think. Good luck

I usually access that chase from the outside through the vent. highdesertranger

Thanks Weight & wagoneer ,

I'm guessing the chimney does get hot but I've read that many people run wires in through the refrigerator vent.  I was hoping to insert the two outlets on the panel left of the rear panel - see attached image.  My thought is with the rear panel removed I could run wires between the two side panels on the left.

Maybe the best course of action is cutting in an access panel in the rear that could be covered by a blank electrical wall plate and I could place the DC/AC outlets on the rear wall.  I could cut a hole in the access panel and run the camera cables through it.

In this way I'm at least controlling the destruction :)

Attachments

• OverFridgeACDC.png
    OverFridgeACDC.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanks highdesertranger,

Great idea. If the refrigerator vent is bolted down I might try that. I'd prefer cutting from the rear of the panel to minimize the potential for cutting wires.

there should be a upper and lower vent. the lower one is usually a door that you can open. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
there should be a upper and lower vent.  the lower one is usually a door that you can open.  highdesertranger

Yep.  There is definitely an exterior panel a couple feet up on the RV where I can access the rear of the refrigerator.

Thanks!