A good place to stealth camp in Washington DC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangfool

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm planning a trip (by van) to Washington DC in the near future, and I'm looking for suggestions as to the best place for overnight parking. Can someone recommend the best/safest Wal-Marts or hospitals for stealth overnighting? Also, what are the cleanest/safest areas of the city, and the areas most to be avoided?

Thanks...

I would expect that paranoia reigns supreme in DC (Homeland security...) so you would need to camp a significant distance away from the center of government.

There is a state park in Clinton MD that is just south of DC. You can stay two weeks there then have to move for one night. Very reasonably priced or was when I stayed there.

I'm sure you could stealth in D.C.....But expect to be interrupted by the LEO there , its a high security tourist Destination....all the riff raff is run to the outskirts of the city because of this....you might want to stay out of the city and day trip it in.....IMHO

The Adams Morgan District is very high crime now. If, you have a decent looking vehicle, you could overnight in Georgetown. Hospitals are your best bet. Providence Hospital is very tolerant and the streets around it have unlimited, unmetered parking. From there, there is a 12 minute walk to the metro and you can access everything. If not, you will not get anything north until you hit Takoma Park and Silver Spring for free, safe parking. Takoma Park has turned into a low-class, seedy area, but around the Adventist University and Hospital is wide open parking if you rotate your vehicle. It is also a 3 block walk from a very small park where ample, clean water is available. If you are willing to pay and want to be in the center of action, there is a o.k. price, well-monitored, open parking lot 3 blocks north of the civic center. Crime is insane anywhere else. Watch your vehicle and lock it. Don't park in Georgetown on Friday or Saturday night. Every other hospital south has very high crime rate, but is safe in the daylight. I would drive out of D.C. and overnight in Northern Virginia or Maryland at night and then use the metro or drive into D.C. for the day if you use any base other then the Providence Hospital area. Remember one tip, no one with money stays in the city at night.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and especially Belinda2. You seem to know your way around, so I'm going to print your reply and take it along. But yes, I was thinking about whether I could leave the city to some safer nearby area for overnighting, so hopefully I'll be safe for a couple of nights.

Dangfool said:
...the areas most to be avoided?

Thanks...
I think the whole place is dangerous and should be avoided! :s

(There's crazy people there and they live in big white houses) :s