A cabin in the woods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofisintown

Reaction score
I finally got my cabin in the woods, today.
After months of setting up the lot, traveling thousands of miles back and forth, it is now there.
My future homestead is a dry cabin for now, but is paid , is off grid, and the town with the Walmart  is only 16 miles away.

Tonight I feel relief, because till yesterday, I didn't know if they would be able to perch it up there. :shy:cabin1.jpg

Attachments

• cabin1.jpg
    cabin1.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 57
Congrats. There’s almost nothing better than a cabin in the woods. I like my van in the woods because I can change the temperature without a heater or thermostat. But the forest is the only place I feel at home and I feel spiritually blessed and mentally at peace. The forest is my Ridellan.

My family has had a beautiful place since 1955 in The Tuscarora forest, Perry County PA. Unfortunately since then people have moved into the valley and it’s not a remote little cabin in the woods anymore it’s got full-time neighbors. So when I’m up in the forest I stay at the remote campsites and use the cabin as a place for resources and sometimes park my van there and sleep by the creek.

Gratulation‘s I hope you enjoy the place as much as I enjoy mine.

Thank you Nature Lover! I only have one neighbor, older woman like me, 4 lots down the dirt road. There are others too, about one house or less on each block.
Most are off grid, and they are really nice fellows, friendly and helpful if I need any help.

Mild winters and hot summers, but the forest cools the days down a bit.
The leaves have started turning now, and it is sooo beautiful and peaceful up there.

Don't forget to build an underground cache space, with access thru a trap door.  That dirt looks stable enough for a shallow cache  made with wood or sticks that you could chink later.

Have fun!
-crofter

The dirt is good (for planting tomatoes, I guess), but I really don't have anything valuable enough to hide under a trap door. Maybe if HDR hadn't left us so early....

Sofisintown said:
The dirt is good (for planting tomatoes, I guess), but I really don't have anything valuable...
The underground storage is colder so free refrigeration. They used to be called root cellars and were used to store carrots, potaties, beets, etc.
-crofter

WOW THAT IS JUST GREAT

Love the color and it is perched so nice and I know you are thrilled....very happy for you!

16 miles to wally world is good also, you seem very secluded and have privacy yet you know what you need for survival is 'not that darn far' away............looks like you did so darn great to me! Enjoy making it your homestead and HOME!!

I think a lot of folks are looking at doing this, hopefully we'll have quite a few good 'neighborhoods' to consider over the next few years. Keep your privacy in the community a bit, but not too much - such as with potential good neighbors.

There is still a lot of land in non-restricted areas for very cheap money.

The people who flock in these areas are of similar mindset. They want their independence, low taxes, no HOA's to regulate the daylights out of them, and to be left alone and enjoy nature.
With that come some difficulties to overcome. Electricity, if you want to connect will be costly. Water is either well, or a water catchment system. You have to deal with your own sewage, so outhouses abound, and septic installations are popular too.

Internet is available in this specific area from local provider for about $50 a month, not the fastest speeds though.
There is post office service daily, but Amazon deliveries etc may take 3-5 extra days, prime or not.
Most people use wood stoves for heating, as wood is abundant and free (BYO chainsaw)

Most cabins/huts have porches for shade, with solar panels on top for electricity, and a generator at the back for low sun days.
There is a system of neighborhood watch that I won't discuss, but virtually nothing goes unnoticed. I met the majority of the neighbors the first two hours I was there.

The cabin in the woods is the base you can travel out from, and know that your stuff is safe while you are gone, and retreat back to when the situation gets hairy out in the world, because of Covid, fires and whatever disaster comes down the road.

It gives you an address, that you don't have to 'rent' per month, and if you set it up to produce electricity and source water and heat, the cost will be (in my case) under $70 a month-includes internet.
Being self-reliant to a large degree does take some work, but it is priceless.

Congratulations, it is wonderful!!!!!

People have been setting up cabins in the woods through out history and will keep right on doing it. The reason is obvious, it is a lovely life, beautiful surroundings and a snug lttle haven in the beautiful surroundings.

I love being in one with a fire in a woodstove on this chilly evening. Big fan of a good airtight woodstove, I have put them in 3 of my previous houses I owned.

Tonight I am in the woods in a snug little travel trailer but with a diesel fueled stove for warmth. Not quite the same as a lovelt crackling wood fire with flames to watch, but close enough for now. But perhaps someday a tiny cabin in the woods.

Thank you guys for your kind words, and Ken, it is in AR, in the Ozarks.
There's a lot to be done yet, but as my neighbor said, "Rome was not build in one day".

Oh you just missed Bikes Blues and Bar-B-Que Rally in Fayetteville....

Lots of bikes riding the Pig Trail and other winding roads in that area in September...well, all summer really. 

Have fun! 

:thumbsup: