a Heating pad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella1

Reaction score
I'm reading THE CHIRICAHUA JOURNALS by R.W. Morrow. This time is apparently late 1800's-early 1900's. On page 77, he writes, " ...he (an old Indian) told me he was born in the Chiricahuas...He asked me if I didn't get cold at night, and I told him "yeah...darned near froze. He said, "Well, I'll tell you what to do. Tonight when you camp, and you camp where there is sand, and better where a little wash is. You dig out two to three inches of that sand and you buile a fire with sticks all over it, build a good fire. Let that burn an hour or two and then cover it over with sand. Then you lay down there and put your blanket over you, never get cold.
"So, that night I did that, and it was about daylight before I began to get cold, and it was time to get up and go anyway..."

One other thing he wrote a bit about was muddy water. He wrote to cut up cactus pads and put in it and the mud would settle.

Jeremiah Johnson movie had a scene about the dig a hole heat up rocks cover with dirt. Funny. When I was a kid in the Boy Scouts we tried that cactus in mud hole trick---Fail !

buckwilk said:
Jeremiah Johnson movie had a scene about the dig a hole heat up rocks cover with dirt. Funny. When I was a kid in the Boy Scouts we tried that cactus in mud hole trick---Fail !
not mud hole. A container of water that is not clear. If you put yours in a mud hole, maybe that's why. :p

That's what we called small spots of water in the southwest, because when it rains it washes mud into the catchments and muddies them up. We also tried it in a 5 gal. bucket, no luck. The scoutmaster had collected all these old indian tricks and we would try them out to see if they worked, very few did. I always thought it was because the indians were just playing the white eyes for fools.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

OOOH, I see!
You're talking about the SOUTHWEST !

The Chiricahua Mountains are in  SOUTH EAST Arizona!

THAT'S why it didn't work!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sleeping ON heat is preferable to sleeping UNDER heat. I sleep on a heated mattress pad (yes, I know, "that won't work for Vandwellers" and "that won't work for Boondockers"). It keeps me warmer than sleeping under a heated blanket. I rarely put the thing above the lowest setting. I also think the heated mattress pads use less power than electric blankets.

compassrose said:
Sleeping ON heat is preferable to sleeping UNDER heat. I sleep on a heated mattress pad (yes, I know, "that won't work for Vandwellers" and "that won't work for Boondockers"). It keeps me warmer than sleeping under a heated blanket. I rarely put the thing above the lowest setting. I also think the heated mattress pads use less power than electric blankets.

Wish I could find a good way to do it for boondocking.  A heated mattress pad keeps you from rolling over onto a cold spots too.  Wish I could take ours with us :(

I had this for 2 winters:

http://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Elec...d=1449107326&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+mattress+pad

One could feel the wires but it was not incredibly noticeable or uncomfortable. It took a while to heat up a cold mattress. It was able to draw 6.2 amps though the ciggy plug.

How often it cycled on and off was dependent on the desired setting and the ambient temperature at which the external temp controller resided in.

Generally I'd turn it on ~ 2 hours before bed and climb into a 120f degree bed, and then turn it off. The coldest of nights I would turn it all the way down and it would consume 25 to 35AH in 8 hours. The controller did not make any noise/clicks when it cycled on or off.

Near the end of winter#2, I cut off the ciggy plug and about 5 feet of 18awg, the amp draw increased to ~7 amps, and it heated up much faster, and would use slightly less battery power overnight with the higher voltage it received. Perhaps negated by Peukert.

Not long after this, half the mattress pad quit working. It was the far side, the side which got slept on less, and got less sharp cornered items placed upon it that stayed operational. Am not sure it was related to the higher voltage it received by cutting off the fuseless ciggy plug and extra unneeded wiring and using an Anderson powerpole instead. It could have been a contributing factor to failure, it could have failed regardless of my higher voltage modification. I was not able to discern any obvious failure point in the wires.

I went last winter without a mattress pad, and have not gotten another for this winter and likely will not.

If it is cold lately, I've been bringing my 200 watt Lasko electric heater under the covers for a bit. It does shut itself off if it gets too hot under there and it takes about 10 minutes for it to reset and function again.

A 200 watt heater on my Wagan 400 watt PSW inverter is about a 19 amp load at 12.4v. Luckily any more than about 10 minutes of use, and it is baking hot under the multiple blankets and more run time is not needed . I keep my knees up to form a tent and try to get the heat to the edges of the mattress under the covers. My inverter uses 0.24 amps turned on powering nothing, So unless I get out of a warm bed and turn it off, it will consume 2AH overnight doing nothing..

Obviously care must be used if one brings even a low wattage electric heater under their covers, so I am not recommending this, just stating that I do it and I take care when I do so, mindful of the danger.
I am not one who falls asleep easily. I found it turned itself off only because I had been turning it on and off rather quickly, indulging in a little grid powered heating, and one time it decided to not turn back on. Turning it off and then back on allowed the casing to really heat up and the heating element with no airflow, under the warm covers, obviously caused the thermal safety device to get hot enough to sever the circuit.

I really liked the mattress heating pad when it worked, but it did consume a lot of battery power if left on overnight. If turned off when I climbed into a 120f bed, it had consumed 9 to 14AH to get the bed that hot over 2 to 2.5 hours, and I can't really express how incredibly indulgent it is to climb into such a hot bed on a cold night. If you can easily replace that 9 to 14AH the next day, I highly recommend it, but using it overnight, even on low, that AH consumption could go as high as 50AH which is much harder to replace.

I really suspect that one of the heating wires broke somewhere just from being laid on, or from putting sharp items on my Bed rather than the increased voltage it received. The instructions recommend turning it on while still driving which would effectively have the voltage it received way higher than what my wiring modification allowed.

There were times when I fell asleep with it on High, and woke up completely overheated, and it seemingly took forever for the mattress to cool back down even with covers removed. It was pretty rare that I let it stay on all night long. The dial had a 1 to 7 setting, but it actually would not shut off completely until 0.5 or so on the dial, and I only knew this because I put a Watt meter on it and could see the actual voltage and amp draw and AH consumed.

http://www.amazon.com/GT-Power-Anal...F8&qid=1449109791&sr=8-1&keywords=gtpower+130

It was even more rare that I turned it any higher than 0.5 on the dial when already in bed.

Either way, heating consumes a lot of battery power, and presents some dangers too, but there are solutions to being cold as long as one is aware of the electrical consumption, and those possible dangers.

There are some 120vAC mattress heating pads too. I've no idea of their amp consumption nor performance in comparison, and of course one needs an inverter, and possibly a PSW inverter to power them.

These claim to be low voltage, so likely they transform 120vAC to 12 or perhaps 24vDC, so they would likely be less efficient than a 12v mattress heating pad, but this is conjecture:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Plush-L...49110052&sr=8-2&keywords=mattress+heating+pad

I think I will plug my pad into the Kill-a-watt tonight just to see what it does use.

oh, oh, oh, I have a story about that. so I was out camping with 2 greenhorns a storm had just blown though and we found ourselves stuck ina sandy wash after dark. the wind was blowing and it was cold one of the greenhorns had no sleeping bag but only a few blankets. so we did the indian/mountain man thing with the coals covered them with sand, but the sand was wet from the storm. I told them greenhorns to wait awhile to let the steam evaporate but alas they were freezing and went right to bed. I waited an hour then went to bed. well the night was great everyone stayed nice and warm, however the greenhorn without the sleeping bag had a red blanket that he had against is body. when we got up he was pink, his shirt was pink, his Levis were pink, his tennis shoes were pink, even his skin was pink. it was one of the funniest things I had every seen. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to die. not only was he pink from head to toe but it wouldn't wash out. after a few days it faded on is skin but his clothes were dyed for ever. highdesertranger

compassrose said:
I think I will plug my pad into the Kill-a-watt tonight just to see what it does use.
This is for any one who is curious about what the heated mattress pads draw. Granted not all mattress pads are the same but I have read many posts by RVers who keep track of what their power use is (due to metered electric) and the general conscensus is that the heated mattress pads do have a very low power draw. I have seen a few posts where they ran the things off their batteries (no, I did not know what size battery bank they had) or would turn them on during a generator run shortly before going to bed. The ones who only ran them a short time off the generator were like me. I have a lot of blankets (3 worthless quilts) on my bed plus a 10F Coleman Sleeping bag from Wal-Mart (not one of the 40F slumber bags). My quilts are worthless because they are those store-bought-no-better-than-a bed-spread type. Eventually, they will wear out and get replaced with better blankets. In the meanwhile, they work to keep me warm as they do add more layers to trap the heat.

Dual control pad - both sides on the lowest setting. Last night was cold. The low was 24 at about 7AM and it dropped below freezing at 8PM and below 30F by 9PM. I turned the bed on at 10PM and got up at 8AM (30F). I was only running electric heaters last night so the inside of the bus was 48F at 8AM.
10 hours
0.28 Kwh total used

Sunbeam/Homes
110 -120VAC
360 Watts

I bought mine at Sam's Club
Model # MLU8LQSS00071A7

It is a Queen size on a full mattress. My mattress is a full sized Ozark Trail air mattress with a full sized 3" memory foam topper on top. The Queen heat pad wraps the set a bit but otherwise I have no complaints about it. Finding a dual control on a full size heated mattress pad is very difficult. I started out with dual heated pad because David only wanted his side to be prewarmed and he shut it off once he went to bed. I wanted mine on all night because I kick out and then cover back up all night whereas I was David's heater. I tend to radiate heat yet feel cold myself.

highdesertranger said:
oh,  oh,  oh,  I have a story about that.  so I was out camping with 2 greenhorns a storm had just blown though and we found ourselves stuck ina sandy wash after dark.  the wind was blowing and it was cold one of the greenhorns had no sleeping bag but only a few blankets.  so we did the indian/mountain man thing with the coals covered them with sand,  but the sand was wet from the storm.  I told them greenhorns to wait awhile to let the steam evaporate but alas they were freezing and went right to bed.  I waited an hour then went to bed.  well the night was great everyone stayed nice and warm,  however the greenhorn without the sleeping bag had a red blanket that he had against is body.  when we got up he was pink,  his shirt was pink,  his Levis were pink,  his tennis shoes were pink,  even his skin was pink.   it was one of the funniest things I had every seen.  I laughed so hard I thought I was going to die.  not only was he pink from head to toe but it wouldn't wash out.  after a few days it faded on is skin but his clothes were dyed for ever.  highdesertranger

I'm surprised that same steam/moisture didn't also leave him freezing when the heat died down.

Good story, at any rate.

I need to get a Kill-a-watt! Still on shore power - I've been using a mattress pad heater that a friend recommended which is 12v but has a 110v transformer. The heat stays on for 8 hours at a time. The biggest plus of the model I got was the plush top on it. I don't feel the (tiny) wires nor do I feel hot spots. It's low watt enough that when I get in my chilled skin makes little cold spots until the pad heats up again in that spot. Mine is a twin over a memory foam pad and it makes a great spot to slip into on a chilly night!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHDE0

I've used it for almost a year now and have been wondering if it is feasible to remove the transformer and put in a plug/connectors for 12v?

dhawktx said:
I've used it for almost a year now and have been wondering if it is feasible to remove the transformer and put in a plug/connectors for 12v?

The details on the Amazon listing you provided says only that the 110 volt ac is reduced to "under 25 volts dc".

Somewhere on the wallwart there should be info on the output - volts, amps, and/or watts.  If you could post that info here, someone might be able to answer your question.

Just off the top of my head, if it is really designed for 24 to 25 volts, you may not get very much heat from only 12 volts.

Regards
John

The transformer/wall wart might also be inside the controller. I'm not sure how one would wire it directly to 12v or if it would be effective. One needs a fairly substantial house battery bank to safely power one overnight, so one should have increased charging ability for that larger sized bank as well.

I am anti inverter for most things, but when somebody already owns a 120vac device and wants to use it on battery power..............

There are reports of electric blankets and pads not working properly on MSW inverters, and also many reports that it works just fine.

I can't say.

I do have a more modern back ache style 50 watt heating pad that has the 45 minute timer on it( annoying!) When on 800 watt MSW inverter, I have to turn the inverter off and on before it will restart after those 45 minutes, but on the 400 watt PSW inverter I can just turn the pad off then back on again without turning off the inverter.

I actually do not use that newer timer based pad anymore. i have an older 50 watt one with no timer that resides under my sunshower bag, but it takes about 14 hours to take 60 degree water to 114f. So it mostly gets used when I plug in, or am driving a lot.

I found this guy at a yard sale about five years ago for $5.

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Bea...tor-Heated-Back-Massager/3665865/product.html

L11728273.jpg

It only came with the 110v transformer with a 12-volt 800ma output.

I have been using it strapped to my office chair the last few months and it’s going on the road with me to Florida for the winter. I plan to use it in the cab while driving, in my deluxe folding chair and under my sleeping bag and on top of my Thermarest mattress. It has two massage settings with optional heat.

My last Amazon order included this ciggy lighter adapter to use it via direct 12-volt connection.

When I place my 1982 analog Amprobe around the wire the needle does not move much off zero using the 0-8 amp scale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVZYA20

41VKGCl0JGL.jpg