5 months until lease is up, and I have a ton of questions.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2002 Freightliner Sprinter (Leisure Travel conversion) and love it. (Freightliner, Dodge-they are all built by Mercedes). I get 21 mpg and it stays fully loaded, ready to go at approximately 7,300 lbs. I love it because of the space, gas mileage is good (for an RV), and the engine can last several hundred thousands of miles. I have seen several at one million miles just getting their engines replaced.

Since you are experienced with tools, you can probably maintain your own. Sprinter-source.com forum has an extensive repair database supplied by sprinter owners/master technicians who take pictures while they are repairing their vehicles. While I cannot do that kind of work, I have learned enough to have intelligent discussions with mechanics about repairs needed. I have also been able to weed out repair shops that I will not return to again. There is also information about regional repair shops available.

I'm not advocating that you buy a Sprinter. Just wanted to let you know where you can find some information about them that will help you decide about one.

Good luck on your search!:)

Bela said:
I have a 2002 Freightliner Sprinter (Leisure Travel conversion) and love it. (Freightliner, Dodge-they are all built by Mercedes). I get 21 mpg and it stays fully loaded, ready to go at approximately 7,300 lbs. I love it because of the space, gas mileage is good (for an RV), and the engine can last several hundred thousands of miles. I have seen several at one million miles just getting their engines replaced.

Since you are experienced with tools, you can probably maintain your own. Sprinter-source.com forum has an extensive repair database supplied by sprinter owners/master technicians who take pictures while they are repairing their vehicles. While I cannot do that kind of work, I have learned enough to have intelligent discussions with mechanics about repairs needed. I have also been able to weed out repair shops that I will not return to again. There is also information about regional repair shops available.

I'm not advocating that you buy a Sprinter. Just wanted to let you know where you can find some information about them that will help you decide about one.

Good luck on your search!:)

That is really encouraging to hear. I had already looked into the reliability of the new sprinters around the 2007 model year, and did see a fair mention of problems being reported. However most of which were not with the the engine, which is one of the main reasons I like the sprinter. Those diesel engines seem to last forever and get great mileage.

I'm definitely leaning towards a Dodge sprinter in the range of 04-08 with no more than 150k miles. I don't know what kind of monthly payment I would find myself dealing with though because a vehicle like that is going to run around 16k I think. Which is fine because I work full time, but the idea is still to reduce monthly spending as things like rent and interest as much as possible so it's something I need to consider carefully.

I tend to go all out when I decide to do something, and it seems like if I'm to really take this seriously, the Sprinter will fit what I need the best.

I also have college loans (AAARGGHH!!!!!) and some revolving credit debt. I also got sick of just treading water in an area with a *HIGH* cost of living. So I bought my van, prepped it, modded the interior, serviced the mechanicals, and moved out of my house with only the bare essentials in 60 days. I'm two and a half months in now and when I first decided to live in a van, I thought about financing a used diesel Sprinter, but then I realized:

"Why on Earth do I want to go further into debt financing a $15K dollar van in order to get out of debt?

That was just not adding up in my head. So I bought an $800 1989 Dodge van with 92K on it and invested a couple hundred on it, and away I went.. Paid for and got!

One of the most important lessons I've learnt so far is how little I actually need to live and do alright by myself.

steamjam1 said:
I also have college loans (AAARGGHH!!!!!) and some revolving credit debt. I also got sick of just treading water in an area with a *HIGH* cost of living. So I bought my van, prepped it, modded the interior, serviced the mechanicals, and moved out of my house with only the bare essentials in 60 days. I'm two and a half months in now and when I first decided to live in a van, I thought about financing a used diesel Sprinter, but then I realized:

"Why on Earth do I want to go further into debt financing a $15K dollar van in order to get out of debt?

That was just not adding up in my head. So I bought an $800 1989 Dodge van with 92K on it and invested a couple hundred on it, and away I went.. Paid for and got!

One of the most important lessons I've learnt so far is how little I actually need to live and do alright by myself.

Trust me, I'm grappling with this same thing in my head currently. I need a van that can reliably get me to work every day, and something I can take long distances on the weekend (burning man, mardi gras, state parks, fishing trips, ect). If an older vehicle like yours can do that and still get decent mileage then I should consider it, absolutely.

Reliability is going to scare me no matter what I get though. If my car breaks down now, it's no big deal I'll just bum a ride from my boss while its getting worked on. Not sure how I'll feel if my home breaks down on me though :/

We all have our weaknesses, but one of my strengths is understanding myself and my weaknesses. I mentioned I tend to go all out on things in a prior post, well part of that is knowing I need the motivation to continue doing something sometimes or else I might fall back into my comfort zone.

If I buy a beat up van and put a couple hundred bucks into it, I might honestly bail on the project before it really gets rolling due to having so little invested.

Now I know that immediately people tend to think, "well this isn't a decision you should feel like you're forcing yourself into. You should simply WANT to do it." Well I do want to do it, but I'm still a kid in a lot of respects, and although I consider myself almost entirely dependent, this certainly seems like a decision that if made, needs to not have an easy out. At least not in the beginning.

If this doesn't make sense please call me out on it. Just about the only person who can manipulate me anymore is myself. Forums are great for getting honest feedback and realizing the error in your thinking.

Once again I appreciate the dialogue you guys are having with me, this is really an interesting place with some cool people doing a really neat thing with their lives. If I never even go through with this, I think I might still frequent the forum just to read the stories and look at the amazing conversions.

akrvbob said:
A very good friend of mine wrote a post for my blog about who should buy a Sprinter. You can read it here:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/is-a-sprinter-the-right-van-for-you/

He gives advice you can bet your life on!
Bob

Bob thank you very much for the article, and I think it confirmed what I had already suspected.

Something like in the following link is what I'm considering. https://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2005_dodge_sprinter+2500_224599646_8

The article mentions that sprinters are good for people traveling more than 10k miles a year due to the economy of the vehicle. The fuel savings might offset some of the other issues the vehicle has.

I seem to think I would be doing a poor job at this lifestyle change of mine if I'm not easily passing 10k miles in a year. Why save money if you can't turn around and use it on the important things in life like creating experiences? How do I plan on creating more experiences for myself.. you guessed it, ROAD TRIP!

I'm getting tunnel vision though, I need to keep watching craigslist to get a grasp on how cheaply alternative vans can be had for.

Bob-That was a good article about Sprinters and the resources like Doktor A and Sprinter-source.com are a must for sprinter owners in my opinion. Doktor A is an expert on Sprinters and will give repair advice over the phone.

Solution: I would encourage you to go on the Sprinter forum and search for tips for buying used Sprinters. Those are invaluable, such as looking under the injection cover for leaking injectors. That way if you find something you are really interested in, you will know what to look for before spending your money. I guess that can also go for any van you are looking at, but Sprinters that have been used for delivery such as FedEx and hot shot deliveries have been driven hard. Sprinters don't like to idle much so anything driven strictly around town may not be good. One with highway miles is the best.

Again, not trying to steer you to a Sprinter; you already sound like you are leaning that way. The people on this forum have some really nice set-ups and I always enjoy seeing pictures of their vans and craftsmanship. And they seem to know how to get the most bang for their bucks!

I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this plan of mine, but I do find it very funny that while driving around town I now find myself paying very close attention to all the cargo vans I see daily and the viability of each one.

It's no longer, oohhh look at the nice Ferrari, but instead I'm thinking how sexy that high top is on that van :)

solution said:
It's no longer, oohhh look at the nice Ferrari, but instead I'm thinking how sexy that high top is on that van :)

oh man. i see some sexy vans out there.

i was actually curious as to what sort of insulation is necessary to deal with that texas heat. i'm a couple months out from buying my van and see a lot of cold weather info...not so much hot, but thats what im on here looking for!

beastmancaravan said:
oh man. i see some sexy vans out there.

i was actually curious as to what sort of insulation is necessary to deal with that texas heat. i'm a couple months out from buying my van and see a lot of cold weather info...not so much hot, but thats what im on here looking for!

The Texas summer is one of my primary concerns. Might just have to do what bob said and either post an ad for a cheap hook up from someone, or bite the bullet for 4 months and drop anchor at an rv park.

We shall see.

solution said:
The Texas summer is one of my primary concerns. Might just have to do what bob said and either post an ad for a cheap hook up from someone, or bite the bullet for 4 months and drop anchor at an rv park.

We shall see.

I'm thinking being able to open all the doors with mosquito netting enclosing everything and running fans off a solar-powered battery bank.

but that only works out in the middle of nowhere, not for stealth.

steamjam1 said:

One of the most important lessons I've learned so far is how little I actually need to live and do alright by myself.

Greetings!

I totally agree, and I always advise people to buy a vehicle that they can pay cash for and own outright. Sure, maybe it won't be your dream vehicle, but if it will work until you can save up enough cash to buy that dream vehicle, then you will be saving a ton of money in the long run.

Any time you buy something on credit, you will be paying up to 3 times or more of the original price by the time you get it paid off. By keeping those interest payments in your own pocket instead of theirs, you will probably be able to afford that dream vehicle in a fraction of the time.

I don't think the age of the van has anything to do with the reliability of the van, and the amount of money you save by buying an older van could actually save you money in the long run.

There's an old saying that goes something like "When you buy a used vehicle, you're buying somebody else's problems.". Well new or used, you need to be prepared to fix problems. The newer a rig is, usually the more it's going to cost you to repair, and the less likely you're going to be able to do that work yourself.

My van's over 30 years old, and I trust it to drive cross country all the time. A friend has a 1969 Econoline with over a million miles on it, and just like mine, it's as reliable as they come. Age isn't nearly as important as proper maintenance and repairs. That's the key to reliability, and without it, even a one year old van could leave you stranded.

If you can't trust your own judgement on getting a new van, then take it to a mechanic before you buy it. If the mechanic gives it a clean bill of health, you probably have a good reliable vehicle. If it needs repairs, get an estimate and add that to the cost of the vehicle and get them done immediately if they're urgent repairs. Use any needed repairs as a bargaining chip to lower your purchase price.

If they want $800 for the van, and you have an estimate for $300 worth of repairs, show that to the seller, and offer them $500 for the van. If they won't lower the price, then it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

The beauty of this scenario, is if you buy and fix it, you'll know exactly what you have.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

solution said:

We shall see.

Greetings!

I know my opinion on this might not be a popular one, but I don't believe in extra insulation. I think the greenhouse effect, both summer and winter will actually save you money in the long run. Without insulation, in the winter, if it is above freezing and sunny, I can keep my van interior in the 70's with no heat on at all.

My advice is to have adequate off grid heating and cooling systems to keep you comfortable in any weather, even with no insulation.

Non Evaporative Swamp Coolers can either be home made or store bought in a 12v configuration. They use relatively little power. I can run my entire van for 2 days on a single deep cycle RV battery with the swamp cooler on the full 48 hours straight. I can run it for about a week without the swamp cooler on. And my RV battery is an el cheapo from a battery exchange joint ($20), and they're usually good for at least 2 or 3 years.

Here's a link to a commercial one, and I can supply you with directions for a home made one if you like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoCool-12V-...oner-For-Camping-Tent-RV-Camper-/121253526191

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

This might work some places but where I'm at they'd find you frozen like a popsicle by Jan 1st. The first time it dropped below 0 if you weren't dead already you'd wish you were. Just sayin'!

The CamperVan_Man said:
Greetings!

I know my opinion on this might not be a popular one, but I don't believe in extra insulation. I think the greenhouse effect, both summer and winter will actually save you money in the long run. Without insulation, in the winter, if it is above freezing and sunny, I can keep my van interior in the 70's with no heat on at all.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Reliability was foremost (and still is) on my mind when I bought my van. I drive mine to work everyday and once in a while I'll take off to >insert destination here< just for the heck of it. After alot of thought and careful research, along with my own experiences fixing cars and trucks I came to the conclusion that there is NO van in the world that will be totally reliable unless you never drive it, so you have to do some risk management.

solution said:
Trust me, I'm grappling with this same thing in my head currently. I need a van that can reliably get me to work every day, and something I can take long distances on the weekend (burning man, mardi gras, state parks, fishing trips, ect). If an older vehicle like yours can do that and still get decent mileage then I should consider it, absolutely.

Reliability is going to scare me no matter what I get though. If my car breaks down now, it's no big deal I'll just bum a ride from my boss while its getting worked on. Not sure how I'll feel if my home breaks down on me though :/

We all have our weaknesses, but one of my strengths is understanding myself and my weaknesses. I mentioned I tend to go all out on things in a prior post, well part of that is knowing I need the motivation to continue doing something sometimes or else I might fall back into my comfort zone.

If I buy a beat up van and put a couple hundred bucks into it, I might honestly bail on the project before it really gets rolling due to having so little invested.

Simran said:
This might work some places but where I'm at they'd find you frozen like a popsicle by Jan 1st. The first time it dropped below 0 if you weren't dead already you'd wish you were. Just sayin'!

Greetings!

I didn't say I didn't have heat... I said that you should have sufficient heating and cooling to handle a van with no insulation, and that I think no insulation can have it's advantages.

Greenhouses have heaters too, and cooling, sometimes even air conditioning. I have a total of probably about 60k BTU heating if I turned everything up full blast.

I spent last month in Alaska at -60f much of time, and my 23k BTU heater was more than sufficient for keeping me nice and warm and toasty.

The idea of using the greenhouse effect for heating/cooling, simply means that whenever possible you are using Mother Nature as your fuel source and/or using her to supplement your use of fuel. Insulation inhibits the greenhouse effect of both heating and cooling. That's why you'll never see an insulated greenhouse even in the dead of winter, they are still either a glass house, or simply covered with a clear plastic tarp.

I enjoy taking full advantage of what Mother Nature offers when it is to my advantage. When Mother Nature isn't being helpful, then it's time to crank up my heat or AC to keep me comfortable.

Hope this explains it better.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

I bow to your long time experience, but I lived in Alaska for over 40 years and in a van for 6 years in Anchorage, Ak and -30 F was routine and the idea of trying to do it without insulation is beyond my comprehension.

Every vehicle I've lived in has been very well insulated and is something I recommend to everybody if for no other reason to drastically reduce your costs of heating.

There is a negative to insulation in that once the heat gets inside in the summer, the insulation makes it cool off slower. But by opening up the van and running a fan that problem can be overcome.
Bob

The CamperVan_Man said:
Greetings!

My advice is to have adequate off grid heating and cooling systems to keep you comfortable in any weather, even with no insulation.

The CamperVan_Man

In Missouri the Amish insulate the greenhouses in the winter with heavy black plastic leaving just a strip on the top open for light to come in if they want to keep the plants alive. The best ones I have seen had compost pits and wood stoves. Not really a valid comparison between living quarters and a greenhouse.

But your post does not make any logical sense. The greenhouse effect was talking about the massive amounts of pollution on a hot day turning the earth into a hot house, Not keeping a greenhouse warm in the winter. A van is way too small to hold much heat in the winter. Especially without adequate insulation.

I have an uninsulated window van and even with the sun shining, It's colder than you know what in there. I have a vent that leaks and almost broke my neck walking to the back of the van. There was actually a sheet of ice on the floor. Too cold for my blood.

What kind of vent? A window vent can be fixed with clear silicone and saran wrap. A floor vent you can find replacements at any JY for about $5.

I stopped the air leaks in my wing windows by cleaning the rubber with rubbing alcohol, then applying the silicone on that. I put saran wrap on the window and closed it most of the way. When it was dry, I pulled the wrap off, and trimmed up the edges. Total cost $5 for the silicone and more to use in other places. Much better than the $120 wanted for new rubber seals.