A new life for me !!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hupomone

Reaction score
hey everyone ,                                                                                                                                                  I must say that I have never been part of a forum , anywhere ever,so..... (be kind ok).  I'm a liitle apprehensive about it. My physical, human life sucks and I am making a change. A change with a new life on the road filled with perserverance, determination and courage!! (Hupomone) A life filled with faith and happiness. I have given notice to my landlord, sold all my belongings and I'm in the process of purchasing the things I will need to make my life as a boondocker easier. It"s really hard for me to ask people for help.....for anything really... but I'm asking you guys. I will live in my truck and use a tent. I am buying the renogy 200 watt mono with mppt controller.I will be running a whynter 62 qt frig plus a 13 in. tv/dvd combo as well as led light and laptop. The frig will run 24/7 and limited use with the tv.What size inverter and battery do I need? What Brand? I'm sure you all may think think I'm silly,but...this is all quite overwhelming for me. Thanks to all, any advice will be appreciated.... I hope....:)    Deborah

Welcome to the forum.

This is easier than you think, just take it one step at a time. When using solar and battery, you want to figure out your daily needs and cover them for a few days in bad weather. You also need to have a alternate means of charging for when the weather messes with you for too long or your needs go past what the solar can provide. You can use your trucks alternator to do it or get a small generator.

The fridge uses a minimal amount of power and run off of 12v, others here can give you and idea. There are also TVs that can be run off of 12v or can be made to do so. Newer ones can use as little as 25w while running. A 300w inverter should easily cover your loads. and top of the line would run you around $200 for a quality PSW unit.

I haven't been reading long here but this appears to be a very "tame" forum compared to others I am a member of. I don't like asking for help either so understand that part but I realized a long time ago that both the person getting help and the person providing the help both feel good about it. And, you'll learn and be helping others on down the road. We also benefit from both positive and negative interactions with others.

So, very exciting for you. I am betting you'll find all the info you need here. We have tent camped but not long term. We stayed for 5 1/2 months in a tent camper, 2 adults, 1 teen, 1 cat and a large dog that didn't like the cat. It was the best 5 1/2 months of our lives! We meant another couple with a teen whose house had been foreclosed on - tax troubles - living in a tent camper and we exchanged a lot of ideas. The tent camper was a lot better than the places we could afford to rent at the time.

You'll get it worked out. Challenge is good mental stimulation. All my best and will be anxious to follow your adventure. Sometimes you just need to scrap your life and start again. Have done it a few times and ready to do it again.

Welcome, Deborah! You just found the finest corner of the internet to get the info you need. Wonderful folks here ready to share what they've learned.

Welcome Deborah. May I ask you a stupid question? If you have a laptop, why do you need a tv? Your laptop will, most likely, play your dvds and cds; and you can get tv for free online.

ramblingvanman said:
Welcome Deborah. May I ask you a stupid question? If you have a laptop, why do you need a tv? Your laptop will, most likely, play your dvds and cds; and you can get tv for free online.

I need a tv because I'm a huge Downton Abbey fan and this Jan. will be its last season on PBS. I will be somewhere " out there " during its seven week run and I really want to watch it.

Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge into living on the road.   I didn't read a description of your Truck and wanted to ask what type of vehicle you are going to begin your journey.  Knowing that may help us to
assist you better.  

Since you are talking about using a tent,  let me suggest a book titled, "The Campers Bible"  by Bill Riviere 

http://www.amazon.com/The-campers-bible-Bill-Riviere/dp/B0007DY2IG

It is affordable and could be a faithful companion to have with you at all times.  I have my Dad's old copy.

I would echo jimindenver's assuring you that this is easier than you think. 

Recently some of the members have been talking about their 2 2 2 system of traveling.  Two hours of driving
in the morning and parked for the day by 2pm.  Then staying  at that place for 2 days to hike, walk, ride a bicycle to take it in.  Then the next day it's time to resume your travels stopping along the way to see points of interest.

You are at the right place to start doing your homework, research, and planning.

eDJ_ said:
Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge into living on the road.   I didn't read a description of your Truck and wanted to ask what type of vehicle you are going to begin your journey.  Knowing that may help us to
assist you better.  

Since you are talking about using a tent,  let me suggest a book titled, "The Campers Bible"  by Bill Riviere 

http://www.amazon.com/The-campers-bible-Bill-Riviere/dp/B0007DY2IG

It is affordable and could be a faithful companion to have with you at all times.  I have my Dad's old copy.

I would echo jimindenver's assuring you that this is easier than you think. 

Recently some of the members have been talking about their 2 2 2 system of traveling.  Two hours of driving
in the morning and parked for the day by 2pm.  Then staying  at that place for 2 days to hike, walk, ride a bicycle to take it in.  Then the next day it's time to resume your travels stopping along the way to see points of interest.

You are at the right place to start doing your homework, research, and planning.

thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely look up the book you suggested. My truck is a 2003 gmc sierra with a fiberglass tonneau cover. It's all I have right now, however, I want to purchase a shell as soon as I can. My budget is limited so I must work with what I have. This is all new for me and I'm just doing what I can when I can. The most important thing for me right now is figuring out my solar to battery to inverter needs. Interesting that you mentioned the 2 2 2 plan. I've never heard of that but plan to do something like that.

Deborah
Welcome , welcome , welcome aboard.

Congratulations on your choice for a new life of freedom on the road.

It's way easier than you might think , we'll be glad to hold your hand and get you on the right track.

There is a LOT of experience and knowledge of the lifestyle here on this forum and I'm sure EVERY question you have will be answered .

Your first choices of gear sound like good ones , the right batteries will become clear as you find out your energy requirements. Maybe start out with a cheap wally world marine to get you started and get your "final" set up as you learn more about what you need.

I have both a laptop and a small (24") tv as I found the laptop screen to be too small for these old eyes , Skuh kuh kuh kuh. Plus many computers now don't come with a disk drive,,,,,,,but wally world has a USB portable disk drive for about $40
Oh yeah , I've noticed that my need for television has decreased more with every year and mostly use it now to watch DVDs !

Tell us more about your truck and where you would like to go in it.

I started out with a tent and a backpack then a bike and a tent then just a pickup truck with a cap and progressed to building my own camper on it. I lived like that for the first 20 years (1981-2001) of my fulltime life on wheels and plan of living the rest of my life on wheels too. (Now in a 23' class C RV).
Yes , it can be addicting , you'll meet many others who thoroughly love it as I do.
I have made more true , lasting friendships in this lifestyle than I ever had from my old life in the "established , approved , normal" life that so many people live without ever experiencing the true freedom of the road.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Deborah! You have chosen a good forum as your first one! :) Don't be afraid to ask for help about anything that you don't understand or just want to know more about. We have a great group of people here.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I understand your financial position.  I've been there too.

One thing I'd suggest is trying to save up your money and as a hobby
look through Craig's List for Pick Up Truck Campers.   Many of these
have telescoping legs so that if you arrive at a camping spot you can
jack the Camper up a little and pull the truck out from under it so
that you could use the truck to go somewhere if you had to. 

Then on return you can back the truck up to slide the camper back into
the bed.  (then lower the 4 legs and secure the Camper to the truck.
The legs can be stowed back in the Camper then. 

Travel-Lite-800-camper.jpg

These can be had reasonably used.   Often Fathers buy these to take their kids
camping and fishing etc and when the kids get older and lose interest....then Dad
sells it just to get rid of it.  Keeping an eye out for deals all the time should become
a method of thinking.  Just like shopping Flea Markets and Yard Sales.

There are all kinds of these Campers.  Some have pop up tops with canvas walls
like a tent so the top doesn't extend too high up in the air and cost gas mileage.

Like these

P2030038.jpg

But there are older ones you could get started with and they can be had quite

reasonable.

P1080751.jpg

I've seen these where the roof leaks in hard rain.  The solution was to get a piece of rubber roofing and
bond it to the roof and lap it over the sides and secure it with strips of sheet metal. 

It will work until you can afford a better one and give you shelter in the meanwhile.

I'm thinking those who watch TV via computer must be urban dwellers and use available wifi?

I have used a mobile hotspot and will again in January, but even the cheapest at $40 for 4GB of data transfer seems like it would cost a fortune to stream TV or movies.

Is there a secret way to do that on the cheap?

WriterMs said:
Is there a secret way to do that on the cheap?

Check out Willy's link above or Amazon search [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]USB TV tuner. This will allow you to receive free over the air broadcasts, like what we all used before cable. If you go this route, I would also suggest procuring a decent antenna and if you have extra power available, get an amplified antenna.[/font] 
kelly

Here is a plan set in .pdf for making a Digital Antenna from MAKE: TV   

A board, some screws, wire coat hangers, and a few simple inexpensive other items
and about anyone can fabricate one of these.  It can save you $50 dollars.

LgeAORLaceNuJ3nu.jpg

http://current.org/files/archive-site/ptv/ptv0821make.pdf

The transformer is a 75 ohm matching transformer that connects to 300 ohm points so that the shielded
75 ohm coax cable can run to the TV or tuner for the Lap Top.  These are common and aren't expensive.
(the flat brown TV antenna cable that has a wire at both sides is 300 ohm cable)  

For those who can connect to WIFI to watch this Video,  it is from MAKE: TV.  The first half of the video
explains it.

This is a link to the DTV Reception map from the FCC

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Enter your address or zip code at the top left box and click GO

On the left side of the page you will see a list of TV Stations.
Click each of these TV Stations and they will show their distance and direction from
you on the Map. 

If you know where you are on the map and have a compass you can determine which
direction to aim your antenna for best reception.  You can also look at that Stations
website to get their program schedule. 

There is also TV websites on the internet where you can get some programming
directly over the internet.  These are best accessed with WIFI at a hot spot such
as Wendy's, Lowe's, etc.

Welcome aboard.To get back to ypur original question,I would recommend a pair or 6v golf cart batteries if you can afford them.Otherwise get a wallyworld 12v deep cycle with a high amp hr rating.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

ramblingvanman said:

" did mention that you can get tv free online.

Here is the link to all 6 seasons "

I don't know if others have the same problems after downloading the above mentioned "Free TV" online program but I'm kicking myself for doing so. I downloaded it yesterday on my mac mini and I'm having a hell of a time since. I have all sorts of pop up adds (some with alarming voice message saying my computer has been infected) It somehow install an app called MacKeeper that can absolutely not be uninstalled, and when I turn off my computer I have to 'force quit' it because something called Mega Back Up ( can't uninstall that either) stop me from simply turn the computer off.

I spend hours yesterday trying to take care of the situation without success. Guess what I'll be doing today?

I'm sure Ramblingvanman did not know of the trap behind this download,

Wish me luck or please let me know if there is a solution to this :huh: :mad: :huh:

Nicole

Can you do a system restore to before the download?

Latest posts