4WD Ford Econoline & What Else Is Going On...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonPye

Reaction score
My partner is getting more and more excited about hitting the road with me, which I'm super thrilled about. I had assumed I'd be mostly alone for this, and I still think I will be *mostly*, however, he's been getting more invested emotionally, so maybe I won't be alone as often as I thought. Recently, he's begun looking at listings for vehicles that are for sale that could be converted. We are esp interested in a small skoolie, however, I'd also really love to consider a 4WD van, and he's found one in the next state over. It's a 1978 Ford. The body is a mess, supposedly it runs, I'm sure it needs maintenance. They are asking close to nothing(less than a grand). Is this something that is worth looking more into? Going to see it, having a mechanic look it over? Opinions?

In other news, I have everything I need to actually use my "no-build" setup in my minivan (Chrysler Town & Country), but the northeast (where I currently am) just got hit with a major snowstorm and temps are suddenly no longer like spring, the holidays are upon us, I see people commenting it's better to stay put with the Covid situation as it is now... just so many little things adding up to one big "hold on a minute!" for me to get out there for any quick road trips. So, I guess I'm hanging out at the house a bit longer until I see a better time to start driving. I'm just being impatient, I already know. I'll stay put and get more details squared away. I'm putting some fairy lights in the back and need to get my curtain situation figured out a little better than I have it now. My headliner is falling down and it drives me crazy. I already made some window covers, but want curtains as well. Also just got these really neat Command hooks that look like brushed stainless that should look really nice in the van. 

I'm going over my checklists to make sure I'm prepared and wonder if I'm missing anything... 

Basically I have the usual: 
travel mattress(tri-fold), comforters & sleeping bags, laptop and hotspot service, 12V fridge/freezer (dual temp control), porta-potty, solar shower, first aid kit (just the basic kind), Coleman 2 burner cooktop with heat diffuser that I can use to warm up the back (and turn off before I go to bed), the usual utensils and I think I have one or two pans and a stainless steel dish and bowl. I feel like I'm missing something important... 

Thank you in advance for any of your thoughts or suggestions. 
Monica

I always advise against 4x4 conversion vans and that is a conversion. there are probably custom parts on that van that you can't buy anywhere. many of the conversion companies from that era are long out of business. I always say if you want a 4x4 buy a factory manufactured four wheel drive and stay away from the conversions. highdesertranger

I doubt you will find any 4 wheel drive that doesn’t require lots of work/money for $1,000. Since you are not getting a commitment from him why not let him build his own, that way when you travel you will always have a backup vehicle and more room. Be aware Command stick on hooks fail in high heat.

If it's a Quigley van, go for it!
They use Ford parts in their conversions, so certain parts may not be model correct as it wasn't 4WD from the factory, but it's still factory parts.
They hold their value well that I've seen, well running and in good shape. I've seen Quigley's from the 80s selling for up to $20k.
Plus I love older Ford vans...

Wow, thanks for the very helpful replies. You have given me stuff to think about and look for in that (or any) 4x4 van. We'll most likely pass it up now, but it was worth thinking about for a minute. I'm not sure if it's a Quigley... I know they are one of the most favourites and I'd love to find one of their conversions one day for a great deal.

Wondering if anyone else is purposely staying put because of the virus right now too? I was first thinking it would be the safest way to travel right now, being able to social distance and all, but I saw someone's comment somewhere along the lines that you really do not want to find yourself in an area that has an overcrowded hospital in case you test positive and need one. That's a really good point. And my health insurance only covers ER visits out of state, everything else I'd have to find my way back to PA. I guess I'm sitting still until spring, at the very least. Then I can plan my route by researching what it's like then with hospitals and rates after people start taking the vax. And I know, I know, I don't want to debate who is taking the vax and who isn't... just saying, I think things will change after people do start taking it, so I'll just not travel until I see how it affects the overall status of our pandemic situation. I'm just really impatient to get on the road, I miss road trips, and was one of the people stuck at home all summer this year (then I had my virtual real estate course over Zoom so had to be here for that as well). I really wish I had thought about traveling with the van over this past summer, and just staying in the state of PA, but unfortunately I was so overwhelmed with other stuff going on in my personal life... didn't start getting my stuff together for the "no-build" conversion until October, probably about two days before camping season ends in PA, lol. I was grieving the loss of our RV, a 30-ft monster from 1995 (a Thor) named Alluminati that we just didn't have the storage space for at our new house. We got rid of it with the plan of getting a much smaller one so we could travel more frequently with it, but then life happened and we haven't gotten a new one yet... and my idea to just travel in my van that I already own didn't dawn on me until too late. Oh well. Live and learn. Now we've got a foot of snow outside and below-freezing temps overnight, so I doubt I'm going anywhere for a couple of months now.

In case anyone is wondering, the small travel trailer is more for the comfort of people traveling with me, I'm totally fine with just doing the minivan. It's ok, either way, as long as I get out there. And I will! :)

bullfrog said:
I doubt you will find any 4 wheel drive that doesn’t require lots of work/money for $1,000. Since you are not getting a commitment from him why not let him build his own, that way when you travel you will always have a backup vehicle and more room. Be aware Command stick on hooks fail in high heat.
 For sure, I'd love for each of us to have our own. We have been talking about how we're going to handle the whole situation of him having to end the road trips early. We were thinking he would just fly back home and I would take my time coming back by myself... who knows. I'm actually not even sure we'd be able to afford that, but it's still to be seen what's going to happen with air travel rates in the next year anyway. 

He's really excited about doing a conversion in a small skoolie or maybe even a cargo trailer... either way, I'm just glad he's on board with my crazy dreams!

Sometimes the cheapest RV will become the most expensive RV by the time you are finished with needed maintenance, and repairs, better the van you know, than the one you don't.

Latest posts