A new life for me !!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One cheap rv living joy I carry with me on the road when I've been on the road in my Van is a Short Wave Radio receiver.   These are very affordable but there are expensive high end models too.  I've seen them for less than  $10 bucks new.  They come in analog and digital tuning.  There are books in the Library and websites that will explain how simple they are to operate.   The programming you can listen to is beyond what most people would ever realize.  (NPR  National Public Radio is the only thing that uses the same format.  You can also pick up VOA  "Voice of America" if you have a SW receiver too)  You can listen to these broadcast on your computer from the website of these stations as well. (without the problems associated with trying to watch free TV on the net)

This is an analog SW receiver

Free-Shipping-NEW-Portable-AM-FM-SW-10-Band-Shortwave-Radio-World-Receiver-.jpg

A digital tuned SW receiver

index7.jpg

They both do the same thing.

Generally the reception is best in the evening hours which comes at the end of most of our daylight activities.
Still there are some morning and daylight broadcast that are quite interesting.  Radio Canada International
has always been worth listening to. 

I would rather have my Short Wave Radio than TV when I on the road anyways. 

As Bruce Springsteen said of TV,  "57 channels (and nothing on)".

Welcome to the forum!  I think you will like it here.  :)

eDJ_ said:
One cheap rv living joy I carry with me on the road when I've been on the road in my Van is a Short Wave Radio receiver.   These are very affordable but there are expensive high end models too.  I've seen them for less than  $10 bucks new.  They come in analog and digital tuning.  There are books in the Library and websites that will explain how simple they are to operate.   The programming you can listen to is beyond what most people would ever realize.  (NPR  National Public Radio is the only thing that uses the same format.  You can also pick up VOA  "Voice of America" if you have a SW receiver too)  You can listen to these broadcast on your computer from the website of these stations as well. (without the problems associated with trying to watch free TV on the net)

This is an analog SW receiver

Free-Shipping-NEW-Portable-AM-FM-SW-10-Band-Shortwave-Radio-World-Receiver-.jpg

A digital tuned SW receiver

index7.jpg

They both do the same thing.

Generally the reception is best in the evening hours which comes at the end of most of our daylight activities.
Still there are some morning and daylight broadcast that are quite interesting.  Radio Canada International
has always been worth listening to. 

I would rather have my Short Wave Radio than TV when I on the road anyways. 

As Bruce Springsteen said of TV,  "57 channels (and nothing on)".

Thanks eDJ, I really don't watch that much TV either, but I do enjoy some PBS programs. I will definitely look into the receiver. Right now I'm trying to get my solar-battery-inverter ducks lined up. I'm really on my own with all of this so it's taking awhile to make decisions. I'm sure it is easy for most people to figure all this out, but, I'm not most people right now. I'll get there....or die trying. :)

jimindenver said:
Can you do a system restore to before the download?

I can do this on my PC but I don't know how to do it on an Apple. So far I was able to uninstalled MacKeeper and MegaBackup but I still have add pop-ups.

Thanks for your suggestion Jim.

Nicole

Yes, we got way off track from your battery needs -- tho you've had one response at least on that. Sorry.

Bob has some article written that you would find helpful. One is basic on having electricity and is at:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/electrical/electricity/

You'll find articles by subject that are from his blogs at the top of this website -- look at the options on the lines underneath the line that starts with "Home."

Also, there are many threads on this forum about a simple electrical setup. You'll find several thread titles to scroll through at:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Electrical-Batteries-Generators-Solar

Just look for threads that mention basic or simple setups. And, you will also likely get some further direct answers here, too.

I am sorry about that. I use no script and ad blocker among other things, been doing that for years. I just assumed that everybody does that now. Also, I never download anything. I just stream the vids I want to watch. I should have remembered what happens when you assume. Sincere apologies for not making sure you know how to protect yourself from the bad apples out there.

ramblingvanman said:
I am sorry about that. I use no script and ad blocker among other things, been doing that for years. I just assumed that everybody does that now. Also, I never download anything. I just stream the vids I want to watch. I should have remembered what happens when you assume. Sincere apologies for not making sure you know how to protect yourself from the bad apples out there.

ramblingvanman

Not to worry all is well. It's me who assumed that Apple had all these blockers already in. No need to apologies, I learned a valuable lesson.

Hupomone, sorry I hijacked your thread.

Nicole

Well,well well, miracles do happen!!! I Finally got the Watts-volts- amps figured out. I wrote everything down with the ancient method of pen and pencil. Then it all made sense ! Now I know what my power needs will be and can begin to build my system. WHEW!!! Anyone want to give me a Gold star? :)

One Gold Star ,,,,in the mail....
I didn't have your name or address to put on the envelope so it might take a while to get to ya ! ;)

No gold star smilies , this is the closest I could find :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Notice you got 4 !

rvpopeye said:
One Gold Star ,,,,in the mail....
I didn't have your name or address to put on the envelope so it might take a while to get to ya ! ;)

No gold star smilies , this is the closest I could find  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:
Notice you got 4 !
 Thankyou rvpopeye, Words can't express how much I've needed a gold star lately,and yet you gave me 4. WOW!! I'm going to put more of that pen and paper to work. It seems to be doing the trick.

ilovemyvan said:
Good for you cleaver One!

:idea:  :idea:  :idea:

Nicole

ok, ok, I am definitely on the right track. A few gold stars and I now believe I can conquer Anything!!! You guys are the BEST!!!

Hmmm... We pretty much did the 2-2-2 thing for 8 nights last week. Worked out nice.
Lyman Lake, AZ - Quemado Lake, NM - Sundial Springs, NM - Roper Lake, AZ, Scottsdale, AZ (Home).
Not exactly 2 hrs of driving evenly, but close enough.

The first step is being not ready. Leap of faith will propell you to being ready or else. My point being strike while the iron is hot and you WILL survive.

For watching TV on the internet this "Wiki how"  site mentions using a pop up stopper in the 3 different ways to watch TV on the net.  

A friend of mine mentioned this to me and he watches all the time,  but says he doesn't download or install
anything.  If the site pops up something he will X it out and continue clicking on what he wants to watch.
Often it plays for him without any downloading or installing. 

It  suggest installing  "Adblock plus 2.6.9" to counter some of these issues. (there are later releases of Adblock plus)

http://www.wikihow.com/Watch-TV-on-Your-Computer

I only watch TV shows on the station's web site and I don't have any of those problems. you usually have to wait a week or two before they become available. highdesertranger

Hupomone, here we go again, hijacking your post on electricity with talks of watching TV on the computer.

Here's what happened when I click on the link, the 'watch now' button didn't work, it kept buffering - little circle that keeps going around and around. The other option was to download their program, which I partially did. I stopped once it asked for my credit card #. At that point I exited but it was too late. My tool bar was changed and a whole bunch of stuff started happening. I have fixed things like this on a PC but this was taking place on my Apple (I'm not a big fan of theirs) I eventually contacted Apple and we took care of the problem and installed everything that I need for further attacks. In the past I had been lead to believe that Apple had all the software needed to make sure things like that didn't take place.

So from now on I'll stick to my $16.00/month and watch Hulu and Netflix as well as CBS. PBS and other network for free. As I said lesson learned.

Nicole

Well, we should probably turn the page on the online TV stuff, but it's enough that we know it can be done
and there can be unpleasant surprises awaiting the unwary.

I'm sure in time someone will create a website with some safe links to view programming. 

It would be nice to know what Apple suggested for software to correct the problems.

Latest posts