92 ford falcon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara

Reaction score
I need some direction from the mechanically smart peoples.

How bad an idea is it to have a diesel in Alaska?
How bad is the gas mileage gonna be?
How many miles can I get out of this thing? Common issues?

I know I "could" convert it to wvo, but from my last conversion I learned not to try that again. Also, cold.

Whaddya folks think?

Hi Tara....<br><br>I am thinking that as the price of fuel sky rockets that unless you are going to be doing mega miles, are planning a multi country trip in places where there is more diesel than gasoline, or going to be towing a lot of weight, that it is not a smart buy these days. <br><br>Diesel is much higher than gas and you have to put some miles under you before all the extra expense works out in your favor....and hope like hell you don't break down with a diesel.<br><br>In Alaska it is fine to have a diesel as long as you keep it up and have good glow plugs and are on the grid to keep it plugged in at night.<br><br>So much depends on your plans and what you need out of the rig....<br><br>I like them and have often thought it woul be good to have a diesel engine...primarily in the two buses I have owned...but am now glad I have gasoline engines and small ones at that...JMO and YMMV..<br>Good luck,<br>Bri<br><br>

Thanks for your smartness! &nbsp;No grid here, and ain't got no plan. &nbsp;Heh.<div><br></div><div>I think the perfect thing would be a low mileage astro (if they existed) that I could cut the top out of and put one of those pop up beds in. &nbsp;There's plenty of room in an Astro if it's not all taken up by the bed, and plus then I'd have plenty of room for hauling things and stuff...&nbsp;</div>

<br><div>Holy shit, there's identical astro/safari's on craigslist right now, both with 100k miles, buy them together for $5750! &nbsp;I wish it would rain money.</div>