A great place to get away.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Kiowa National Grasslands, near Mills, NM. If you like the off-the-beaten-path places, quiet, and solitude, this is the place for you. Not another soul for miles, so quiet, not too difficult to get into (did it in my E150). A google search will direct you there. Pack it in, pack it out, no water or services of any kind. Good places to park, though.

The area is located in a stand of juniper and pine trees. Good hiking opportunities, but no established trails -- make your own. I would avoid it during rain, however. Signs of flash flooding and the road in is red dirt that looks like it would be slippery when wet. Probably not the greatest place for MH's, TT's, as the road is narrow, dirt and in places has deep, washed out ruts with big rocks. There is a "detour" around it that previous vehicles have made, which I drove and it wasn't bad.

This is truly a great place to get away from it all. Free, no stay limit. Oh! For those who like their Internet...I have ATT and Verizon. Both were weak signals, on and off, mostly off. Personally, I consider that a plus! A mile or two up the road it's better. Sort of. :)

Thanks for the low-down. Always nice to have a list of good places.

I hate snakes! It is a Lie to say they're more afraid of me than I am of them. It's the only time I've "carried", walking in the desert. I'd rather face the bear than the snake in the grass. Which is why I'm currently traveling around the desert in the spring. Go figure. Just stupid or facing my fears? Or stupidly facing my fears?

When it gets too hot, I'm heading for the high mountains. No poisonous snakes in Colorado!

;-)

Mockturtle,

I meant to say no rattlers at high altitude. However, your post prompted me to do a little research and according to the experts, they can be found in CO up to 9,000 feet, California 11,000 feet. Higher in Mexico. Some say latitude has an effect, but I couldn't find anything published about that, just hearsay from certain herpetologists.

Thank you! Seems the more I learn, the less I know :)