A morning rant

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a refreshing rant Ian. The part of just wanting a simple conversation with a convenience store clerk, or a guy fishing, that so resonates.
We're so disconnected, cynical, and yes divide and conquer. Just seems like someone keeps wanting us to hate each other. No middle ground.

I watched a couple of Charles Karault clips on YouTube. One clip showed a man who didn't have a bike as a kid so he fixed up bikes and gave them to kids in the neighborhood. Another was a family in the Mississippi Delta who were sharecroppers chopping cotton who saw all nine of their children graduate college. Modern day saints!

Went into a Taco Bell last night and struck up a conversation with a couple of the employees. One of the kids there was "HUGE!" I'm not talking an out of shape huge either. To break the ice I told him it looks like you need to start working out. He kind of smiled while saying working out is too much work. That's when his coworker chimed in say that he is some kind of record breaking athlete, who's latest feat was pulling an eighteen wheeler with a forty foot trailer on a very slight up hill grade using nothing but his own body strength. I would never have learned that had I not struck up that conversation. He said his next event will be to pull a fire truck at one of the stations. I'm guessing his shirts had to be custom tailored by Omar the Tent maker. Did I mention this kid was huge?
Same night, same Taco Bell, I struck up another conversation with another customer. I started it by simply saying these employees are having too much fun, but good to see it. After a bit more small talk, come to find out we were both old street racers. He was the Ford guy and I was the GM guy. We both seemed to enjoy the conversation very much. :) 
I like talking to people while learning new things.

heh. Interesting that you should mention striking up conversations in Taco Bell. The last time I was there, I ended up talking to the manager. Turns out she is homeless. I gave her some numbers of people renting rooms who don't do credit checks and I also bent her ear about living in a van and stealth camping as an option. It bothers me though that anyone could work a full time job and not be able to afford housing. Well, in her case, it was that she was having trouble with the credit checks and not because she couldn't afford a room. I hope she was able to find something.

I also learned that the reason my order was so messed up was that the company will not raise the wages so she has no choice but to hire kids who tend to get high before work and also that the new TB phone app creates orders on their end which are confusing to the staff. We talked about ways she could make it easier for them and stuff but then i decided to write TB a letter about it with the manager's help since any improvements to the system would have to come from them. Anyways, it was a pretty good conversation and I learned a lot about the inner workings of the local Taco Bell. She got a letter written by a customer filled with suggestions that would make her job easier. win-win

My dad used to tell me "you've never met a stranger" because I will talk to anyone, I enjoy short interesting interactions.

Just had one at the store, I wanted to buy my new great-niece a present since I'm going up to their house for easter weekend, but as I stood there staring at toys I realized I don't have a clue what to get a four month old, so I found someone who looked like a mom and asked her. We had a nice chat and she helped me pick out a really nice stuffed lamb. She misses her kids being babies so I think she enjoyed it as well.

slynne said:
heh. Interesting that you should mention striking up conversations in Taco Bell. The last time I was there, I ended up talking to the manager. Turns out she is homeless. I gave her some numbers of people renting rooms who don't do credit checks and I also bent her ear about living in a van and stealth camping as an option. It bothers me though that anyone could work a full time job and not be able to afford housing.
It's good that you gave her some ideas. As far as working full time while not having a home, I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Yeah, my visit at TB, and ensuing conversations were the highlight of my day. Met some very nice and interesting people that evening. 
My motto in life is to try and make it better for everybody if I can. Somehow that actually made it better for me. :)

Had a conversation with a young guy last evening. He had brought his boat down to go fishing. After he had launched the boat he forgot something in his truck, dragged the boat onto the ramp, but while he was gone it drifted away. He was waiting for his dad to come with his own boat to grab it. Poor kid was so worried about the mood dad would be in when he got there. How I could relate. True, dad looked none too pleased. What a polite young man, though - called me 'sir' throughout the conversation. I'll say one thing for the young people in Texas. All I have met are amazingly polite and respectful. I had this vision that having Massachusetts plates would result in a cold shoulder (as having Texas plates in Mass likely would) but the exact opposite. Considering I'm the strange guy who shows up and lives in their park, I thought there would at least be a sheriff drive by, but it's never happened. People have been very curious about my trip, wanting to see the inside of the trailer, (One guy in Sweetwater called his brother and wife to come down and have a look), another family offerred to babysit Todd if I wanted to go the the rodeo in Abilene, and about everyone wants to know what I thought of their town. I'm always happy to tell them how much I'd enjoyed visiting and thanked them for their hospitality.
Another thing that amazed me in Sweetwater was that the golf course is on the honor system. During the week the pro shop is closed - just grab a cart, put the fee in the box and plug the cart back in when you're done. I don't play, but that must surly be unique.
Nothing but good memories of Texas, that's for sure (except I 10, wind and rattlesnakes of course)

I'm going to make it a new policy to write a thank you letter to city hall in every town where I stay in their park, especially those without a fee.

I have posted this before but I don't know where.
I was in the Navy for 6 years with many races and religions. I worked the waterfront for about 30 years with the same. What I determined is that everyone of your race or religion does not want to be your friend, and not all of a different race or religion wants to be your enemy. The good news is the vast majority of all races and religions are wonderful people. The bad news it can be difficult to figure out who is who.
I don't fully trust anybody for quite a while. I don't know that it would be called distrust, but maybe cautious is the best term.

"I'm going to make it a new policy to write a thank you letter to city hall in every town where I stay in their park, especially those without a fee."
excellent idea Ian. highdesertranger