"A Florida man...."

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim1521

Reaction score
FNG from Florida here.  Found this site by watching Bob's YouTube videos.  I think they're great.

After much research we purchased a 2016 Grand Design Reflections 313RLTS TT.  Towing it with a 2016 Nissan Titan XD SL diesel w/Cummins 5.0 V8.  Fully loaded we're just within the limits of the truck, but so far it's handling it very well.  We've been towing a 24' pontoon boat for the last few years, but never anything as big as this (40' including cargo carrier on the back of the trailer and 8 ,000 lbs of weight behind the truck).  Never imagined towing a travel trailer when I bought the truck two years ago, but I feel like I got my PhD in trucks/trailers/GCWR/GAWR/GTWR/GVWR/GTFO/AYFKM.  I love the Titan but bought it simply to tow the boat.  When I first started looking at TT, I was concerned that the Titan wasn't going to be able (on paper) to make the GVWR, but as it turns out if I juggle all of the things correctly, I come out meeting all the specs.  It tows great down here in FL, but then again our highest point around is the landfill, so it hasn't had to sweat or strain at all yet.  Looking forward to taking through the Smokey Mountains and Appalachians to see how it does. 

We're approaching the mission to go full time two years from now.  Following the model of the Apollo Moon Shot; we started out with a couple local trips to shake down all the systems on the trailer.  Heading out again this weekend to a local spot for the Labor Day weekend.  For now it'll just be glamping, but will be working up to boondocking.  Our "moon landing mission" will be a trip next year from Ft. Myers, FL up to Manchester, NH and back taking a roundabout route.  After that, doing any final re-fits/tweaks, and then the following year we'll be off like a prom dress to chasing the National Parks circuit.  Just turned 62 last week, so got in on the $10 National Parks Senior Pass just before it expired.  Now as long as I don't expire, we'll be all set.

Welcome!
Good thing you got diesel or else you really wouldn't like your options.

You got that right! Funny, when I bought it I wanted a diesel "just in case" I might get a bigger boat (sounds like a line out of a movie, doesn't it?) never imagining that I'd be here today. If I went with a gasser, I might not have even gotten a TT at all. Fate.....

jim1521 said:
FNG from Florida here.

You realize of course, that by willingly taking on the FNG moniker you also take on the responsibility of Scapegoat. This, of course, means that everything is your fault! (at least until we get a new Scapegoat).

Welcome aboard and thank you for taking the blame for all of our problems! :p

OutdoorFT said:
Welcome!
Good thing you got diesel or else you really wouldn't like your options.

sephson said:
You realize of course, that by willingly taking on the FNG moniker you also take on the responsibility of Scapegoat. This, of course, means that everything is your fault! (at least until we get a new Scapegoat).

Welcome aboard and thank you for taking the blame for all of our problems! :p

Welcome aboard the "Old Farts With A $10 lifetime NP Pass" club!
You're going to Manchester ? Family there ?

Welcome Jim to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Not to rain on the parade; ... but keep in mind that if you're at the upper limits of your truck's tow ability, it may (probably will) wear out faster and need regular maintenance/repairs earlier than it would otherwise. Hope I'm wrong (and I'm sure if I am I will be corrected by those that tow regularly); but that's how it was always explained to me

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Not to rain on the parade; ... but keep in mind that if you're at the upper limits of your truck's tow ability, it may (probably will) wear out faster and need regular maintenance/repairs earlier than it would otherwise.  Hope I'm wrong (and I'm sure if I am I will be corrected by those that tow regularly); but that's how it was always explained to me

Even though I have an F350...im looking for something that won't hit its max (hard when I want a truck camper)...id want something that it can tow and well below its max...guess I can just get an A Liner :D