6x10 v-nose trailer layout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
had time on my hands this afternoon so mocked up what i would want in a v-nose utility trailer. did not print background grid, but is to scale.
just not thrilled with compost toilet under bed.
working on another layout with bed in front but not thrilled with it yet.  this may change my mind about a tab...hmmmmm

Attachments

• tav-layout1.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 44
tav-2020 said:
had time on my hands this afternoon so mocked up what i would want in a v-nose utility trailer. did not print background grid, but is to scale.
Howdy,
I'm assuming that you are thinking about a single axle trailer. If so, it looks to me like you've got too much weight (water and Batteries) ahead of the axle and all on the drivers side. Keeping the weight you add balanced will make for a much safer tow. How big of a water tank do you have in mind?

Below is a link to my build. I made a few trips to the truck scale to keep the weights as even as possible.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=25674

Have fun!

Vern

thanks for the link to your build, Vern! i love all of the wood you used inside  :) Very nice!

i thought the weight might be an issue, could probably work the batteries across the front v, and move fridge over towards the passenger side, if this becomes a real plan. was just playing around with size to see what I could come up with.

tav-2020 said:
just not thrilled with compost toilet under bed.
working on another layout with bed in front but not thrilled with it yet.  this may change my mind about a tab...hmmmmm

You have water tanks and batteries side by side on the driver side front of the trailer.  Are you considering balancing the weight in the trailer and putting the heaviest weight over the axles instead of the tongue or tail?

I'm finding that to be the most frustrating part of my current cargo build, trying to get all that right among all the stuff we are putting and building into it.

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
You have water tanks and batteries side by side on the driver side front of the trailer.  Are you considering balancing the weight in the trailer and putting the heaviest weight over the axles instead of the tongue or tail?

Yes, I am now thinking if I go this route I would do a slide out table from under the mattress, move the batteries over to where the fold up table was (in a low box of some kind) then I could slide the water tank back some on the drivers side to distribute weight over wheels better and leave a space there to slide out a composting toilet...would def have to have somebody more savy with weights and balances go over it to more carefully install everything.

But I am still liking this layout over anything else I have come up with so far.
Unless I win the lottery. Then I will buy whatever I want :D

We could not be happier with our choice to design our own. There is no way anyone would have insulated like we did. And everything is built around what we want to carry.

I'm still taping up the insulation seams and we have a few more panels to do but the wall boards should be going back up by the end of next week. We our windows at an RV salvage yard. We went with the old style sluminum because we have a lot of metal decor inside.

We looked for 4 years at trailers and it always came down to we could do it better and bring more stuff if we did our own.

As for weight it's pretty important when it comes to trailer sway. It's a PITA to learn what weight you are putting in there and how it's disributed but good to figure out and be safe.

Start with water. It weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon. So figure out what a full 10 gallon, 20, etc. tank weighs and know what your tailer can support as well as the tow limits of your vehicle. Just cause it fits doesn't mean you can take it. You might want 4 batteries but the trailer weight may only support 2.