AC Units on 30 AMP?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
So, we've got a 30 amp rig. Time to use the air units. There are two in here. Thus far, we can't run both units, and the front unit, if used alone clips off if we turn it above even the lowest setting. Any way to be able to turn it up a notch, or should we plan on roasting?  :-/

one or the other should run off of 30A but not both. for both you need 50A. are you saying with the rear one off the front one won't run at all except on the lowest setting? if that's the case the front unit has issues or you have a large voltage drop to it. highdesertranger

Without knowing what your RV is or what kind of A/C units you have, I can tell you that if they're standard roof RV units, you'll only be able to run one on a 30 amp circuit. I had an '85 Airstream 325 motorhome with two units, and the only way to run them both was with the 7.5kw generator running as well. And the rear A/C unit was on a switch... I had my choice of microwave, or A/C unit.

It sounds like your front unit needs servicing, or may be older than your rear unit? A/C units take the most juice when starting the compressor and then the amperage falls off. The older they get, the more juice they seem to take to kick that compressor on.

I kind of figured we'd only be able to use the one unit. It's a 1998 Dolphin made by National. I guess I'll need to fashion a divider to trap most of the air up front when needed, and in reverse when sleeping. We're on shore power in an RV park until June, so we can't run the jenny here, it's against the rules. I was also thinking that the power up front is a bit compromised due to the fact that we also have a 55" TV hooked up, so that may be the reason for the lower voltage on the front unit?  :D  It was 95 degrees here today, and going to get hotter. We just got this rig about 5 weeks ago, so we're still tweaking things in here before we make our "sunbird" 2,069 mile trek to Michigan for the summer.

If you can't run JUST the front AC or rear AC, something is wrong, and the TV isn't it, a TV runs on less electricity than an (incandescent) light bulb

If your site has an extra outlet, you may be able to run a separate cord to one of the air conditioners. They make splitters that get two 30 amp outlets out of a 50 amp one.

It does sound like your front AC may have a problem. Running the fan on high should not cause that much more power use.

Take it in and have the front A/C unit serviced. It's drawing too much amperage trying to kick it's compressor in.