A Secret Neighbor to Obama

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surya

Reaction score
Hello Great Ones!

It is with nervousness and excitement that I introduce myself. A bit of my story.....I am a 50 year young woman with teenage son living an alternative lifestyle on the road. Four years ago we lost a home of a blessing that with lived in rent free for about three years. A friend relocated to South America and left her house on the edge of foreclosure. We got in just in time and were sealed into the process. I renovated the space with all its issues and set up an Urban Temple to create a haven within city dwelling. This would be the nation's capital by the way - an area we've been trying to put behind us for years, but circumstances keep bringing us right back. Frankly, this is not an ideal area to life a comfortable outdoors car residential life, but we have managed to pull it off now for sometime. During our lie on the road, we moved to the Carribean (US territory) and lived there for almost two years. We ran out of money, came back, worked, saved and returned just in time for the cold months.

We have mostly chosen this lifestyle because we are starving for the Earth's natural powers and resources and we reject the wasteful and artificial, enslaved living that most Americans subscribe to. Although we have our difficulties, we are managing but most of all progressing in so many intangible ways.

The most beautiful part of this journey is the deep bonding that my son and I have nurtured and obtained. The loving conversations, the smooth conflict resolutions, the smart solutions, the sudden creative manifestations and so much more makes it easier. This lifestyle has strengthened our relationship and expands our minds and hearts in incredible ways. Somehow, I feel it's a course in natural living and survival that I am giving my male child.  

This is a decided form of healing after we endured so much abuse from biological family. This year in January, we were able to leave a hostile and emotional and mentally violent situation. We managed to escape in the middle of the night. We got in our truck and drove to Asheville, NC with the hope of starting a new life. We lived there for three months. 

During that time I took on a couple of clients and did some housesitting for pay. Asheville gave us the earth love and nurturance we craved. The energy there is so powerful it is capable of magnifying the good and the bad. Energy does not discriminate, it simply exists. Yet, there were many downsides to being in a small southern town known for longstanding segregation. Especially after living in a more integrated and culturally rich part of the US. I could not take it. It is not at all what it seems when you are standing on the outside looking in. It was depressing for us because of the visible segregation; as well, living on the streets is nothing unusual there given so many vets are homeless, while hippies are part of that culture. The whole scenarios just didn't feel right down there. The earth sensations and the virtues there are amazing, gentle, uplifting, yet the natives are greatly divided and not at peace.

I was in agonizing tooth pain and needed to see a Dentist. But there were no affordable care. That which was affordable was unreachable and very limited. So we had to return to the DC area for an emergency dental visit.  We have since remained here with Obama next door. We have itchy feet to leave for the west coast to explore new horizons along the way, especially since it is now almost winter. I am not a winter girl!

I go back and forth with mixed feelings about this alternative lifestyle because of the challenges and the feeling of being alone out here. I desire to keep living alternatively but with greater intentions and the support and connection with community.  Having lived on the road this long, it is quite difficult to be in other people's homes. It is so obvious just how unhealthy and toxic the homes and lives of people are. I begin to develop symptoms, allergic reactions and a rejection of many unloving spaces that I've been through. This makes living on the road and in nature all the more worthy. 

One of the reasons that I am secretive and inconspicuous about this is because I need to protect my child. I am homeschooling/unschooling him. We've been successfully learning on the road for three years now. He is only months away from graduating. What he and I have learned and discovered over this time......a regular, copy cat lifestyle would have never been able to offer. 

By the way, I am a writer. I co-authored an anthology and have written hundreds of wellness and lifestyle articles. Now I am working hard on publishing my first solo book and starting my own publishing company - on the road. It is about 75% completed. I am now in need of help in the last stages.  I believe bartering works quite well with this lifestyle! Right?  ;)

Anyone out there in the area? We would love recommendations for camping grounds in Maryland or Virginia this weekend.

Thank you for allowing me the lengthy introduction. I look forward to connecting with wonderful Ones! :heart:

Love, 
Angel

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Surya!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi, Angel,
and welcome. You have had an unusual progression in mobile living it seems, but good to hear you find the lifestyle to be of value. If you have never been in the western US, it will be a culture shock (but in a very good way for most people).

The very air you breathe in the west is different. Newer mountains, mighty energies.

The only thing you mentioned needing help with that I have knowledge of is self publishing. For my own novels and for some I edited for others in past years, my advice from experience is: Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (and I do the Select program as I believe Bob does for his book).

Amazon's reach and sales numbers are far beyond any competitors (and beyond a combination of many top competitors. I no longer take on projects from others, but there are some designers on this forum (depending on what sort of "finishing" help you need).

Best to you.

Hi Angel,

I realize the weekend has already started, but for future reference I can suggest the D.C. area campgrounds where you can find peace and quiet.

The best option is Prince William Forest Park near Triangle, Virginia. The park is huge and the Oak Ridge Campground is a 10 mile drive from the park entrance. The park also has several hiking trails and the paved road has a bicycle lane. It costs $20 per night. http://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm

A second option is Pohick Bay Regional Park near Lorton, Virginia. In summer I would not recommend this place because it has a waterslide park and a boat launch (generally not good indicators of peace and quiet). But this time of year both are closed and the campground will mostly be empty. The bay itself is walking distance from the campground and has nice views. The rates are between $26 and $45 per night, depending on whether you are an area resident and if you want a campsite with hookups. https://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay/content/camping

There are seven other campgrounds near D.C. that are open all year, but these are the only two that are secluded from outside noise.

Damian

WriterMs said:
Hi, Angel,
and welcome. You have had an unusual progression in mobile living it seems, but good to hear you find the lifestyle to be of value. If you have never been in the western US, it will be a culture shock (but in a very good way for most people).

The very air you breathe in the west is different. Newer mountains, mighty energies.

The only thing you mentioned needing help with that I have knowledge of is self publishing. For my own novels and for some I edited for others in past years, my advice from experience is:  Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (and I do the Select program as I believe Bob does for his book).

Amazon's reach and sales numbers are far beyond any competitors (and beyond a combination of many top competitors. I no longer take on projects from others, but there are some designers on this forum (depending on what sort of "finishing" help you need). 

Best to you.
Hi WriteMs, thank you. So nice to hear from you. I am happy you reinforced Amazon. I am using CreateSpace. A part of Amazin right? Are the the same or separate programs with Amazon? I am not yet clear on that. I've set up CreateSpace but I am still in the layout process, taking one step at a time to avoid being more overwhelmed. 

OMG! As far as the western part of this country.....its spirit calls me and I would like to drive across country to experience the peace, freshness and beauty there. I love the mountain spirit, the ocean essence and more. I totally despise where I am right now. I hope this forum will inspire me more and connect me with wonderful souls along the way. 

I dont it will be too much of a culture shock, I've visited California. I think it will be more like....what the hell was I waiting for!! Lol ?

Hi WriteMs, thank you. So nice to hear from you. I am happy you reinforced Amazon. I am using CreateSpace. A part of Amazin right? Are the the same or separate programs with Amazon? I am not yet clear on that. I've set up CreateSpace but I am still in the layout process, taking one step at a time to avoid being more overwhelmed.

OMG! As far as the western part of this country.....its spirit calls me and I would like to drive across country to experience the peace, freshness and beauty there. I love the mountain spirit, the ocean essence and more. I totally despise where I am right now. I hope this forum will inspire me more and connect me with wonderful souls along the way.

I dont it will be too much of a culture shock, I've visited California. I think it will be more like....what the hell was I waiting for!! Lol ?

Damian Rolling said:
Oh my! Not sure if I am replying in the right space. Newbie symptoms. Lol

thanks for the resources Damian. They are so appreciated. I will look into them. We will hit the road today.  

Whereasabout are you?

Hi Angel,

I realize the weekend has already started, but for future reference I can suggest the D.C. area campgrounds where you can find peace and quiet.

The best option is Prince William Forest Park near Triangle, Virginia. The park is huge and the Oak Ridge Campground is a 10 mile drive from the park entrance. The park also has several hiking trails and the paved road has a bicycle lane. It costs $20 per night. http://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm

A second option is Pohick Bay Regional Park near Lorton, Virginia. In summer I would not recommend this place because it has a waterslide park and a boat launch (generally not good indicators of peace and quiet). But this time of year both are closed and the campground will mostly be empty. The bay itself is walking distance from the campground and has nice views. The rates are between $26 and $45 per night, depending on whether you are an area resident and if you want a campsite with hookups. https://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay/content/camping  

There are seven other campgrounds near D.C. that are open all year, but these are the only two that are secluded from outside noise.

Damian

thanks for the resources Damian. They are so appreciated. I will look into them. We will hit the road today.

Whereasabout are you?

Surya said:

Whereasabout are you?

I’m in Tucson on my way to San Diego. I’m also new to the forum and just posted my intro on 4 November. Last week I started on a full-time tour of North America. I lived in Northern Virginia for a long time and can help if you have questions about the D.C. area. 

Damian

Surya said:

Yes, CreateSpace is owned by and is integrated with Amazon. CreateSpace is the printed book part of Amazon's publishing business.

Virtually all books will sell as digital books many times over what they sell as a printed book. Luckily, when you have your book formatted just right for CreateSpace, there is now a button to click that will automatically translate your book to a Kindle format. The Amazon sales page for your book will show both options -- the digital book that can be instantly downloaded by readers in the Kindle format and the printed paperback book that is printed on demand and mailed to the reader.

So you are well on your way to being published!

Damian Rolling said:
I’m in Tucson on my way to San Diego. I’m also new to the forum and just posted my intro on 4 November. Last week I started on a full-time tour of North America. I lived in Northern Virginia for a long time and can help if you have questions about the D.C. area. 

Damian

Wow! That sounds awesome Damian. How's Tuscon? I want to make it across country as well. I am loosing the fear and raising the trust bar. I need to do some work on my truck to make sure it's in better shape for the long haul. Are you doing this alone?

Are you in a van, rv? Mine is a little GMC Jimmy/Envoy that I convert into a sleeper.

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Surya!  

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

I like your site. Resourceful and encouraging. I look forward to reading more.

I would like to upgrade to a van from my little GMC truck. And I want a dog and cat, is that unreasonable? I'd like a lap dog first and then a bigger one like I am used to when I expand my mobile living space. Any suggestions?

Thanks Cyndi.

Surya said:
Wow! That sounds awesome Damian. How's Tuscon? I want to make it across country as well. I am loosing the fear and raising the trust bar. I need to do some work on my truck to make sure it's in better shape for the long haul. Are you doing this alone?  

Are you in a van, rv? Mine is a little GMC Jimmy/Envoy that I convert into a sleeper.

Yep, just me. I’ve been planning this a long time. I have a Sprinter class B. 

I honestly do not have enough time in Tucson to have an opinion. I will say it gets cooler at night than I was expecting (it’s my first time in Arizona).  

Damian

You are certainly riding in style. Well planned. Unfortunately. I don't have time to plan and wait, time is upon me now.i oils love to get a van and fix her up to accommodate my needs.

What route did you take? And how long have you been on the road?

I’ve only been on the road 11 days. I stayed in Tucson for a few and will push on to San Diego tomorrow to have Thanksgiving with family.

It’s been an uneventful drive. The best parts have been New Mexico and Arizona. The vast open, unspoiled land is the heart of this lifestyle (in my opinion).

Interstates on the East Coast are so congested. Out west there are long stretches with hardly any traffic. And if it is like that on the interstates, I can’t wait to explore the secondary roads.