6 months into van life and winter is here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrknmannavn

Reaction score
Greetings fellow dwellers and nomads. Well I am now 6 months into my full time van living journey and winter is now here. Im in montana and winter here can get colder then cold. I’ve prepared myself for this by purchasing and installing a chinese diesel heater. I also have a mr buddy as a back up. So far the temperatures have only been in the teens and twenties with below zero a couple times. I have to say I love my diesel heater!!! I love it so much I bought a second as a replacement if and when this one fails. I paid $120 for it. So far I’m averaging around $8 a week to fuel it. Here is a photo of how I installed it. Some may disagree with my install idea and that’s ok. To each their own. Well that’s it for now. Everyone take care out there and merry Xmas and happy holidays 🙂55EEC920-81BF-4941-9F15-1CB7532B69A5.jpeg

Welcome.
Glad you're staying nice and toasty in those chilly temps.
The diesel heaters are a great boon to those of us who need safe and dry heat.

My only concern with your setup would be the intake and exhaust hoses. If they terminate at the sheetmetal or just below, without extensions, it will pull the exhaust back into the intake, nasty gasses included.
Might I suggest that if they terminate at the same place that you might look into extensions and route them to opposite sides of the van.

Be well and safe travels.

Welcome.
Glad you're staying nice and toasty in those chilly temps.
The diesel heaters are a great boon to those of us who need safe and dry heat.

My only concern with your setup would be the intake and exhaust hoses. If they terminate at the sheetmetal or just below, without extensions, it will pull the exhaust back into the intake, nasty gasses included.
Might I suggest that if they terminate at the same place that you might look into extensions and route them to opposite sides of the van.

Be well and safe travels.
I have them extended under the van😉

Love my diesel heater too. It's been running continuously for the past several days and nights. Is that a cloth over the air intake? May be a bit restrictive.