? about my little buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where~the~wind~blows

Reaction score
Last night got chilly, and I cranked my little buddy about 20 minutes into being on high, it shut off and would not turn back on, so I did turn on my stove top and opened a window a&nbsp;smidgen&nbsp;more., woke this morning and it worked fine.... do they over heat? the sensor light wasn't on... so it wasn't an O2 thing I think....<br /><br />total side note McDee's has a new pie out called holiday pie OMGOSH was it ever so good! and only 69&cent;

Bad news, that holiday pie.&nbsp; Very bad news since there are golden arches in all four direction from here.&nbsp; Please let us know what you find out about the heater.<br />Vickie

Holy Cow Wind!!!! Don't ever do that to me again. Holy freaking kelly clarkson I thought you was talking about something else entirely by your title for a sec. Thought I was gonna hafta pull the whole thread.<br /><br />

<span id="post_message_1275619281">Holy Cow Wind!!!! Don't ever do that to me again. Holy freaking kelly clarkson I thought you was talking about something else entirely by your title for a sec. Thought I was gonna hafta pull the whole thread.<br /></span>
<br /><br />Steve, Steve, Steve, when will you learn...it is what goes on in your own head that scares you...well, it scares me too at times, but don't go there bro, don't go there...hahaha

I have the big buddy mr buddy heater. I've had trouble getting it to relight sometimes but usually if I keep trying it will light. I've also had it were the pilot light lights but the burner wont light. I usually wait a minute or 2 and then try again. it usually works. I don't know why.

Hi Howardsells2000, I have trouble with my Mr. Heater lighting with the piezoelectric lighter...but then I have had trouble with every lighter like that on anything it came on...kind of a pain...<br />Bri

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>I've had my big Buddy for several years. I figure it's too big to use now in the camper, even on low, but when I was using it in the house, the pilot would always light easily, but the heater itself didn't wanna light on low. However, if I set it on the medium setting, it would always light right up, then after it started to glow, I'd turn it back down to low, &amp; it was fine.<br /><br /></strong></span>

looks like Im in for a fun time then. I just got mine in the mail.

If you are using the BLACK conversion hose to hook your buddy heater to a bbq bottle be aware the hose material releases an oily substance which WILL PASS THROUGH THE FILTER and begin clogging your heater. The first way this problem manifests is at the pilot light. The residue will sit in low loop portions of the tubing and impede the flow of propane. The pilot will be difficult or impossible to light, and may make a whistling sound and spurt droplets of oil. At this point the heater must be disassembled completely and all tubes cleaned out (brake cleaner and compressed air works good), or sent in for repair, or simply replaced ($80 around here for new one). Mr. Heater offers a GREEN colored conversion hose that does not have this issue. <br />http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F273704-Plasticizer-Free-Portable/dp/B001CFWF5U . I have posted many articles on this site about the buddy heater operation and maintenance. Search under either of my names wheelsoffreedom76 (old account), or wheelsoffreedom1776.

WheelsofFreedom: &nbsp;Is it any black hose, including the hoses actually bearing the Mr. Heater brand? &nbsp;Any idea what the good folks at Mr. Heater have to say about the issue? &nbsp;Thought I would ask before I ping them. &nbsp;&nbsp;

The Mr. Heater branded black hoses have this issue. Other manufacturers I don't know. Mr. Heater has been aware of this issue for quite some time and is the motivation behind their insisting the optional filter be used with the extension/conversion hose and bbq bottle. They are also aware the filter will only slow the process of clogging the heater unit with oil, but will not stop the process. <br /><br />This is from the Mr. Heater website below. <br /><br /><span class="maintext2"><span class="maintext2"><span><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span></strong></span></span></span><h2>New Oil-Free Hose Connection Helps Improve Performance For Propane-Fueled Appliances<br /><br /><span class="formtext2"> Answer:</span></h2><p><strong>Cleveland, OH --- &nbsp;</strong>Mr. Heater Inc. has announced the introduction of a new <em>Buddy Series</em> oil-free hose for connecting its line of Portable Buddy and Big Buddy heaters to 20-lb. propane tanks for long term use. The <em>Buddy Series </em>&nbsp;hose can also be used as a tank connection for small barbeque grills and camping stoves.</p><p>&ldquo;The new <em>Buddy Series</em> hose is made from a new oil-free material that eliminates the build-up of residue that can reduce the flow of propane to the heater over time,&rdquo; states Jeff Haire, Vice President of Hoses, Fittings and Accessories at Mr. Heater. &ldquo;This is a great opportunity for retailers to offer their customers a connection solution that contributes to the longer lasting performance of Mr. Heater&rsquo;s Buddy heaters as well as other small propane appliances.&rdquo;</p><p>The new 10 ft.<em> Buddy Series</em> Hose Connection (Stock number F273704) is available in a clear pegboard-ready plastic clam shell package with a suggested retail price starting at $31.95.</p><p>Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Mr. Heater Inc., a subsidiary of Enerco Group, Inc., is a leading manufacturer of gas-fired portable heating products, propane hose connections, fittings and accessories. For more information contact Jeff Haire at 800-251-0001 or visit www.mrheater.com.</p><span class="maintext2"><span id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_lblFAQ"><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span></strong></span></span>

Also thanks from me wheels. &nbsp;No question the press release sounding language is "marketing speak" for a product deficiency correction.

Reading these "recalls" for a living I have to agree that this is a must have purchase for users of this technology. Have found similar market-lawyer-advisory notices that really are telling you to get it done now.&nbsp;<br /><br />Always read what the new model gives you for benefits, as many times the real reason is to fix the technical issues of the old model of tech.&nbsp;

well my plans for today changed and I ended up, doing so online shopping! dangerous, I know, but I just purchase the hose mentioned above.... but I have a question, I need to get another 1lb&nbsp;conversion&nbsp;connector, it's been so long since I bought the first one, I want to hook the campcheif oven and my little buddy to the same 20lb tank...I purchase a t connector, but I feel confused when looking for the conversion connector, I want the one that converts a 1lb hook up to the 20lb....If somebody can point and tell me, "this is the one you need!" I would be very&nbsp;grateful!...

I am not really sure what you have, so can't respond. &nbsp;A lot of the tee fittings take a 20 lb bulk fitting and break it into two appliance fittings. &nbsp;So the hose from your appliance to the tee should have appliance fittings on both ends. &nbsp;But the hose referred to below takes the appliance fitting and converts it to the 20 lb bulk fitting. &nbsp;I recommend you take the hoses and fittings and the tank to a store that does propane "stuff" and get what you need. &nbsp;Any extra cost will be worth it in terms of getting it done right.